Tell me about nighty newts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-17-2003, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These sound like the perfect diaper for my heavy wetter but how snappi friendly are they?

I see how the snapp would attach nicely to the terry on the sides but how well does the diaper+ snappi stay in place in the center? Would these be way to bulky for day use on an active toddler?
#2 of 16 Old 07-17-2003, 06:17 PM

I think I am snappi impaired, so I'm not exactly qualified to answer this (LOL) but I will pass along that I have heard they are not terribly snappi-friendly in the center and that they are a little bulky for day-wear. That said--if you need that level of absorbancy, then its certainly worth a try--they are supposed to be super-nice and oh so cozy soft! I have an order for some fleece-topped salamander soakers that I can't wait to try out!

HTH! (somehow!)
#3 of 16 Old 07-17-2003, 08:26 PM

I have never had a problem getting my Nighty-Newts to snappi in the middle and that is just about all we use at night anymore. I also happen to think that they are very trim, especially for a night time diaper.

Can you tell that I them?
#4 of 16 Old 07-17-2003, 08:51 PM

well, they are VERY trim for being a nighttime diaper (hence the name "nighty" newt LOL) But I have used ours during the daytime when I know we are going for a long car ride and need the extra absorbency because we aren't stopping as often. I think a NN would be "somewhat" trim during the day if you folded it into thirds and laid it in a cover or stuffed into a pocket cover.

Btw, I have never had a problem getting the middle snappi leg thingy to catch.

HTH
#5 of 16 Old 07-18-2003, 04:46 AM

not a snappi problem here at all! I wouldn't have just ordered more froggy fleecers and nighty newts from her if I couldn't use a snappi.. I am just not into pinning right now. I can't give a review on the nighty newts since i haven't used those yet.. but I have been using the froggy fleecers on my 3 month old at night under a wool soaker and it is the PERFECT nighttime solution for us! We don't even use a doubler
#6 of 16 Old 07-18-2003, 09:18 AM

I can't get the LLL site up at the moment, but I seem to remember that the Nighty Newts have a full layer of terry, not just a strip-- that's why the 3rd leg of the Snappi should work. However, I was concerned about this issue for the Froggy Fleecers (I got all hemp) so I requested a full layer of terry in place of fleece, and Stacy was happy to acoomodate. I'm sure she'd do the same for the NN if they do, in fact, have only a strip of terry.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#7 of 16 Old 07-18-2003, 11:36 AM

I have four Nighty Newts (and four more on the way, LOL) and they do not have a layer of terry, just the strip around the top. That said, I do not have a problem at all with getting the snappi to hook in the middle of the hemp fleece.

I can't wait for the other four to get here for Noble so that I can finally get rid of these FB. They are just not working for us at all right now. I can not get a good fit with them on him anymore. His waist is thicker than his hips : and the FB just ride....on.....down.....

That is another reason why I'm loving hemp prefolds right now. Completely adjustable!

***In light of the "is it a fair review if you know the WAHM involved" post, I feel that it is only fair that I include a disclaimer. I do post at another board at which Stacy of LLL is member. However, my reviews of her products have always been completely truthful on my part. I honestly love her products and her customer service. Besides my froggy fleecers, nighty-newts and salamander soakers, all I have in my stash are UBCPF, Bumkins AIO's, Honeyboys and HBHomes. I pay for her products just like everybody else and if I didn't genuinely love them, believe me...I would not spend my money! Disclaimer over***
#8 of 16 Old 07-18-2003, 12:36 PM

I've never had a problem with my NN not snappi'ing either. I've never used pins with them- I'm afraid of them, lol!

Ours are super soft and WAY absorbent- my dd can pee through 3 Joey's at night but we've never had a leak w/our NN and I don't use a doubler.

**I'll add my own disclaimer, too- I also post on another board where Stacy of LLL is a member (and my dd's pic is on her site , but I pay full price for her stuff just like everyone else and I wouldn't be spendin' the $$ if they didn't work. I'd just buy more Fireflies, hee hee **

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#9 of 16 Old 07-18-2003, 12:57 PM

Are these sold by Le Leche League or is the LLL for something else:
#10 of 16 Old 07-18-2003, 01:19 PM

Little Lounging Lizards

www.littlelounginglizards.com

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#11 of 16 Old 07-18-2003, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Are these sold by Le Leche League or is the LLL for something else
Oops! Sorry
#12 of 16 Old 07-18-2003, 02:02 PM

I don't have a problem snappi-ing mine, but I don't use them during the day, when the weight could really drag it down. I think they are overkill for regular day use, even with a heavy wetter, and I do find them somewhat bulky when folded in thirds stuffed in a pocket diaper (which I do with an XL HH for my 5 year old), but less bulky than some of the other options out there for heavy wetters.
If the Froggy Fleecers aren't enough for regular day use, I don't think baby is getting changed often enough. JMHO
#13 of 16 Old 07-18-2003, 02:36 PM

I fogot to ask...

Have you tried an all hemp Froggy Fleecer? That could be your answer right there!
#14 of 16 Old 07-18-2003, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hum, so do ya'll think that the all hemp FF would be more absorbant than a premium cpf?

At home we go coverless and, I kid you not, she pees every 20 minutes, and these aren't just a little dampness sort of pee-pees.

I'm looking for something DH friendly, but more absorbant than a premuim cpf.

DD will totally, totally soak a premuim CPF in less than an hour. And I simply can't ask the man to change her every 1/2 hour. We've just upgraded to toddler cpfs because dh thinks adding doublers is just too much work.

Anyway I'm hoping to find something snappi friendly but trimmer than toddler cpf's.
#15 of 16 Old 07-18-2003, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Hum, so do ya'll think that the all hemp FF would be more absorbant than a premium cpf?
Definitely!
#16 of 16 Old 07-18-2003, 07:10 PM
des

We primarily use Premium CPFs, and our Froggy Fleecers are definitely more absorbant than the CPFs. I use the FF for nighttime for my 5½ months old, LOL.

My dh doesn't like doublers either... especially with a prefold style diaper. LOL

HTHs!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page