hemp pfs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-17-2003, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok since it is not news to everyone here, I am new to CD but not to being a mother. And I need to know about the help prefolds... so here is a silly question; What do they FEEL like? I was given an assortment of pfs by someone online, and among them are cpfs, gerber pfs & some ?hemp? they are NOT bleached white, they are BIG and STIFF & kinda thin even. are they hemp pfs?
#2 of 11 Old 07-17-2003, 08:27 PM

Sounds like a possible Hemper. Does anyone have a 5 or 8 oz. Hemper available (washed) to show a picture of for comparison?
flminivanmama sells them, she might know.

If it is stiff it could be a line-dryed Premium Chinese Prefold. They come in bleached and unbleached. It would have 3 panels as well, but softer than a Hemper would be - and not as stiff.

Depending on the blend, it has been my experience that Hemp gets rougher with use WAY before it gets soft again.
#3 of 11 Old 07-17-2003, 10:02 PM

I have hemp fleece prefolds and hemp terry prefolds. Both are soft, but I find the hemp fleece to be softer. Many people find that hemp fleece gets very rough over time, but I have not yet had that problem. It is not as soft as the day they arrived, but theya re still very soft. Much softer than my other regular cotton prefolds. They are kind of a "fuzzy" soft, if that makes any sense at all, LOL!

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#4 of 11 Old 07-18-2003, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

OK, well there are 3 of these, and let me tell you.... they feel like CANVAS! I won't use em. I think I'll try Calgon x10! LOL. I don't know what else to do!!??
#5 of 11 Old 07-18-2003, 12:49 AM

I betcha they are Hempers then.
#6 of 11 Old 07-18-2003, 12:52 AM

Hmm. I just started cding. I'm using chinese prefolds, the unbleached kind. What you are describing sounds kinda like what they were like when I first got them. They were so thin and kinda canvasy like you desribed.. After several washes though, they have fluffed out amazingly...so soft now. It's amazing how they started out so thin...now they have fluffed out and are much thicker.

#7 of 11 Old 07-18-2003, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Heather, what in the world are Hempers good for??? If they are THIS STIFF & SCRACHY??? And what should I do, ohh Wise Mom? I know you are full of great ideas!
#8 of 11 Old 07-18-2003, 02:26 PM

We used Hempers w/my now 3 yo. They are stiff and they WON'T soften no matter how hard you try, but they are EXTREMELY absorbent. We used to pin them and put wraps over them. If you don't mind doing that, or trufolding them in a wrap, just put a doubler over them

Do you have a picture you can show??? Heres one from the mfgr site but not a great oneHempers

Chris Mama of J, A, C and M
Surromama of four
#9 of 11 Old 07-18-2003, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ms.Doula
Heather, what in the world are Hempers good for??? If they are THIS STIFF & SCRACHY??? And what should I do, ohh Wise Mom? I know you are full of great ideas!
Umm . . . sell them? :LOL

Okay, well . . . I'm all out of ideas for them. I've been told that, as was written above, they serve well as a diaper tri-folded in a wrap, but I'd want fleece over the top of them . . . b/c they are a bit scratchy.

The 8 oz. Hempers seem to be more stiff than the 5 oz. I can't believe more moms here don't use them . . . they used to be much more popular around here. Must be the increase of hemp selling - fitted diaper making WAHMs that have switched that 'tide' over from the prefolds.
#10 of 11 Old 07-18-2003, 04:01 PM

oops

I'm sure you could sell them or auction them if they won't work for you

Or how bout using them as a sort of lap pad or changing pad

you could sew a layer of fleece or hemp fleece on top

Chris Mama of J, A, C and M
Surromama of four
#11 of 11 Old 07-18-2003, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

I guess the first thing I should do it to completely strip all my diapers. Now if I could just decide wich method of doing that is best.... and I need to go buy calgon.

THANKS for the tips!

And if I still don't like these... Anyone who wants them feel free to let me know!
(I know a snappi will NOT work, sniff, sniff!)

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page