When giving diapering reviews... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-17-2003, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if you are a personal friend of the WAHM, do you mention that in your review? I know that to some extent it is easy to feel you have a good rapport with a WAHM and consider her a "friend" if you have been buying from her for some time, but I am talking about when you knew the WAHM before she became one or when your buying relationship has moved into plain old friendship. Would you find it necessary to mention that when giving a review of her product that you use? If you disliked her product would you just refrain from reviewing it publicly and if you liked it would you be more likely to rave about it than another product made by someone that you don't know on a personal level?

For instance, several diaper making mamas are my personal friends outside of business transactions. If I were to give you a detailed review of a product they made for me, at some point in the review I would make note that we are personal friends and not just know-each-other-through-business-transaction friends. I feel that it *does* bias my review in their favor by knowing them on a personal level and that it would be deceptive if I came in raving about this, that or the other and never mentioned "Oh and by the way, we chat every day online and we are good friends to boot".

Word of mouth is one of the best ways to gain business in the CD world and we all know that. If someone here raves about something, more than likely many of us will go check it out and several will buy. Is it dishonest to mislead the CDing public by not "outing" the personal friendship that could lead to a biased review? I ask because it seems to be a practice that I have seen several times lately and to me is just as rotten as when a negative review of a WAHM is given and then all the WAHM's friends come to her defense raving about her product. It just reeks of SPAM and I think in this type of thing, sometimes we are duped without knowing it.
#2 of 10 Old 07-17-2003, 09:42 PM

I think that if someone is a friend of the WAHM, then either they should refrain from reviewing, or put in the review that they are friends. I've noticed lately that there are a number of mama's who are friends of some new WAHMS, and who are posting like crazy about the WAHM's stuff. It makes me laugh especially because I can remember these very same mamas complaining on AW ages ago about wanting a review board just for consumers, and no WAHMs or WAHM friends were allowed because they wanted honest, unbiased reviews of products. I guess now that they are all WAHMs, it's different.

Edited to clarify a bit I think if you are truly friends with a wham, not just acquaintances, then you should be truthful about the friendship. I've been on the various diapering boards and lists for quite a while, and probably know just about everyone, but there's only one WAHM I'm truly friends with, yk? I don't think you need to reveal every wahm you've ever chatted with once in a while, or responded to her threads, or she to yours, etc. But I think if you chat frequently, are friends in real life, or are on private groups together, then you should probably let that be known in the review.
#3 of 10 Old 07-17-2003, 09:56 PM

I see your point. I guess I just hold out hope that people will be honest when they review a product. I would not rave about a product I didn't like just to boost the business of an online friend (or even a IRL friend). And where is the line between friend and acquaintance? I am "friendly" with a lot of people on message boards. Very few of them are WAHMs, but if they were, I honestly don't think I'd be biased toward their product. For me, whether I became friendly with a WAHM before or after I bought her product is inconsequential. I'm not saying this as eloquently as I'd hoped, and I believe I do understand what you're saying, but I don't think that it applies across the board to everyone, if that makes sense.

The other thing that occurs to me is very often it is the friends of a WAHM who are her first testers, so it seems only logical that these friends are the ones posting reviews.
#4 of 10 Old 07-17-2003, 09:58 PM

I think it is an important detail. The only way to make it fair for moms purchasing items is to be honest. It is true- so many people read the reviews and may purchase based on what they read.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#5 of 10 Old 07-17-2003, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I think that if someone is a friend of the WAHM, then either they should refrain from reviewing, or put in the review that they are friends. I've noticed lately that there are a number of mama's who are friends of some new WAHMS, and who are posting like crazy about the WAHM's stuff. It makes me laugh especially because I can remember these very same mamas complaining on AW ages ago about wanting a review board just for consumers, and no WAHMs or WAHM friends were allowed because they wanted honest, unbiased reviews of products. I guess now that they are all WAHMs, it's different.
#6 of 10 Old 07-17-2003, 10:58 PM

confucius say: false affirmation manifests itself in exposure of truth

To answer your question: Yes!

A personal relationship will taint our review of a friend's work, but when showing integrity by outlining said relationship in a review, you will not be cheating others. They understand the friendship. They understand you have posted that you love the diaper/cover. They can decide for themself if they trust you. If they do trust your words and buy based on your review - confucius' wisdom will show through. If the diaper is the pits . . . the truth is exposed. If the diaper is the best . . . the truth is exposed. If you do not reveal your relationship to the WAHM and rave and the diaper is a bomb . . . the truth is still exposed and your integrity and your future 'weight' in your raves will be lost (unless of course it is just a 'fit' issue - which we all recognize not all diapers fit all babies).
#7 of 10 Old 07-17-2003, 10:59 PM

when I review something and give it raves its because I love it. I have gotten things from personal friends that are now wahms and when I am not thrilled with it, I don't review or rave it anywhere.

I don't really care who knows who now-a-days. I've been in the diapering community for 2 years now, its kinda hard to not "know" wahms on a personal level.
#8 of 10 Old 07-18-2003, 12:53 AM

I don't think it is much of an issue. i have bought things from WAHM's i chat with and given raves, i have bought things from WAHM's i chat with and told others i don't think that WAHM's products would work for them. i have returned products i bought from good friends because it wasn't what i wanted, and i have refrained purchasing from some i call good friends because i am not impressed by what they have to offer.

quite simply , i wouldn't be that close of a friend to someone that expected me to give false glowing reviews, and i wouldn't sacrifice the integrity of my reviews by promoting something i didnt truly love. seems simple to me...tell the truth.

Quote:
It makes me laugh especially because I can remember these very same mamas complaining on AW ages ago about wanting a review board just for consumers, and no WAHMs or WAHM friends were allowed because they wanted honest, unbiased reviews of products. I guess now that they are all WAHMs, it's different.
i remember this differently but in the interest of civility, won't go there
#9 of 10 Old 07-18-2003, 01:40 AM

"quite simply , i wouldn't be that close of a friend to someone that expected me to give false glowing reviews, and i wouldn't sacrifice the integrity of my reviews by promoting something i didnt truly love. seems simple to me...tell the truth."

Very well said- I couldn't agree more.

And, fwiw, I don't rely solely on other people's reviews to make my decisions. I'm a grown-up and can decide for myself what to spend my money on. Even the most blatantly honest reviews may or may not be helpful to someone- if Jane says that XYZ diapers fit her baby perfectly and are the best thing since aplix and she is being totally honest and un-biased (and isn't friends with the wahm that makes them) and xyz dipes don't work for us at all, her review wasn't helpful. I think that some people are really quick to jump on bandwagons and buy what's "in" because of all the hype surrounding them and all the glowing reviews instead of focusing on their particular wants/needs. Reviews are/can be very helpful, but I think it's important to look beyond them, too.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#10 of 10 Old 07-18-2003, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriAnn

quite simply , i wouldn't be that close of a friend to someone that expected me to give false glowing reviews, and i wouldn't sacrifice the integrity of my reviews by promoting something i didnt truly love. seems simple to me...tell the truth.

ITA I won't "hurt" my integrity to help out someone with a not so up to par product. I stand behind what I say and if that person/product doesn't stand up to what I feel it was for me, I would be mad. I don't let personal feelings for a person get in the way of a product review, just like I am in testing. I tested for Steph (tuffykenwell I think is how it's spelled) of Recyclebees and yes she's a personal friend, but she will attest how I ripped her "baby" appart. She wouldn't have been able to improve her product and offer a good thing if I didn't seperate my friendship with her and the business of testing. Just like in product reviews, if you are unable to seperate yourself from business and personal, don't do the review or announce yourself as being a bit biased. I find products that I ABSOLUTLY love and do brag on them, but just because *I* love them doesn't mean they'll work for everyone. I think reviews are good for "quality control" information, but in the end, I inform myself on fabrics, and about how many layers would deem suitable for me, construction shape/style ect.

I also don't credit reviews that ONLY say it was a great product/customer service (and like wise to the negetive reviews), give me a reason WHY it was great/awful. ig. "I LOVED how this diaper fit my son. He is tall- slender, but with some thickness in the thigh. It fit him like a glove but with room to grow and didn't squeeze his legs or leave red marks. I love that it doesn't have the big ruffles that must be tucked in a cover or looks so girly on my boy. It does take longer to dry than I like, but I love super quick dry.....ect" you get the idea. When doing a product review I like the most info of how it fit (even if it didn't fit your child what is your childs build and how did it not fit so I can have a clearer way to judge).

NOW with that said, I don't know if I'd write a negative review on a friend, that wouldn't be very supportive, but maybe let her/him know in privet that I wasn't impressed with the product. I also wouldn't promote it if I wasn't pleased with it. I guess I expect what I give in a review, honesty, and if I feel missled, (ie. I read over and over how it was a great product and then got a shoddy shower curtain instead of a dipaer) I'd be very peaved. Anyway, no matter what, HONESTY is what is expected and if you can't be honest, don't review and don't promote and if that wahm is pushing you to "help her out" with promoting and reviews, she lacks integrity imo and not a very good friend to ask of you what you can't honestly give.

<~~~had to put those in since I'm doing this as we "speak" lol (that and I LOVE them)

Ahhh tea the essence of life.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page