How many dipes for 3 babies in the same size? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2003, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have 2 or 3 in the same size and can let me know how many diapers you use and how often do you wash? I know you're only supposed to wash a certain number at once so with 3 babies in the same size I'm thinking there's a limit to how many you really need.

I wash when my dry pail gets full about every third night and it's just right for us. I always have about 1 full day worth of diapers for an all day outing available if the dipes aren't dry when I need to leave the next day. I occasionally fall asleep once I put the cloths in the wash and they don't get taken out until the next morning. All in size Large (DD grew out of the mediums) we own about 15 pocket diapers (Fuzzi Bunz, Apronstringsbabythings, Happy Heinys), 18 SMJAE inserts, 8 Joey Bunz, 5 Hemp Fleece fitteds (3 Fireflys, Lizcloth, Baby Greens Growing Greens), and I also use polar fleece liners with pocket type inserts in my wool covers - 4 that are washed separately of course( Fuz Easy, Fuz Wool-in One, Liz cloth, Stacinator, and 2 Freshies Trimwraps to be made soon). My DH will not put anything other than a pocket on my DD but he knows to hang a wool cover and not throw it in the dry pail. He says a fitted and wool cover or worse, a liner, insert and wool cover is way too complicated for him.

My SAHM friend (of 4 kids) is just ending a messy divorce and didn't get what she needs financially and is trying to cut costs. She CD'd her 2nd baby for about 6-9 months but her DH was not supportive and actually opposed it so she gave it up. Now she gave him up which is the better choice in this case. She had used small Indisposibles with covers. I have what she could find of the Indisposibles(14) but they are all small. Her 2nd is now 2.5 yr old and she has 1 yr old twins. They are all around 20 lbs. and wear 18 month clothes (even the skinny 2.5 yr old toddler).

DH and I were thinking of helping her financially and what better way than to help her save money herself by buying cloth diapers? Once I know what she needs she'll ask me to order it for her anyway since she just got online last month and most every thing she needs clothe diaper wise needs to be purchased online.

I was thinking pockets with inserts might be the easiest for her (based on my DH) or the Hemp fitteds with covers but she may not want to deal with the wool even though I love them. Of course prefolds and covers would be the cheapest (sp?) if she can Snappi but I'm still working on that one. I'll have ask her. I think the kids would wear mediums but I plan to have her try mine on them and I hope to measure them.

Big question - how many? 36? I hesitate to loan her my mediums since I am due in 10 weeks and my babies are 10 lbs at birth so I'm guessing we'll be in smalls for a month or two at most.

WAHMs feel free to PM me if you've have an idea how many.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2003, 02:34 AM

I'm so sorry to hear you friend is going through a divorce, so painful...

Wow, I'd say 36 bare minimum. It's nice to have a cushion if you can't get the wash in on time.

Pockets are a great idea if she's not enthusiastic about learning Snappi. I just now am learning to love Pre-folds, but I don't really Snappi that often.

She's very blessed to have friends like you.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:45 AM

I would need 40 times as much as I really needed which would be 72, two dozen each child and I would use prefolds.........oh goodness did I say that. Really I would if I had that many in the same size.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:19 AM

my SIL is diapering twins and has 40 pockets, roughly 60 prefolds in preemie and infant, 20 hemp inserts, and 2 hemp diapers/covers

She does wash every day but could do wash every 2-3 days. The twins are 2 months now.

This is a comfortable stash for her and I think for multiple children, single mom with total 5 kids, over worked etc etc, the amount here allows for her to comfortably use cloth without the added stress of having to do extra laundry
Old 07-18-2003, 09:21 AM

Well, we need to remember that diaper changes slow down as she does not have 'babies' anymore that are going through 12 to 15 diapers a day. She has (2) 1 year old twins and a 2.5 year old.
I'm thinking that the 2.5 year old is probably only going through about 6-7 diaper changes a day and the 1 year olds are probably still at about 9 . . . I'm judging from what we did.

Soooo . . . with a wash every 2 days, you are looking at 3 dozen diapers MINIMUM with hardly any leeway or much to diaper while those are being washed.

I would probably go the route of prefolds as well and have 4 dz. That would sustain for 2 days wash and have some 'leftovers' for those nights when the sleepy bug gets you before the dipes get done.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:49 AM

edit because I read the post wrong. (Not enough coffee yet...lol)

I would go with a minimum of 4 dozen. I tried to CD a 14mo with 1 dozen toddler prefolds and 2 HH for a while. I did laundry at least 2 times a day. (wow, that was NUTS!) I now have 1 doz toddler & 2 doz premium size and can do laundry every 2-3 days. I would push toward 4-6 dozen. The more dipes, the easier it would be if they got sick. (horrible dipes, more dipes if diarreah, cranky kids, tired mom....a few extra dipes would make it MUCH easier).

Your a great friend to do this for her! She is so lucky to have you in her life!

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:05 AM

till last month I had 3 in diapers that are the same size... the opposite of her - 3 year old twins (one is now potty trained) and a 2 year old. I have a mega capacity washer and you still can only fit so many in there so don't go overboard. I have almost 40 diapers (30 daytime diapers and 9 nighttime diapers).
don't forget too that you can always buy more later if needed

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 07-18-2003, 11:57 AM

I wasn't really thinking about the fact that you can only stuff so many dipes in a washer at a time.

on the other hand, If they tend to get sick...which will probably be a bit more likely if she has to put them in daycare like most single moms, you might still consider getting a few extra. I only have one, but my friends with muliple children always have all of them get sick at the same time. when that happens they go through a lot more dipes and you have less time to clean them. It's really a toss up. If it were me, I would weight the opinion of those with more kids heavier than my opinion.

Mom to 10yo Autistic Wonder Boy and 6yo Inquisitive Fireball Girl . December birthdays.

Old 07-19-2003, 01:06 AM

plus a cushion.

I have probably 40 dipes, and a huge washer, but I am still doing dipes every couple of days. the pail gets full, and wonderfully enough for me, that is a full load. That means I'm washing about 1/2 or less of my dipes at a time, but the extra allows me to line dry, which I love, and also allows for a bit of rain .

If you go with prefolds, more will fit in the pail. Fitteds just take more room. I use a combination.

User Tag List