How tightly do you fasten diapers/covers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tend to fasten our diapes and covers pretty snugly, as ds is very slender but on the tall side. But I've noticed that dh puts them on pretty loosely. And then lately I've been seeing red marks on his waist and thighs when I take off the diaper (one that we have used previously without marks), and it makes me think I'm doing it too tightly.

So, how snugly to you fasten? As tight as you can (without hurting them of course), or just as much as is necessary to make it fit?
#2 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 01:37 AM

With my son, I did it as tight as I could. But, he was so skinny that it would fall off of him if I didn't get it good and tight.

With my daughter, I do it a little more losely, especially if the rise it high. She is one big budda belly! :LOL But, she's not yet walking so I may have to tighten it when she does. She did practically scoot out of her diaper today....so maybe a bit too lose!
#3 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 01:39 AM

because my guy has colic and it can really be horrible for him if he has a really tight diaper, learned this the hard way! So if the waist has no elastic at all like the fuzbaby diapers it is so much easier on my little guys tummy. Or if they are low in the rise it is good too, I find cuddlebuns low in the rise on him and they are good for him too. I use to put them tight on Zeke as he had no digestion problems and he was so big everything was small on him, even the large fuzbaby was small on him. He is slimming down now that he will be three next week!
#4 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 01:46 AM

I fasten them as loosely as possible. I don't like things squeezing my belly and I don't think my baby does either, lol

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#5 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 05:00 AM

I've always been one to fasten tightly, particularly since I started out with prefolds and bumkins covers. But now I have all Happy Heiny's and I've noticed that Eliza often cant bend in the middle. They have quite a high rise, and she's only 4 months so not sitting yet, but were she older, she definitely wouldnt be able to. So now I have been trying to angle the tabs downwards a bit and put them on a bit looser, so that she can actually move a bit. It doesnt seem to cause any leaking around the legs done this way.
#6 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 08:22 AM

I use a snappi and prefolds primarily - so when I fasten the cover I am much less concerned about 'snugness' because the legs and waist are secured with a snappi.

However, I imagine I would work hard to fasten snuggly if I were just tri-folding a prefold into a wrap style cover, because I would want everything to stay contained, so to speak.

Another reason to secure with snappis or pins!
#7 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 11:27 AM

This is another reason why I like side snapping diapers - I leave it loose around the waist and tight around the legs. Maximum comfort, minimum blowouts.
#8 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 01:31 PM

I fasten only tight enough to stay on.
I don't like tight stuff around my waist, so I don't think my little one would either.
#9 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by famousmockngbrd
This is another reason why I like side snapping diapers - I leave it loose around the waist and tight around the legs. Maximum comfort, minimum blowouts.
ditto.
#10 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 02:19 PM

I do like Teri and Jen when using side snap.

I snap snugly, but as I snap I have one or two fingers inside so I know it doesn't get too tight.
#11 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 03:11 PM

Since I snappi prefolds (or flats), I don't have to put the cover on very snug. Just enough that all the diaper stays inside.

But when I snappi, I pull until I see his eyes bug out and then loosen up till they -just- go back in.
#12 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chellemarie

But when I snappi, I pull until I see his eyes bug out and then loosen up till they -just- go back in.
:LOL
#13 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 03:42 PM

Quote:
This actually made me literally :LOL

For some reason I have this mental image of Chelle on the phone with her DH, talking him through a diaper change:
"Are his eyes bugging out yet? No? OK, tighter... now are they bugging out? Good - now loosen a little bit... did they go back in? Are they back in now? Now? OK - stop! That's good."

:LOL
#14 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 03:44 PM

as tight as I can.
but I'm prety new at this, so maybe I'm being neurotic about that.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#15 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 03:58 PM

Chelle, that reminds me of those plastic squeeze dolls . . . ears and eyes bug out and tongue sticks out . . . I too had to :LOL at that one.
#16 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 04:01 PM

Heather...I had a dolly that gave "kisses" when you squished her tummy.

My dad was in a band back then and I would take this dolly with me to play with at practice. I could never figure out why the men thought my doll was funny.

Sickos!
#17 of 18 Old 07-18-2003, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HeatherSanders
Chelle, that reminds me of those plastic squeeze dolls . . . ears and eyes bug out and tongue sticks out . . . I too had to :LOL at that one.
OK, I must of lead a sheltered life because I never heard of such a thing..........LOL! Too funny!
#18 of 18 Old 07-19-2003, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Since I snappi prefolds (or flats), I don't have to put the cover on very snug. Just enough that all the diaper stays inside.

Chelle, I really need you to come over here and clean the off my computer screen now :LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page