How do I do this whole wipes/warmer/solution thing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2003, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok, so I have a ton of cloth wipes I made, and a wipe warmer, and I followed a recipe I found here (Heather's?) for wipe solution. (I've been using just plain water on my wipes til now)

Now, what do I do with all this?

Do I dunk the wipes in the solution, wring them out a bit, and put them in the warmer?
Or do I pour the solution over the wipes in the warmer? How much solution do I use? I made 3 cups.
Should the wipes be soaking in the solution, or just damp, or what?

I need more specific info here. Sorry if this is a silly question.., I'm just honestly not sure what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2003, 09:27 AM

I don't use a warmer . . . I used a squirt bottle and just squirt the mix on the wipe and then wipe Kenny's bum. I didn't want the upkeep of a warmer - even with the tto in the mix it would need a daily 'wipe-out' to keep bacteria build-up and other 'nasties.'
Old 07-18-2003, 10:02 AM

I never have used a warmer. I was c/o about mold and bacteria. (my DD got used to the cool rag) I find it easiest to make a solution and pre-wet them for the day.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

I wasn't going to use a warmer, but Ozaiis freaks out if the wipes are cold and I just got sick of standing in front of the sink waiting for the hot water while I'm trying to change his diaper. It probably takes a good chunk out of my day.

So I started a thread askign for suggestions on how to keep my wipe solution warm and everyone suggested a warmer.

:LOL
Old 07-18-2003, 11:47 AM

So if I was to use a warmer-
I would put the wipes in and pour the solution over the wipes, only make enough wet to last a day at a time, wash the container out before refilling.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:33 PM

I haven't ever had a mold/mildew/mustiness problem - I put a stack of wipes in the warmer, pour water over/around them, sometimes lifting some wipes to pour into the middle of the stack to make sure they all get wet. I find it easier than wetting wipes one at a time, especially when there is a big poop to clean up, and Griffin loves the warm wipes.

A little warm-bottom tip: when you open the warmer, flip the stack over and take the wipe from the bottom of the stack. So warm! It also helps to keep the moisture and heat evenly distributed.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 07-18-2003, 02:25 PM

I do exactly what funshine suggested, and it works great! My solution includes a couple drops of tea tree oil and I've never had any mustiness or yucky slime

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 07-18-2003, 07:44 PM

and I add a few drops of tea tree oil and lavender to the water. I have never had a bacteria problem in the warmer, and we have used the same system since my oldest was born. Because we all change diapers so often, I have never understood the fear or fuss about bacterial growth in the warmer. Also, I use all of the wipes in the warmer in one day anyway, so the solution is always fresh, and the warmer is cleaned each evening. (Actually I am more fearful of germs and nasties escaping my diaper pail than I am bacteria in my wipe warmer.....the wipes are clean, but dirty dipes are, well, dirty)

We pour our water/oil solution over dry cloths in the warmer so that they are saturated. My 2 1/2 year old loves his warm cloths, as did his older brother, and I am looking forward to using them on our new baby soon. They are also great for quick wash-ups after playing outside!
Old 07-18-2003, 07:49 PM

I put the wipes in the warmer and pour or squirt the solution over them. I might flip them around a bit so they all get wet. I've not had any problems with this system and end up using them all up every 1-2 days anyhow.

User Tag List