Camping with cloth... do i have enough?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-18-2003, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok mama's DH has informed me we will be going camping in 2 weeks and i will be taking cloth ... My DH said to buy what i needed to last us the three days we will be gone so this is what is have so far

30 CPF most are premium a few are regulars
1alexis pull on
1 bummis cotton pants
1 alexis velcro wrap

should i get a few more CPF? we are leaving friday after noon and will be home late sunday night.......
we are doing as heathers site suggested and we are gonna rinse the dipe (the pee ones) in the lake and disspose of the poop and then rinse those as well and then them to dry then put them in the pail since there are no were to do ..... so here is my quetion do i need more covers do i have enough CPF and which hold in smells better the PUL drawstring bag i have or should i get one that zips shut......oh and since today is my birthday i feel i should get to buy something so i am open for suggetions......... thanks ladies.....
#2 of 10 Old 07-18-2003, 12:19 PM

To ensure you have enough (which I believe you do for a 16 month old), you just need to count how many dipes your babe goes through regulary and add 2 or 3 to that just for grins per day.

1. If you are rinsing them out and line drying to reduce the weight (doing the actual 'wash' when you return home) you will not have the stink that you think you'll have. They actually will not have much of an odor at all - and once dry it won't matter WHAT you store them in - use what you have available.

2. I would definitely bring along 2 to 3 more covers. It is a hot season and you will want to rotate out covers through the day to keep your baby smelling fresh. I would suggest lightweight nylon covers as they air out easily, dry fast and pack down well.

3. If you are near a lake, I would recommend taking a bucket to cleanse the wipes in OUTSIDE of the water . . . a lake is 'standing' water and it would be better not to rinse out your dipes in an area you may be swimming in shortly. An old paint bucket or plastic detergent bucket works well.
#3 of 10 Old 07-18-2003, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

oh good idea about the bucket........ i will have to do that.... so are the bummis and alexis pull ons really breathable...... it is so hot out i dont want to fry his litle swimmers cause they were to hot in his cover..... i do plan to let him go cover less some also.... oh i forgot to get snappis i wonder how may i should take.......incase i loose one.......
#4 of 10 Old 07-18-2003, 12:27 PM

We have had babes in Diapers in S. Texas, Central Texas and in Georgia and it is HOT . . . yes, pull-on nylon pants DO breathe.

I'd take (2) snappis! We've had 2 since we started using them. One stays in the diaper bag and one on the changing table/or Kenny (if he's not in a fitted).
#5 of 10 Old 07-18-2003, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

thanks heather.. your site was very informative.......i really thought my DH would want to use sposies but he never uttered the word sposie........ he just told me to get what ever cloth i would need...... gosh i love him to death some times......ok i am off to order a few more pull ons and 2 more snappis.......... are the cottton bummis pull ons as breathable as the just palin ones?
#6 of 10 Old 07-18-2003, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ryansmom02
.......... are the cottton bummis pull ons as breathable as the just palin ones?
Nope! They wick (in my experience). They are also not as cool. Other opinions on this?
#7 of 10 Old 07-18-2003, 03:00 PM

I'd take 4 snappis myself- I noticed when we were vacationing that I kept losing them in the hotel and beach bag because we were out of our familiar environment and less organized- as well as having dh put m in where I couldn't find them.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#8 of 10 Old 07-18-2003, 04:43 PM

I would also get a wool cover for overnight. It breathes and can be used each night. Just let it air dry during the day and it will be ready for night-time. Might as well take advantage of the offer to get what ya need.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#9 of 10 Old 07-18-2003, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

ok i am glad i only got one bummis cotton wrap then........ turns out we are going camping next weekend so i need to get some snappi's fast...... and a friend of mine is giving me her laundry bucket to rinse my dipes in......
#10 of 10 Old 07-18-2003, 05:08 PM

we do a lot of camping and backpacking with dd and came up with our own dipes just for those trips. we tried bringing out cpf a few times and they took SOOOOOO long to dry. here's a link to how we made our camping dipes:

camping w/ cloth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page