Washing help needed quick... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2003, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, Mamas

My lil guy is just a few days old, so I'm just now doing my very 1st load of cloth dipes. Well, every poopy diaper is now stained on. I put them in a dry pail and within 24 hours I put them in an overnight cold soak, did a cold prewash, then a hot/cold cycle with just a bit of liquid detergent. Why are these yellow stains still there? I didn't rinse them, because I was told BF poopies can go stright in the washer...no rinsing needed : I haven't put them in the dryer yet...

Help! What did I do wrong?? :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2003, 01:06 AM

first, you don't really need to use that overnight soak. That can actually make stains worse.

But the good news is that if you line dry, almost all the stains will come out.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:07 AM

Sounds like you did everything right. I have found those yellow bf poo stains really fade away in the sun. Can you hang them outside somewhere? If you can, I would just keep them in the washer till tomorrow (if you don't need them) so they will still be damp when you put them outside.

The stains will fade after subsequent washings as well.

HTH~
Old 07-20-2003, 01:12 AM

Any time I have stains that need to come out I do a cold soak overnight with baking soda and it pretty much will lift out most stains. However, Kenny's poops have been awful lately and I've found that getting as much off before putting it into the washing machine has made concerns about stains beomce a thing of the past. That is, until I fed him those blueberries smushed . . . we put those out in the sun! :LOL

What detergent are you using. In some areas there is a high mineral content in the water and you really have to use more detergent to cut through the mineral content for better cleansing.

Remember also . . . though we hate stains . . . stains don't mean the diaper is dirty. The diaper could actually be clean, but the stains just didn't get lifted, y'know? Of course, most of us want the stain free diapers, but I didn't want you concerned that they weren't clean enough to use.

Have you tried line-drying?
Old 07-20-2003, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response! I guess I'll have to have Dh put a line up tomorrow I asked him to put one up a few months ago..still waiting :

Edited to add~ I used ALL liquid...is there a better brand?

Old 07-20-2003, 01:17 AM

Actually, I find that a long cold soak with a little bit of detergent or stain treatment or baking soda can do wonders to get almost any kind of stain out. I just use some baking soda in my cold soak, but still have yellow stains, but I do it because it helps loosen the poop for the prewash. I like to spin out all that poopy pee pee water before doing my hot wash.
If you can't sun the stains out, you can try adding Shout Oxy Power to your hot wash. That helps get the stains out, but I still have some, even with using it, they are just not as bad. Really, sunning them is the best solution. But you could also just leave them and use them. I found they usually came out in the next wash.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:17 AM

No, I would think that ALL would be able to get out whatever is on those diapers of yours.

You are going to hate me for saying this, but you may want to consider getting one of those squirters or something to help cleanse your soiled diapers before placing them in the diaper pail. I never had to do that with Meredith, but find I do have to do that with Kenny and I use the same detergent I did then.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:32 AM

You don't absolutely have to have a line. I either use a drying rack or lay a sheet on the grass and lay the dipes put there. The sheet method works great because the areas you want to concentrate on will get tons of direct sunlight. But if he does hang a line for you will you sned him my way to hang one too? :LOL
Old 07-20-2003, 01:34 AM

I know that Bac Out works wonders for us. We don't use it all the time, but it's also great for bad smells.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:38 AM

Good point Trish! I just have a small wooden drying rack, but sometimes I'll hang things over the backs and on the seats of lawn chairs too.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:07 AM

from Melaleuca. It has Tea Tree Oil in it already! (This kills germs, so you know THE DIAPS ARE SANITARY) And it is ALL NATURAL, and environmentaly safe & safe for your kiddo! (Not to mention IT WORKS GREAT ON POOP STAINS!!!!!!) And then, YES! I would deffinately sun them. maybe every other wash to keep em stainless. (unless you want to re-sell the diaps later... a few stains isn't too bad honest!)

Old 07-20-2003, 12:57 PM

I also waited far too long for my dh to put up a line for me. My solution? We had a dog tie-out that wasn't being used in the backyard (not the chain ones--the vinyl coated one) so I wrapped it around one of our deck posts and strung it to another post, and voila! I had a line.

And I agree...stains aren't SO bad. You gotta expect 'em every now and then. I've found that repeated use tends to lighten them and sunning them every now and again really helps. I try not to worry about stains so much, unless I know I want to sell the dipe. Fleece liners help too, but I'm too lazy for that! :LOL
Old 07-20-2003, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for the advice. I know stains aren't the end of the world, just ugly : I didn't think about just a drying rack...maybe I'll do that instead

Heather~ I was actually planning on getting one of those toilet attachment thingies...it's on my long list of todos

Thanks again
Old 07-20-2003, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Forevermama
Heather~ I was actually planning on getting one of those toilet attachment thingies...it's on my long list of todos

Thanks again
It is on my list too . . . Kenny's poops are INSANE! What is up with that? How can two kids' poops differ so drastically!

It is bad when you can't tell whether a diaper has been used to wipe a mouth or wipe a butt! That butternut squash looks the same coming and going. :LOL
Old 07-20-2003, 08:29 PM

Quote:
you may want to consider getting one of those squirters or something to help cleanse your soiled diapers before placing them in the diaper pail. I never had to do that with Meredith, but find I do have to do that with Kenny and I use the same detergent I did then.

So, Heather, does this mean that you use a wet pail???
:

I thought dry pailing it was the "way to go" ? (I know we have had this discussion here before...but its been a little while.)

Old 07-20-2003, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by HeatherSanders
It is bad when you can't tell whether a diaper has been used to wipe a mouth or wipe a butt! That butternut squash looks the same coming and going. :LOL
So true, so true! :LOL
Old 07-20-2003, 11:34 PM

Ms.Doula . . . no, still no wet pail, but I have officially entered the land of 'Dunkerville.' I used to say 'No chunks, no dunks . . . but my motto has changed since Kenny's dipes stain so badly.' I find that if I do a toilet wring-out, that the stains will come out easily in the wash. If I just toss it in the dry pail . . . I may have to sun them a bit.

User Tag List