How do you eliminate the diaper pail smell? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-19-2007, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to find ways to help control the smell of my diaper pail when I CD. I want to CD twins but after about the second day the diaper pail smells awful. It's the urine smell. It'll knocked you off your feet. I have tried the tree tea oil and baking soda. Any other suggestions? My husband refuses to CD because of the smell.

SAHM to a set of beautiful twins :, one beautiful angel baby (baby c), and one crazy furbaby :
#2 of 10 Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 AM

with one baby i wash about every 3 days, so probably with twins you would have to wash every other day....also i found these little yellow discs at babies r us that i put at the bottom of my pail. not sure how much they halp, but u could try that too!! prehaps once your dh knows how much money you will save he might offer to throw the diaper load in every other day

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#3 of 10 Old 09-19-2007, 09:56 AM

When you say after the second day, does that mean you are washing every three days? Or, does it stink on day 2? I find that I really need to wash every two days to keep the smell at bay. Plus, with twins, you probably have more than enough diapers (around 24 at most) for a load in that time.

Honestly, I have never had a big stink issue with my newborn (no shock there) or with my toddler when he was in diapers. I think it really depends on you pail system and how often you wash. Is your pail open or closed? I tend to use an open pail (open garbage pail with a pail liner) or a highly vented one (garbage pail with the step on lid lined with a wet pail- the lid is never really closed). If you are using something that is all closed up tight, you will have a huge smell. When air is allowed to circulate, you won't have such a buildup of smell.

When you use baking soda, are you putting it on top of the wet diapers? If I had smell issues with my son's dipes, I could put some baking soda on top of the smelly diaper, and that would usually solve the problem. I also used a baby wipe at the bottom of the pail with some essential oils.

How long have you been using cloth? What diapers are you using? Did you buy them new or used? There are a lot of questions that could help narrow down your problem.
#4 of 10 Old 09-19-2007, 10:00 AM

with my first and second (both in diapers at seperate times) i used a tall circular laundry basket (think trash can w/holes) and never had a single stink issue...now that i have my second and third child both in diapers i use a liner cinched down and don't have any issues either...but i wash nightly, or every day and a half i could only imagine the stink comming off of a 2.5 day pail!!
#5 of 10 Old 09-19-2007, 10:37 AM

I have a second bathroom where I put one of those wooden clothes drying racks in the shower. I would rinse the pee diaper and fling it on the rack. And the end of the day, I'd check for dry ones and put those in the diaper pail to make room for the next day's rinses. Doing this meant very little odor to the pail. I had 36 infant prefolds and I'd wash when I was getting down to the last 6... so wash on the 3rd day sometime?

A.
#6 of 10 Old 09-19-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe27 View Post
I have a second bathroom where I put one of those wooden clothes drying racks in the shower. I would rinse the pee diaper and fling it on the rack. And the end of the day, I'd check for dry ones and put those in the diaper pail to make room for the next day's rinses. Doing this meant very little odor to the pail. I had 36 infant prefolds and I'd wash when I was getting down to the last 6... so wash on the 3rd day sometime?

A.
wow thats a good idea!!
#7 of 10 Old 09-19-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raversangel View Post
wow thats a good idea!!
but a ton of work!!

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#8 of 10 Old 09-19-2007, 12:22 PM

I squirt some bac out in there. Also, I use the little smelly discs in that special vent they put up top of the pail.

http://www.softclothbunz.com/Citrus-...er_p_0-17.html

They really work!
#9 of 10 Old 09-19-2007, 10:58 PM

Does your pail have a tight-fitting lid? It sounds counterintuitive, but a loose-fitting lid, or a lid left partially open, can actually cut down or even eliminate pee odors, because the dipes are able to dry out.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#10 of 10 Old 09-20-2007, 12:28 PM

What type of diaper pail are you using? I have just started putting some lavender essential oil on a cltoh wipe and tossing it in the pail if it starts to stink. I use a stainless steal garbage can with a tight fitting flip top lid, it really contains the smell. Our house is on the market, so I definitely don't want any diaper odors in the house, and I wash every 3 days.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page