Anyone willing to donate preemie and/or nb prefolds... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 08-07-2003, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What about sleepers and clothing? I am getting my package ready right now with preemie prefolds and about a dozen velcro PUL covers and some receiving blankets......but I have a bunch of sleepers and stuff too? Is that okay?

Desiree

#32 of 52 Old 08-27-2003, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A few more thank yous to add:

pb_and_j
A. in Vero Beach, FL
J. in Philadelphia

One of the moms who works on this project just went to Berezka, Boyarka (both in Kiev) and Antoshka and Roschitsa in Kramatorsk, and said that the diapers are really, really anticipated. Also, in addition to Kherson (the place I'm collecting for), Antoshka has a desperate need for bedding as well. Thanks to all who have helped--and if I've forgotten you, PLEASE PM me and let me know! And if you want to send stuff, please PM me!

If you live in Canada, by all means check out http://www.thebabymarketplace.com

She has a "Aid for Orphans" page where you can learn in depth about the need and where you can send things to a Canadian address or donate $ to feed the babies. $5 a month gives a baby under 18 months an extra 2 feedings a day--the difference between just enough and malnutrition.

Thanks folks--you have such kind hearts!

BTW, on the diaper collection, we're now at 212 covers and 392 diapers! Goal is 200 covers and 900 diapers for Kherson. I'm still collecting covers for other orphanages, and of course still collecting diapers.
#33 of 52 Old 08-27-2003, 03:17 PM

i went to that link and saw those used pampers hung to dry out! and those poor babies sitting on pots!
i want to help....im gonna go through my stuff and see what i can gather! and i'll pm or email you to figure out where to send it....what an angel you are, organizing this and making people aware!
#34 of 52 Old 08-27-2003, 03:18 PM

Do you only want prefolds, or are velcro dipes okay?

-Melissa.
#35 of 52 Old 08-27-2003, 04:04 PM

what about baby clothing? coats? sleepers? and what kind of food? packaged pasta? bisquit mix? is this worth sending? i might end up with 30 lbs of stuff to send myself!
#36 of 52 Old 08-27-2003, 06:36 PM

OK I'm confused... can we just go to the site and ship stuff directly to the orphanage? or do we have to ship to the "organizer" in Oregon? or ship to you?

sorry i'm so dense... but i have sooooooooooooooooo much stuff i could send, cpfs, clothes, etc... i just want to do it in the most efficient way possible.

thanks!!

Lo
#37 of 52 Old 08-27-2003, 06:45 PM

That slide show - well, it was hard to think of anything else the rest of the night the first time I saw it! And yet, I was thrilled to see the place looks well kept for what they have.
#38 of 52 Old 08-27-2003, 07:50 PM

i noticed that too, heather. the orphanage looked very clean!
the photo's of before and after are just so sad. it crushes me to think of babies going without full tummy's and learning to live with soiled bums....and the thought of cutting back feedings for less diaper changes just tears me up! our babies are so so so so lucky.
yeah id love to send some stuff out. i have a two lb bag of animal cookies id like to throw in, but do they accept food items?
#39 of 52 Old 08-27-2003, 09:56 PM

I would like to donate all my snappis(NIP) and some UBCPFs. Can I also donate other non diaper relaed items? We have clothes up the wazoo and all kinds of stuff you wouldn't believe. I also have a bunch of small tushies we never used.
I'll pm you when i get it all together.
Lauren
#40 of 52 Old 08-27-2003, 10:19 PM

Any need for training pants? How about wipes? I've got a box to send (I might not get it mailed for a few weeks,I've got a bunch of flannel lying aroung and I want to make some receiving blankets) so if someone could PM me with the address, I'd appreciate.
#41 of 52 Old 08-28-2003, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sometimes you need a check to remind you how lucky our babies are to have clean cloth on their bums and warm milk in their tummies. It is amazing to me that mamas can leave their babies- but then again I am not in their shoes. How do you adopt a baby from there? Is there a link about adoption? My 5 month old is 17lbs- more then some 3 year olds! And for those babies not to have a mama and daddy to hold them and tell them they are loved- broken heart here- broken heart!

I just got rid of tons of stuff- But I do have some things that Rainey is out of and I will send it along. I will also pass the word out- I will make a flyer for our Co/op and ask for donations- the 's are nice like that!

Sending kisses to all of those babies who need more love than they are getting- If only they knew how much they really are "loved" - I wish I could feel all their tummies.

What a wonderful thing you are doing.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#42 of 52 Old 08-28-2003, 01:28 AM

Hey, with all the stuff headed Melanie's way, it might be helpful for some that don't have anything to send to aid in the shipping efforts. That is going to be one heck of a heavy lot of packages to get to the Ukraine, y'know.

Love to see the

Oh, and there are links regarding adoptions - abrah.org has a links page here.
#43 of 52 Old 08-28-2003, 04:26 AM

I made up a flyer to post at the food co-op, the mainstream grocery store and anyplace else that will let me. Is all of this accurate? Should I add anything?

Please feel free to copy and alter for posting in your area or PM me and I can email you the works file. Thanks!

Desperate Orphans Need Your Help

At Kherson Regional Children’s Home in the Ukraine, children are deliberately kept dehydrated to conserve a scarce supply of diapers.

Wet disposables are dried on a line and used again and again like cloth until they fall apart.

Babies sleep three to a crib in ragged clothing.

Thankfully, things are improving because of the generosity of families in the United States and other privileged countries. You can help by mailingdesparately needed supplies. There is a constand need for cloth diapers and covers, dry or bar laundry soap, diaper rash ointment, toiletries, first aid supplies, receiving blankets, undergarments, clothing and shoes for children from birth to age five.

Please mail your donations in useable condition to:

Kherson Regional Children's Home
c/o Nazarene Ministry of Help
5805 SE Gladstone
Portland, OR 97206
Telephone: (503) 777-9039
Fax: (503) 774-4969
Attention: Viktor

OR make a donation at www.abrah.org

OR donate a cloth diaper at www.thebabymarketplace.com and the owner will provide the shipping to the Ukraine.

For more information and a current list of the orphanage’s needs, please visit www.abrah.org
#44 of 52 Old 08-28-2003, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have some Diaper Cream I have never used and never will use- would that work? It is Aveno- but I worry about them making the dipaers nasty- WDYT?

Okay PM me your address and I will send off what I have. I will pass the word around my area too- Posters going up at the Co/op today!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#45 of 52 Old 08-29-2003, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Anita (and other putting up flyers),

I like the idea of the flyer, but a few things to note: The mission in Portland does NOT collect this stuff. All they do is ship 30+ lb packages to Ukraine--they're like a cheap version of UPS for getting things to Ukraine. If someone sends something to Nazarene Ministry of Help, they also have to send $18 ($12 for the box up to 30 lbs, $6 for shipping w/i Ukraine) and the address of the actual orphanage--in this case, the Kherson Regional Children's Home in Kherson, Ukraine (the specific addy is on the Abrah website), plus an additonal $.40 per lb over 30 lbs.

If people suddenly start sending their small donations to Viktor at Nazarene, it'll be a big mess, because the mission (Nazarene) doesn't have the $ to ship these things--they just act as a conduit.

What I've been doing is collecting the stuff myself and sending it to Ukraine. It costs about $1 a lb to ship, mostly because I have to pay to ship it to Oregon, first, THEN to Ukraine. I live in MA, so shipping to Oregon is a NIGHTMARE. That's why it's an average of $1 a lb for me. Someone living sloer to Oregon would pay far less to ship to the mission, then ship to Ukraine.

So, a few thoughts:

* you can act as the conduit, and try to get folks to chip in a few bucks for shipping, then ship a large box (30+ lbs) yourself to Nazarene

* you can put my email down, and folks can contact me directly about what to send. I'd rather this than my address.

* you can explain the 30lb issue, costs, etc. in the flyer, but I've found this gets complicated.

Thanks SO MUCH for getting this involved. It's really warming my heart to get these donations, to see other moms in action here, and to know that help really is on the way for these kids.

Best,

Mel
#46 of 52 Old 08-29-2003, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I just saw all the OTHER posts before and here are the answers to a few questions:

1. Food and wipes: shipping food there, well, it depends. I ship cans of powdered formula and dry baby cereal that I get free. It costs me $1 a lb to send something, so I have to figure whether it's costing MORE to ship it than it would cost to buy in Ukraine. We found a supplier of formula and can get it for $1.80/can in Ukraine, so if I get a free can and ship it for $1, then it's worth it. But I'm not buying a $12 can of formula to ship, KWIM? Same with wipes--they're heavy, so it isn't cost-effective to ship. So I generally don't send food.

2. Snappis. Send them to me if you'd like! I'm collecting them and am in the process of making a "photo album" using my son as the model to show how they're used.

3. Current needs:

* winter clothes of any kind, up to age 7
* coats and snowsuits
* winter shoes and boots, up to size 1
* crib sheets, twin sheets, blankets
* formula--like those free cans of POWDER you never know what to do with? also, if you ever get checks for formula for $10 (yes, they do send them!), or free can of formula coupons (like the Wal-Mart ones) you can mail them to me. I've received two $10 checks from folks and it bought two cans of formula.
* dipes, dipes, dipes

4. Shipping. You can send things directly to me at:

Melanie Zoltan
101 Rolling Green Dr.
Amherst MA 01002

OR if you have 30lbs or more (a little under isn't a big deal) and you want to pay for shipping, please PM me. I'll explain the exact process. Bascially you ship the box to the mission in Oregon, and send a letter at the same time with a listing of contents, a check for shipping ($18 plus $.40 for every lb over 30 lbs) and the shipping label to the orphanage directly, which is writte in Ukrainian. I have it on a file on my computer and can email to you. I'm HAPPY to help folks do this--one other mom here had a playgroup do this!

But you're still invited to send stuff to me and I'll happily ship it!

It's soooooo wonderful to see the enthusiasm here!

Thanks,

mel
#47 of 52 Old 09-04-2003, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:

turquoise from babynmore.com donated 480 cpfs, which are going to a new orphanage on our list called Boyarka, in Kiev. They have 70 babies there and they have been ASKING for cloth and currently use the few they have. WTG! I'm sending along more than 100 covers and FBs donated for the effort, so soon those babes will be in great shape.

I also sent out three more boxes this week to Kherson, which means that since Mothering.com mamas got involved, we've collected and sent more than 300 lbs of cloth diapers, clothes, sheets, blankets, and more! In less than 2 months!

Every bit helps, so keep the donations coming. Tell your friends! We also just sent 240 cans of formula to two different orphanages through the food program. These babies don't have breastfeeding mothers, obviously, and no access to breastmilk, so we're trying desperately to get them nutritionally adequate formula. Otherwise they get cow's milk--if they're lucky. Most babies are currently getting about 10 oz. of formula a day--the rest is sugar water . And they're fed mashed potatoes (cheap food) at a very young age, to get as many calories in them as possible. Check out http://www.thebabymarketplace.com and click on "aid to orphans" to learn more about the formula effort.

Anyhow, thank you!
#48 of 52 Old 09-21-2003, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Another update:

THANK you to faerypatch.com for donating beautiful reversible patchwork flannel pants! They'll be so warm for the kids! Plus she donated some much-needed blankets.

Kellyscloset.com sent a BUNCH of blankets, mittens, hats, clothes, wipes/washcloths, and more. Thank you!

Also, lilimamabel donated a HUGE HUGE box, SafeMommy sent a 40 lb box directly to Ukraine, and someone sent a 16 lb box full of blankets and crib sheets from Goodyear, AZ, but there was no note! Who sent this great donation?

We have now met ALL the needs for two of the three baby orphanages--until the cloth dipes and covers wear out! We're working on the third orphanage, still--they have 160 kids under 4 and we've sent about 100 dipes and 50 covers so far.

THANKS!

Mel
#49 of 52 Old 09-21-2003, 11:13 AM

Also, lilimamabel donated a HUGE HUGE box, SafeMommy sent a 40 lb box directly to Ukraine, and someone sent a 16 lb box full of blankets and crib sheets from Goodyear, AZ, but there was no note! Who sent this great donation?

We have now met ALL the needs for two of the three baby orphanages--until the cloth dipes and covers wear out! We're working on the third orphanage, still--they have 160 kids under 4 and we've sent about 100 dipes and 50 covers so far.

THANKS!

Mel [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm glad to help! I'd like to send another box to the new orphanage or through you. Lmk what all they need!

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#50 of 52 Old 09-21-2003, 02:59 PM

Oooooh...I'm getting the itch to put in another order for ya...

Are there actually 2 more orphanages then, with the addition of Bayorka? And do they still need more? 480 doesn't sound like enough (but I don't know how much they already had). Give us a good idea of what sizes of dipes and covers are needed for these kiddos!!

On the line of wipes, can they use cloth wipes? Those are lightweight to ship.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#51 of 52 Old 01-10-2004, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

A HUGE THANK YOU!!!!!

Almost all of the diapers donated have arrived by now. I sent boxes to Antoshka, Boyarka, and Kherson orphanages, plus a small box to Roschitsa, which is for kids 4-8 (those were clothes and choes that were too big for the three baby orphanages).

I've sent more than 800 POUNDS of items now, since March 2003.

The projects are really taking off--you can read more about the efforts at http://www.life2orphans.com and see the pictures of the toys and cloth diapers in use.

I just wanted to update everyone who has sent items. There are still two more large boxes in the pipeline, but the vast majority of items have arrived and are in use. THANK YOU!!!
#52 of 52 Old 01-11-2004, 01:26 AM

I really admire you gurumama. Dh and I are going to adopt in a few years and I can hardly wait. A dear friend of mine adopted a little boy from an orphanage in the Lugansk (sp) region of Ukraine. At his orphanage they only have rags for dipes and no covers. I am just starting my own bus. and am sponsoring this orphanage otherwise I would send my support your way. I am really blessed by everyones response.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page