Seeking Diaper Pail recommendations - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-23-2003, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need your recommendations for a diaper pail.
We are moving the beginning of August and I will no longer have a laundry sink-which is what I have been using for soaking dipes.

What do you like?
What works for you?
Where did you get it?

I was thinking of using my machine as a pail, but I like to be able to use it at anytime, if need be.

Also, how do you wash out soiled dipes without a laundry sink? I am thinking the bathroom sink will have to do:
I hate this old house where we live now, it has two closets and not a modern convenience in it, but I am desperately going to miss my laundry sink

I don't need anything too huge, as I like to wash dipes about ever 3 days.

TIA
#2 of 10 Old 07-23-2003, 06:19 PM

I have a 54 qt pail that I got online from a WAHM. I love it cause the Safety First kind I had before was so small that I had to wash dipes everyday. I don't soak my dipes, though. I don't dunk or wash them off either. I just shake off solid poopies into the toilet and if it's squishy poop then I use toilet paper to get it off the dipe. Then it goes in the pail till washday. HTH!
#3 of 10 Old 07-23-2003, 06:44 PM

I got my diaper pail from www.jacksmagicbeanstalk.com and she has flat rate shipping. This pail has a locking lid and a place for deodisks!

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#4 of 10 Old 07-23-2003, 06:46 PM

I skipped traditional diaper pails altogether and got a 54 qt. kitchen size trash can with a pop-up lid. It works great and was a lot cheaper than a "diaper" pail.

For soiled diapers, I got a minishower that attaches to the toilet and I am SO SO SO thankful that I did. I know you can just toss a "dirty" diaper into the wash, but I just find that gross so I like to rinse the diaper off first. I got mine at minishower.com but I know Katie's Kisses and Natural E Baby sell them as well.
#5 of 10 Old 07-23-2003, 06:52 PM

I use a large plastic Sterilite trash can with a flip-top lid that I bought at Big Lots for $4.99. I keep it in the bathroom. As long as the lid is down there's no smell. (although I do dunk poops in the toilet first).
#6 of 10 Old 07-23-2003, 07:15 PM

I use an 8 gal. rubbermaid I bought at target, I use a med. size bummis tote fits perfect, throw a deo disk in the tote no smell. Spent I think $6 on the pail and $10 on the tote
#7 of 10 Old 07-23-2003, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, question #2,
I am assuming that if you use the tote, then you use a dry pail method?
This would be so much easier to do, it seems to me.

I am so afraid about getting stains
I know, I know, they are diapers...but I HATE stained dipes.

Do you have stain problems using a dry pail method, or am I being unnecessarily "anal".
#8 of 10 Old 07-23-2003, 08:29 PM

I only had a problem with stains before I realized that I needed to do a cold soak/prewash - not a hot one! Boy did I feel mental when I found out that hot sets stains!

Patti
#9 of 10 Old 07-24-2003, 12:59 PM

If you do decide to get a dry pail, you may want to check out one under the brand name "Umbra" at Bed Bath and Beyond. I'm really happy with ours. It's very stylish, so that I don't feel like there's a big trashcan in my nursery. A large Bummi's pail liner fits it perfectly, so it's a little smaller than the large kitchen step-ons, which I thought was too big. Also the step-on function is more sturdy--the cover never comes off, which I find to be a pain with my kitchen Rubbermaid step-on. It's more expensive, though--about $20.
#10 of 10 Old 07-24-2003, 02:55 PM

When Spike has a poopy diaper and he's managed to drop his payload OFF the rice paper liner, giving me a clean-up job, here's what I do:

Get the kid squared away in his fresh diaper and get him settled somewhere safe.

Get off as much of the poo as I can from the diaper using the paper liner or TP.

Grab the small white 3-gallon bucket (may be a 2-gallon -- we bought it at The Home Despot to use when washing the cars) from beside the tub, fill it about a fifth full with water, dump in the dirty dipe and add a little All Free & Clear (I keep a spare bottle beside the tub too).

Let the dipe soak for a while ("a while" depending on how long I forget about it soaking, the time between one messy poopy diaper and the next or the time between the soaking poopy diaper and wash day).

Check back on the diaper and use the old-fashioned "rub the cloth together to rub out stains" method. Wring out dipe and dump water in bucket down the toilet.

If the dipe is still somewhat stained, I'll refill the bucket with soap and water and let it soak a little longer. If the stains are gone, I take the wrung-out dipe and toss it in our dry pail (a Safety First "Odor-Less" pail for disposable diapers I converted into a cloth diaper pail with the help of a $3 waterproof bag I found in the sporting goods section of Wally World) with the peed-upon dipes to wait for wash day.

Probably not the best method in the world, but it works for me. Of course, we have a "spare" bathroom in which that cats' poo-poo box resides, so washing our human kid's poopy diapers in there seemed natural.

Good luck!

Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page