Oh the HORROR - trying to convert friends to cloth - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 07-31-2003, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I totally agree chasing a toddler is SOOO much harder then changing a diaper!

JessiKate, I was just so lucky to run into some mamas that used cloth at a hospital sponsored playgroup for new moms that taught me how to wash dipes etc. I had no idea that this site even existed! Needless to say I feel so lucky to have found this site all of this info about cloth. Maybe your friend will see the light or want to try it out too, I suppose I just want to help those like myself that are interested in cloth but just sort of lost. I am by no means an expert on cd but at least I know I can always refer them to the great mamas here!!
Caroline

Sometimes my friends will see the cute dipes and the ease of it all and say "oh with the next one maybe I will use cloth" hehe WHY NOT START NOW!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 68 Old 07-31-2003, 01:05 AM

Just Curious...

Do you think there is a difference in leaving a child for 8 hours overnight and leaving a child for 4 during the day?

No real reason or motive--- really just cruious
#63 of 68 Old 07-31-2003, 01:48 AM

Well, only that most babies pee less at night, once they start sleeping longer hours. Leaving a child in a diaper eight hours during the day, I think most children would be wetter than they would be overnight. Plus they're moving around and would eventually become conscious of the wetness and uncomfortable, would have chafing, etc.

But in essence, no, however during the day you CAN change them often without waking them up. Eliza wakes twice or so during the night still to nurse but she kind of does it in her sleep. were I to change her, I would wake her right up and have trouble getting her back to sleep, so to me, that's a worse alternative than her being in a wet nappy while she's asleep. But were she like my first son, who woke up and was up for an hour or two, well I'd change her since I wouldnt be waking her anyhow.

Its still letting your child sit in their own waste products if you want to look at it that way, but like I mentioned before, I think its only reasonable to aim to minimise that when you can, and not expect to be able to totally eliminate it. We just get that nappy off first thing in the morning and then while I run around making lunches and getting the boys ready for school, I put Eliza on the floor under her playgym with a bare bum, for half an hour or so. She loves it and can practice her rolling etc, which is harder for her to do with a nappy on.
#64 of 68 Old 07-31-2003, 02:11 AM

"I totally agree chasing a toddler is SOOO much harder then changing a diaper!"

Am I the only one with a child who is a nightmare to change? My older dd hates nappy changing and will tell me quite clearly that she doesnt want it done. If it's poopy, I insist, and she generally agrees, but if it's wet, it would be such a battle to change it, that I don't bother until it's really necessary. She's a sposie girl (wouldnt make the switch) so I guess I'm one of those terrible mamas as far as she's concerned.

Now, dd #2 is in cloth, and also hates changes, but is still small enough for me to be able to persuade her to be changed more often. So I guess I"m half good, half bad.
Makes sense, as I have one foot in the sposie camp and one in the cloth camp.

Seriously, I agree that leaving a child in poop is disgusting, although many of my friends, both cloth and sposie users, have to negotiate for a considerable time to get their children to agree to a change for a poopy diaper. They have to balance the hygeine, grossness (to them) of a poopy diaper, against coercing their child into a change that he or she is resisting. Which means removing the child from an activity they are enjoying.

It's all a question of balance, and we all try to make the best judgements - none of us are perfect!
#65 of 68 Old 07-31-2003, 10:52 AM

My 2.5yo dd fights diaper changes (and also isn't ready to PL). She could care less if she's poopy or wet, but if I know she's poopy I change her right away as she's prone to rashes. She may not like it and I hate to change her when she's having fun but it's for her own good. If I know she's wet, I change her. I don't check her as frequently as I think I should (probably every two hours or so), but she's been known to go for six hours without peeing. She is physically ready to PL, just not mentally. :
#66 of 68 Old 07-31-2003, 12:17 PM

busybusymomma - I do the same with poopy diapers, and its relatively easy as dd doesnt really like poopy ones, but I know some of my friends have to often give their child some time to come round to the idea. Eg if they are just starting a really fun activity with some friends, is it fair to drag them away, or better to leave them for ten minutes to do their gluing or painting or whatever.

I dont think it is as simple as sposie vs cloth, as many fo my friends use cloth, and as a parent you have to weigh up all sorts of factors. It's worse, imo, to coerce a child over something and have an unnecessary scene, than to let a child have a poopy diaper for a little while then change when they are more able to cooperate.
#67 of 68 Old 07-31-2003, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Britishmum
It's worse, imo, to coerce a child over something and have an unnecessary scene, than to let a child have a poopy diaper for a little while then change when they are more able to cooperate.
That probably works for most, but my dd actually gets bleeding rashes. And besides, as a child I wouldn't leave my play to go to the bathroom even if it meant peeing my pants so I'd really rather teach her to listen to her body signals (even after she's already pooped).

If it worked that way, I might let her go a couple of minutes but as it is I have to change her ASAP to avoid rash, especially when my ds is having a growth spurt this week and we're having 45 minute nursing sessions!
#68 of 68 Old 07-31-2003, 03:03 PM

We switched to cloth because it cost a fortune to keep ds in 'sposies. (Now I know that there are a gazillion other reasons to CD besides just the cost!) But ds couldn't stand to be DAMP, much less wet! He was costing us over $200/month!

DH's family enjoys talking about other family members behind their backs. After we went to visit his uncle and aunt, we heard from MIL how ridiculous they thought we were. "That baby sure has them trained! We never changed our kids' diapers until they REALLY need it."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page