Oh the HORROR - trying to convert friends to cloth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well ... I try to convert close friends and I truly love these people dearly and would do nothing to hurt them, but I just had to get this out!
I was talking to a friend who has become quite close and we finally started to talk about cloth. She was interested and had some questions but she was just not sure if she would be benefiting from cloth. I said the money, the health, the environment, the convience etc... are well worth it. Then we started to talk about the $$. She said well I only change her abt 4 times a day, when she is soaked and it only costs me about $35. a month so .... I was HORRORIFIED

WHAT and she has never gotten a rash or leaked all over!!! Ugh this is what I am up against this is the second friend who just does not want to change baby... Is there any tactful way (without ending a great friendship!) to say hey you really should be changing you dd a few more times! Oh well just had to vent thanks for listening!
Caroline
#2 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 08:34 PM

Honestly, I don't know if there is a tactful way I know what you mean though. I have also been horrified learning how long friends will let their children sit in sposies for. I don't get it: Sorry I couldn't help.
#3 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 08:38 PM

who think it's cool to leave their kids wrapped in their own excrement?

I mean honestly! One of my SIL's checked MY ds when he was a newborn (in a sposie) and said he's wet, but not wet enough... I said change him anyways, and she acted like I was rich or something. : What is wet enough exactly? Then, they are also the ones who couldn't understand the $$ we put out for cloth diapers. My favorite is "Cloth diapers are so expensive!" I guess if you leave your kids wrapped in urine for hours on end in a sposie they are, because you can't even begin to do the comparison then.

Okay, I've now vented with you...
#4 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 08:42 PM

have you tired the "potty training earlier" angle? i mean, in know it isn't true of every baby, but perhaps she's the kind of person who would think- oh, less diaper changes in the long run...?

when my son was just a few days old i met another mom who had a baby 1 day younger. I didn't bring up that we used cloth but she noticed & asked. she said, "well, we know cloth is better for the environment and the baby, but the minute we found out you had to change them more often we said no way!" how grotesquely inhuman of her.

yeah, there really are people that let their precious (maybe not to them) babies sit in urine-soaked plastic & chemicals all day. almost enough to make me want to crawl inside a cave and turn my back on the world. If i see/ hear/ experience enough of this sort of wrongness in one day it leaves me feeling like i've been beat up.

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#5 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for venting too! I did start the potty training angle on her and will OF COURSE work it some more the next time we talk. hee hee evil me but I will get her! You know my SIL said the same thing about "oh they are so much money!" and now she has a four and half year old in pull ups and no sign of potty training yet (she is of course trying but to no avail). Geez if you invest in some prefolds and nice covers maybe 100 or 150 (i got off really cheap to begin with) you would recoup in 3 or 4 months at 4 changes a day! Thanks for understanding! What the baby is not wet enough... how wet do you have to be???
At least we can all laugh at this!
Caroline
#6 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 08:57 PM

I thought about suggesting she pee her pants and let me know when she's wet enough to be changed, but I was having one of those postpartum days (and still somehow managed to show restraint, which is unusual for me).
#7 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 08:58 PM

I'm sorry mama!! That's awful! I can't imagine leaving my kids in dirty dipes!! You could maybe convert her with the pocket dipe idea. From what I have heard on here you don't *have* to change as often. I just wonder why people don't put themselves in their babies' place. Would they want to sit in a nasty dipe all day? If not, then why would they treat their baby that way??
Grrr......

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#8 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 09:07 PM

My SIL was so disgusting with her children, it made me sick. Her view was disposables were great, and you had to stick with Huggies because you only needed 3 a day!! Oh my goodness! When we were on holidays with them, my MIL picked Georgia up one day and urine squelched all down her arm. Now you have to have been wearing a disposable for a long time for that to happen, I think it had been at least 8 hours.

And when Will did a poo and my BIL was out fishing, she wouldnt change him even though he stunk and was making everyone else sick. She said he kicked too much and it was too hard so she usually waited for Jon to come home to do it. That poor kid sat in a poo for over four hours. And not a bit of a rash to show for it, whereas my kids would be red raw before I could walk with them to the change table to change.

I've never been one to just "check the nappy" either, I mean if Im going to undo it and get their pants off, I'll change it anyway, regardless of how wet it is.

I really think when people use disposables, their hygiene goes right out the window.
#9 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am completely disgusted with the way some parents treat their children. They honestly think it's ok to not change their kids and they see no problems with it. To convince them to use cloth is pointless (IMO) because they just don't want to take the time to take care of the babies to keep them that clean. My wealthy SIL, with their huge house, sailboats, trust funds, etc only allot 5 diapers per day for their toddler (I won't even ask how many the 4 month old baby gets), and won't change unless it's 'full' and she's 'gotten her money's worth'. She knows exactly how much each change costs her.

I can't think of a way to tactfully tell someone that even seemingly dumb animals try their best to not sleep in their own sh*t. No other 'animal' soils it's nest for as long as we allow our babies to. It's truely disgusting, and very sad. Regardless of cloth, disposie, or whatever, being wrapped in your own urine or excrement for a long period of time, no matter how it's 'kept from touching the skin directly' is a crime to humanity, in my book. It really sickens me how children are treated... like second class citizens (or less). No adult who can think clearly would put up with such mistreatment.. (can you tell I've been doing lots of reading about vax, circ, schooling, pick-a-controversial-subject, etc)

Wow... I sound like a really preachy A**. Guess it had to come out... apparently it's been bottled for a while!

I'm sorry about your friend, and wish you luck with your friendship.
#10 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 09:30 PM

Poor baby!
#11 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I really think when people use disposables, their hygiene goes right out the window
You need to add the word "some" in there. "Some" people let their hygiene go right out the window.

I used disposables for 8 years, before we discovered cloth, and we still use them occasionally. Hygiene, or changing frequently enough was never an issue, and amongst my friends, all of whom use disposables, it's a non-issue. None of us would knowingly let a baby sit around in a wet diaper, and none of us would let a baby who has pooped sit in that, either. None of us

I would have to assume, that the people you take issue with would have a problem, no matter what they used, be it sposie, cloth, or fig leaves from their backyard.

But it's not all sposie users, and I would have to say, I can't imagine that it's even most sposie users.

Just something to think about.

Peace.
#12 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 10:10 PM

Well, my cd's haven't come yet, and I've been using the sposies for 6 mos. - and I'd NEVER let DS sit all day in it! He's changed whenever he needs it!
#13 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 10:13 PM

I do not get this 3 or 4 dipe a day thing. How in the world is it possible to leave a dipe on your baby that long? Liam was in sposies for the first 7 weeks of his life, and I would NEVER allot four dipes a day for him! Why is it acceptable to force your baby to sit in his own poo or pee--these parents don't sit in their own waste, do they? So why is it OK for the kids??

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#14 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

I use sposies for the camping trip or a vacation and I know that not all sposie users opt for this allotment view of diapering. I suppose some people just feel that the baby doesnt feel it or they would be fussing so no need to change them. That is why my new angle is the potty training! hehehe It may work it may not oh well I tried.
#15 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jachut
When we were on holidays with them, my MIL picked Georgia up one day and urine squelched all down her arm. Now you have to have been wearing a disposable for a long time for that to happen, I think it had been at least 8 hours.
:Puke :Puke :Puke That is so gross!

I wonder if any of these women have ever worn a pad for longer than 2 or 3 hours. Ask them then if they've "gotten their money's worth" out of that pad.
#16 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 10:34 PM

That is terrible when people don't change their babies because the diaper can hold more.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#17 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 10:38 PM

"My SIL was so disgusting with her children, it made me sick. Her view was disposables were great, and you had to stick with Huggies because you only needed 3 a day!! Oh my goodness! When we were on holidays with them, my MIL picked Georgia up one day and urine squelched all down her arm. Now you have to have been wearing a disposable for a long time for that to happen, I think it had been at least 8 hours.

And when Will did a poo and my BIL was out fishing, she wouldnt change him even though he stunk and was making everyone else sick. She said he kicked too much and it was too hard so she usually waited for Jon to come home to do it. That poor kid sat in a poo for over four hours. And not a bit of a rash to show for it, whereas my kids would be red raw before I could walk with them to the change table to change."

:Puke Poor kid. I just started using cloth with DS and when I used disposables I still changed him every 1 - 1.5 hours. When the diapers get really wet, that is when the nasty gel starts getting on his bum and that makes me really MAD I can not even begin to imagine how gross it feels to sit in your own urine for 8 hours.....that is just gross!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#18 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 10:41 PM

Not all sposie users do this. I use them quite a bit, but I have never let my DD sit in a dirty one b/c I was too lazy to change it, ect. That, IMO, borders on neglect. Using only sposies costs me $60 a month, minimum, even using coupons. If my DD is only a bit wet, she still gets changed. Now I use mostly FB during the day, and sposies only at night.
#19 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 11:06 PM

Eeeew so gross to leave your child sitting in a nasty diaper for that long. Their poor bottoms.

As for converting, when people say that they are really expensive I like to tell them about their resale value. Even used prefolds can bring in some money back. Can't get any money for a used disposable.
#20 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 11:30 PM

I used to do daycare and actually got "scolded" by a parent because I changed her ds too much! She said "I'm going to go broke if you keep doing that". I was dumbfounded!
#21 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Sonia! I totally spaced this one out! I just sold some of my own fb's that did not work for us on ebay! I do not believe that I forgot that yowza! Great another angle for me to work
Caroline
#22 of 68 Old 07-28-2003, 11:39 PM

Now is a good time as any to tell my story as to my analness OR obsession over changing a diaper asap after I know baby has soiled.

When my ds#1 was a babe we had an in her home sitter that was cirtified with the state. We thought she was a great choice since the babies in her care seemed happy and her house was nice and clean. Well then soon ds started developing diaper rashes that no matter what I tried he'd never get rid of. One day she suggested Baby Gold Bond and it did work great, BUT as soon as I'd get rid of a rash low and behold another would come back. I felt like an awful mom (why do we blame ourselves whenever something happens to our babes even if it's not our fault?). Then one day I got off work early and picked ds up. As I approched the front door I could hear ds crying hard and as I rang the door bell I looked in the window. I could see ds standing in a play pen beet red and snot and saliva pouring out of his face. . I went in and got him up and his diaper was so drenched it was litterally drooping to his knees. I get him cleaned up, calmed down w/o talking loud, and had him ready to head out the door (winter time so had to put on layers) and THEN the sitters mother (my sitter was in her mid 40's to start with) came out of a back room and said , "oh I didn't hear you come in". WTF no doubt and my child could have been stolen or worse and nobody giving a rats patootie.

editing to say: That was 11 years ago and dh and I were dirt poor, on WIC and eating Raman noodles and hambuger from ALdis, using aldi brand dipes. We did instantly fire that sitter and reported her to the state. She in turn insisted we pay her the 2 week "notice" time that was in the contract but I refused due to her neglect. Every day when I picked up ds his diaper bag had maybe 1 or 2 dipes left in it when I usually put in 6-8 dipes which was plenty. Come to find out from that day, that he'd only been changed maybe 2 times on average and she was hording his dipes (for what I have no idea).

NOW, this is mostly why I'm so nuts and get so angry, sick, and sad for babies that are NEGLECTED and not changed as soon as the caregiver, whether a parent or not, is aware. There is NO reasonable excuse NOT to change a baby's diaper as soon as possible. NONE!! NO sane ADULT would want to sit around in potty, so then WHY THE *BLEEP* do they force this upon an innocent baby that is incapable of changing their dipe. I don't care what kind of diaper a person uses, whether sposie or cloth, there is no excuse for such laxness when it comes to a baby's hygene. For the record, yes I even change diapers in middle of the night even on my 15 month old when he wakes me up restless from a wet dipe. I did this while using sposies and I do this with cloth. What I find ironic is that a lot of these same said people, make sure the baby has good oral hygene, makes sure they have nice clean tidy clothes, everything perfect looking and clean...as their baby is sitting in their own waste. I guess I needed to vent too, it just has been burning me lately reading how little people change and wish to change their own childrens diapers. I know not every sposie user "neglects" their babies hygene needs, but it is much easier to do so with sposies and even some cloth dipes, which I've moved away from since it's harder for me to tell when he goes. Thanks for letting me vent my spleen. for all the neglected babies sitting in grossness

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#23 of 68 Old 07-29-2003, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Encyclogirl
You need to add the word "some" in there. "Some" people let their hygiene go right out the window.

I used disposables for 8 years, before we discovered cloth, and we still use them occasionally. Hygiene, or changing frequently enough was never an issue, and amongst my friends, all of whom use disposables, it's a non-issue. None of us would knowingly let a baby sit around in a wet diaper, and none of us would let a baby who has pooped sit in that, either. None of us

I would have to assume, that the people you take issue with would have a problem, no matter what they used, be it sposie, cloth, or fig leaves from their backyard.

But it's not all sposie users, and I would have to say, I can't imagine that it's even most sposie users.

Just something to think about.
I have to agree--none of my 'sposie using friends would EVER let their kids sit in a dipe that was soaked or soiled. NEVER!! I only switched to cloth a few months ago and still use sposies for some outings (depends how long we will be gone and whether she has already pooped for the day! ) and at night. I am TOTALLY obsessive about changing her when she is wet and she is never in a poopy diaper longer than the 2 seconds it takes one of us to scoop her up and get her to a clean diaper and some wipes!

I do agree that sposies make it easier for those who WANT to be lazy, because there is the excuse of the baby *feeling* dry. Well actually that isn't true, because after all night in either a sposie or a CD, your babe is gonna be W-E-T!! The same is true for daytime changes, but a lot of sposie users don't think of it like that.

Anyway, just wanted to second that not all sposie users are lazy and gross with no hygiene! :LOL
#24 of 68 Old 07-29-2003, 01:16 AM

I can't believe these stories! I am personally offering to email these people and tell them off, if anyone is interested. They don't know me, so who cares? I can cut and paste this thread, changing all names and such.

How disgusting!
#25 of 68 Old 07-29-2003, 01:42 AM

The "some" sposie users (and man I hope that "some" is really "few") who do this diaper allotment thing are obviously truly deluded. Sad to say, the only parents I met who had diapers on their kids that stayed on longer because they weren't wet enough were all around crappy parents (no matter what the class). Proper diapering was just one of many parenting skills they needed help with...I'd be lending them a Dr Sears book or something before trying to convert boneheads like that to cloth.

And I love that my cd's are very absorbant, but my gawd I still change them, even when there is just a little piddle spot on the front and ds's skin isn't even so much as damp, and Iknow the diaper "can hold more". To me the whole point of using very absorbant materials like hemp is b/c this way the diaper isn't drenched and baby isn't way too wet at every change (I have a firehose for a ds lol, although I think he's calmed that down a bit). I've even done this with FB's, I don't care, if he peed, he is not going to sit in any amount of it once I know about it.

I find going coverless during the day when they are romping around lets me easily see and/or feel very quickly when it is time for a new diaper.
#26 of 68 Old 07-29-2003, 01:50 AM

I do have to admit that none of my sposie friends do this thankfully! That's just horrific.
#27 of 68 Old 07-29-2003, 01:53 AM

I had a friend like this. She told me she hardly ever changed her dds. The girls would sleep in a sposie all night and then she'd let them sit in it until around noon. I was appalled and told her so. Didn't seem to bother her a bit. I did, without trying, convert her to cloth because she wanted to try to save $$. She commented to me one day how her dh hated to change cloth diapers because his hands got all full of pee. I asked why that happened and she said because every inch of the diaper was wet. I told her that she was leaving her child in the diaper too long and needed to change her every time she wet. She seemed shocked. She gave up on cloth after a short time and went back to sposies. Guess she just couldn't bring herself to change diapers when they needed it.

We are no longer friends. I find this sort of behavior sickening. I see it, though, more often than I'd like - a baby with its sposie drooping to its knees with parents standing nearby or smelling like poop when you know there is no way the parents DON'T smell it. I really, really don't get it.

Jenny
Mama to Noah (4), Joshua (2) and Sarah edd 10/18/03
#28 of 68 Old 07-29-2003, 02:58 AM

Well, yes I apologise, of course I mean some disposable users not all. But I do mean more than one or two people of my acquaintance. And I've never known anybody in my circle of friends and relatives other than myself, who actually takes the time to dump the poo out a disposable into the toilet before binning it!!
#29 of 68 Old 07-29-2003, 03:08 AM

Oh and the other thing that prompted me to make that statement is that I've had more than one or two friends change their baby's dirty nappy and dump it in my kitchen bin without a word!!!

That makes me absolutely bloody furious. So you can see my experiences with friends and relatives and disposables have not been good ones. Not to mention the disposables you see dumped in shopping centre bins, and in the car parks!!

Its just a shame the whole world is not as enlightened as the wonderful mothers on this board.
#30 of 68 Old 07-29-2003, 07:50 AM

Free 49,
I have tried to convert my sister on several occasions (with subtleness, mind you). She is planning on having 4 or 5 children (imagine the savings!) but she says it's simply too much work . . .I sent her links, but only when she talked about how dangerous pads/tampons are (to show her that dd have the same chemicals) and when she kept going on about how gross it was that I use cloth pads (why she should care, I don't know).

Anyway, I have realized "the big picture" with her. She doesn't recycle anything, so that aspect won't work. She is fine with spending money on things she cares about, so that won't work. Her DD doesn't get rashes, so that route won't work. Cuteness? Well, she admits that CDs are cute, but she doesn't think it's worth it for that alone. Does your friend care about any of these things?

I used disposables for a year, and changed at least every 2 hours. My sister changes when she can tell the diaper is wet, but with a disposable, that's simply too long-- the diaper has to be soaked before you can tell. (She does change poo ones right away).

It's just a different mentality, and I don't think I can hope to ever convert her or even get her to do more frequent changes.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page