public health hazard? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a new sign in the laundry room at our apartment complex that says washing cloth diapers is a public health hazard.

I prewash all of mine by hand before I wash them in the machines; then I run an extra cycle of hot water after i take the diaper load out.

Does anyone have info on the truth of the public health hazard idea and what I could do if I need to use public washing machines? I don't mind going to a laundry mat outside our complex, but I don't know if there is any rule or regulation in Florida that says you can't wash CD in a public machine.
#2 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 03:58 PM

I don't really know the rules, but that sounds like a load of cr@p to me. I think someone probably just got grossed out and complained enough to management that they put a sign up. I know lots of ppl wash diapers at laundromats so I wouldn't think it would be a hazard.
#3 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 04:02 PM

omg thats too funny... but throwing dirty diapers in a garbage can and leaving them in the landfill is NOT a public health hazard? (because lets face it, i've never EVER heard of someone disposing of solid waste in the toilet like they are supposed to when it comes to sposies)..

i just find the whole idea hilarious,

Artie, mom to Riley 3/22/08 and a surprise due Oct 2011!
#4 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 04:03 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
i think it is a load (no pun intended ) of crappy poo!

but... i will be taking : on the issue because i know lots of CD'er n mama that live in apts! and i want to know the outcome so i can (if needed) give them advice

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#5 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 04:09 PM

I agree. People are stupid. What do people do when their babies get poo on their clothes? THAt's right, wash them. I don't see the difference.
#6 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm really curious. What's the exact wording on the sign? Is it handwritten? Is it official?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGierald View Post
omg thats too funny... but throwing dirty diapers in a garbage can and leaving them in the landfill is NOT a public health hazard?

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#8 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That's BS!!! What about someone who pukes all over their clothes, is that a public health hazard, or even worse, has an accident in their pants. Stains and nastiness are on everything, not just diapers.

I think they're pretty much saying that their washer sucks largely, b/c if the washer does what it's made to do, that would be a non-issue.

I would definitely cause a stink

Andrea

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
#9 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire and Boys View Post
I agree. People are stupid. What do people do when their babies get poo on their clothes? THAt's right, wash them. I don't see the difference.
Exactly. That sign makes no sense to me.
#10 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 06:04 PM

Make your own sign explaining how you are s'posed to dump all poop from disposables in a toilet - and how people aren't doing this.

Here is a health canada article:

http://www.ec.gc.ca/EnviroZine/engli...uestions_e.cfm

You know - just to edicate them... and then do what you want until they tell you you can't - then call the paper.

Mother to a wonderful 4 year old boy born March 2007 who was once fuzmalesling.gifbfolderchild.gifdiaper.gif and still familybed1.gif

Starting once more from the beginning and  expecting bigeyes.gif a surprise someone pos.gif in September

#11 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 07:11 PM

I would go to management and ask them to explain their "theory" of the health hazard. Then when their done giving you some un-researched bullsh*t reason, you can tell them that you'll be more than happy to stop washing your CD if he also puts up a note stating that anyone with - blood, puke, pee sheets or clothes can't use the washers either- because by his definition they are also a health hazard!

Wife to my LOVE Dave, Mama to Milo 8/16/07 and soon to be Mama to Sully EDD May 25th 2010
#12 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassadi View Post
There is a new sign in the laundry room at our apartment complex that says washing cloth diapers is a public health hazard.

I prewash all of mine by hand before I wash them in the machines; then I run an extra cycle of hot water after i take the diaper load out.

Does anyone have info on the truth of the public health hazard idea and what I could do if I need to use public washing machines? I don't mind going to a laundry mat outside our complex, but I don't know if there is any rule or regulation in Florida that says you can't wash CD in a public machine.
What if I lived in your apt building and I had a really bad cold and threw up all over my sheets? where am I supposed to wash those? What if I was at the park and slipped on the grass and fell in a pile of dog doo-doo? What if I am gross and launder my towels INFREQUENTLY....so that 3x a year, I am washing SUPER gross nasty bath towels? What if I use a dishrag in my sink and it gets really funky every week and I wash that in the washers? What about my personal lice infestation? I have to wash my bedding and clothes!

There are plenty of things that are, in my mind, way grosser than rinsed cds. Furthermore, hot dryers kill a LOT of bugs.

The CDC offers this advice:
http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/disease/mrsa.asp
for dealing with your nasty Staph. bacteria infestations....
Quote:
Wash soiled sheets, towels, and clothes with water and laundry detergent. Dry clothes in a hot dryer, rather than air-drying. This also helps kill bacteria in clothes.
Also, this advice for infectious disease control in disaster settings (I highlighted my favorite parts in red for ya):
http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/commshelters.asp

Quote:
-Garments heavily soiled with stool should be handled carefully, wearing gloves, and placed in a plastic bag for disposal. If stool can easily be removed using toilet paper, the garment may be laundered as described below.
-Wash clothing in a washing machine using normal temperature settings and laundry detergent.
-Household bleach can be used in the rinse water at normal concentrations
-Dry clothes in a dryer, if possible.
-There is no need to disinfect the tubs of washers or tumblers of dryers if cycles are run until they are completed.
HTH!
#13 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyshoes View Post
What if I lived in your apt building and I had a really bad cold and threw up all over my sheets? where am I supposed to wash those? What if I was at the park and slipped on the grass and fell in a pile of dog doo-doo? What if I am gross and launder my towels INFREQUENTLY....so that 3x a year, I am washing SUPER gross nasty bath towels? What if I use a dishrag in my sink and it gets really funky every week and I wash that in the washers? What about my personal lice infestation? I have to wash my bedding and clothes!

There are plenty of things that are, in my mind, way grosser than rinsed cds. Furthermore, hot dryers kill a LOT of bugs.

The CDC offers this advice:
http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/disease/mrsa.asp
for dealing with your nasty Staph. bacteria infestations....

Also, this advice for infectious disease control in disaster settings (I highlighted my favorite parts in red for ya):
http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/commshelters.asp

HTH!

Excellent! Thanks for the links ... should come in handy when I approach the office management about this.

Like PP, I wondered why diapers are more of a threat to public health than other pieces of fabric with poo and other bodily fluids on them.

Thanks, mamas!
#14 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 10:57 PM

When I saw the title of this thread I was sure it was about disposable diapers because I had heard something somewhere about contents of diapers in dumps having leaked into water supplies . . . don't know if that's true, but that's what I thought this thread was about!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#15 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 11:05 PM

Please let us know how this goes. I would be sooo pissed!!!
#16 of 31 Old 10-26-2007, 11:53 PM

You could also point out that an ordinary pair of underwear headed for the washer has about a gram of feces in it (ew ew). Should they ban the washing of undies too? I'd consider adult poop to be much more of a potential health hazard.
#17 of 31 Old 10-27-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyshoes View Post
What about my personal lice infestation?
sorry, that just made my year.
#18 of 31 Old 10-27-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Excellent! Thanks for the links ... should come in handy when I approach the office management about this.

Like PP, I wondered why diapers are more of a threat to public health than other pieces of fabric with poo and other bodily fluids on them.

Thanks, mamas!
I would also contact your local board of health and request information about this. Mention the links from the government sources and find out what their opinion on the matter is. If they're helpful, bring their answer to building management too!

Let us know how it turns out :
#19 of 31 Old 10-27-2007, 02:56 PM

oh please! What a load of BS.

i think someone just didnt like the thought of CDs and whined to the manager.

I'd wash them anyway.

if you cant wash your dipes, then no one else can wash their underwear.

wife to my awesome DH, homeschooling, unassisted birthing, food growing, life loving mama to 5 crazy monkeys. :
#20 of 31 Old 10-27-2007, 05:30 PM

I would ignor the sign and claim I can't read
There are certainly greater public health risks in a shared laundry facility than baby poo and urine from rinsed diapers.
Shoot most sposies leak so badly that the clothes are always pooed on.
#21 of 31 Old 10-27-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmer24 View Post
I would go to management and ask them to explain their "theory" of the health hazard. Then when their done giving you some un-researched bullsh*t reason, you can tell them that you'll be more than happy to stop washing your CD if he also puts up a note stating that anyone with - blood, puke, pee sheets or clothes can't use the washers either- because by his definition they are also a health hazard!
:

Jessica ~ SAHM to Julianne (5-19-07) & Jocelyn (8-10-08) #3 12-25-10
Wife to my best friend and love of my life
#22 of 31 Old 10-27-2007, 05:50 PM

You know what, I'd probably just ignore the sign and skip going to management. Or, just take the sign down and pitch it in the trash. What are they going to do? This is ridiculous.
#23 of 31 Old 10-27-2007, 08:07 PM

gassadi, please keep us updated! I live in an apartment building too.

caffix.gif

#24 of 31 Old 10-27-2007, 08:10 PM

I have personally dealt with a very similar situation where we used to live, only it got very personal

Anyway,just know your rights as a renter.And I agree with what others have posted already. Personally, I don't see how washing diapers is any different than a mom of toddler washing poo off of underwear, a grown up man streaking his undwear, or people with STD's washing their undies in the public machines!

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#25 of 31 Old 10-27-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee3 View Post
You know what, I'd probably just ignore the sign and skip going to management. Or, just take the sign down and pitch it in the trash. What are they going to do? This is ridiculous.
:

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#26 of 31 Old 10-28-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to keep washing as is ...

The signs were gone when I went in this morning, so maybe someone already approached mgmt. with all the things you've all mentioned. Or someone gutsier than me took 'em down. (There are two laundry facilities here and I haven't checked the other to see if those signs are gone.) The signs were handlettered, so I think I'll keep washing and assume that if the complex manager wants to take an official stance, then it'll be done in a more professional manner.

Just an ick factor that I'm taking to management ... our neighbor has lately been putting dirty (as in the solids) disposables on her back porch. They are not wrapped and they have stayed for days, with new ones getting added to the pile. My husband already spoke to her about it and she just shrugged him off. Hmm seems more likely to be a public health hazard than washing a few pre-washed diapers in the machines.

Oh, how I dream of home ownership ...
#27 of 31 Old 10-28-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
our neighbor has lately been putting dirty (as in the solids) disposables on her back porch. They are not wrapped and they have stayed for days, with new ones getting added to the pile. My husband already spoke to her about it and she just shrugged him off. Hmm seems more likely to be a public health hazard than washing a few pre-washed diapers in the machines.
No kidding, and EWWW!!! :

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#28 of 31 Old 10-28-2007, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
No kidding, and EWWW!!! :
yea that. We have someone whos I guess doing some diaper changes in the back of her van then tossing the dirty sposies onto the parking lot. :

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#29 of 31 Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermom View Post
yea that. We have someone whos I guess doing some diaper changes in the back of her van then tossing the dirty sposies onto the parking lot. :
:

what are they thinking? oh, yeah, they're not.
#30 of 31 Old 10-29-2007, 04:33 AM

Ummmmm wow. Do keep us updated. This is very silly indeed.

So I guess nobody in that apartment gets stomach flus, menstruates or has toddlers and other younger children? Or pets? Or gets cut? Or cooks with raw meat? Or wipes their genitals dry with towels? Or gets pubic or head hair in clothes? Or or or or or

Sounds like somebody has an ignorant prejudice against CD!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page