I'm FED UP with the stink!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 10-31-2007, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like I have tried everything. I have stripped (or at least thought I did). I have used bleach, borax, vinegar, you name it. I have soaked. I have used more soap I Have used less soap. I have switched soaps. THEY STILL STINK!!!! They smell like nothing when coming out of the dryer but when he pees in them, they stink all over again. These are prefolds we are talking about.

Does there come a time when the diapers are no longer usable? Should I pitch them and just buy some new ones? I am at my wits end.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#2 of 30 Old 10-31-2007, 02:13 PM

No idea, but I desperately need the answers to your question... I'm right there with you, except my problem seems to be with the inserts to my pocket dipes... everything else smells fine, but those are GROSS!!!

I've done everything you've mentioned, plus Calgon and Bac-out... and to my preggers nose, they smell ever-so-slightly icky out of the dryer and FOUL after a teeny-tiny pee. UGH.

Some wise mama, please HELP!!
#3 of 30 Old 10-31-2007, 02:28 PM

Dishwasher stripping, you have not stripped them till you have dishwasher stripped them. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ght=dishwasher
#4 of 30 Old 10-31-2007, 04:20 PM

What is it that they smell like ?

Are you smelling an amonia odour ? Or something more foul ?

Is it possible that your child has a UTI or yeast - that would make the stink.

If it's actually the diapers, it's most likely a bacteria build-up. It's prefolds, so a good hefty dose of bleach wouldn't hurt, with an extra rinse or two, and then dry outside if you can.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#5 of 30 Old 10-31-2007, 06:37 PM

Oh mama....I know it's super frustrating. We had major battle of the funk because our water is so bad. Have you boiled them yet? That is the only thing that really worked at first, for us. Now, I strip them in the machine every 2nd or 3rd wash. Another idea....you might want to turn up the temp on your water heater (or add boiling water to your wash). I think they recommend like 140 degrees for optimal dipe cleaning.

Oh, another idea....what water level are you washing on.....sometimes it helps to wash on high level so there is lots of room for the dipes to swoosh around in. HTH

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#6 of 30 Old 11-01-2007, 03:56 AM

could it be your washing machine? i was having stink issues and finally realized it was the machine going out when other things started to not seem clean either... its a thought anyway
#7 of 30 Old 11-01-2007, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDaddy View Post
Dishwasher stripping, you have not stripped them till you have dishwasher stripped them. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ght=dishwasher
Don't have a dishwasher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaBear View Post
What is it that they smell like ?

Are you smelling an amonia odour ? Or something more foul ?
REALLY bad ammonia-I guess. I'll have to take a closer whiff next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaBear View Post
It's prefolds, so a good hefty dose of bleach wouldn't hurt, with an extra rinse or two, and then dry outside if you can.
Done this-although didn't dry outside, dried inside next to heater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrin View Post
Oh mama....I know it's super frustrating. We had major battle of the funk because our water is so bad. Have you boiled them yet? That is the only thing that really worked at first, for us. Now, I strip them in the machine every 2nd or 3rd wash. Another idea....you might want to turn up the temp on your water heater (or add boiling water to your wash). I think they recommend like 140 degrees for optimal dipe cleaning.

Oh, another idea....what water level are you washing on.....sometimes it helps to wash on high level so there is lots of room for the dipes to swoosh around in. HTH
Hot water heater is all the way up. Haven't boiled them, I don't have a pot big enough. Now for stripping, how many times do you wash? I guess I just feel super guilty using such an abundance of water.

I know I leave my diapers for sometimes a little too long, so that may be part of the problem. I'm trying to wash every couple of days now. I just tend to forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheliala View Post
could it be your washing machine? i was having stink issues and finally realized it was the machine going out when other things started to not seem clean either... its a thought anyway
Everything else seems to be ok, but that would be a great excuse to buy a new machine!!

I guess I was just wondering if at some point I should give up - if anyone has ever given up?

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#8 of 30 Old 11-01-2007, 10:07 AM

I've come really close to giving up a couple of times, but I am so stubborn, I refuse to let it beat me!

Before I boil, I usually do a hot rinse, then normal wash and another hot rinse, then boil.....then rinse once or twice on warm. I know it's a ton of water and electricity, but now I only have to boil like once every 4 months or so. I try to really keep up by stripping in the machine every several loads (or when I start to notice the slightest amount of stink).

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#9 of 30 Old 11-01-2007, 10:42 AM

WOW, this is disturbing...
I was going to say HOT HOT HOT water or boil.
What temp is your water w the water heater all the way up?
FL or TL machine?
Hard or soft water?

I had some PUL bags that stunk and I put them out side in the cold to dry and the stink came out. There is just something about the sun even on a cold day and I have no idea what that is.

I have had dipes that Vinegar did not knock out the urine smell. I used more vinegar, still smelled. I ended up using baking soda soak and changing the water out a few times.

My new FL is a nightmare on diapers, they stink everytime unless I rinse first, wash add water and then wash again regular. Major PITA.

Have you every seen Washing Soda? It is stronger than baking soda and is not necessarily recommended for all the time use, in addition to being equally toxic as Borax if a child were to get a hold of it. But I might try that...

I find it strange that they don't smell coming out of the dryer hot. If my dipes stink, it is in that instant and it is always a poo smell.

Are you washing these with any covers? I find certain covers hold stink and then it gets on my other diapers.

I would not do bleach again. I used to bleach my CPF 1X per year in the winter. I figured out it was wearing them out faster. I had 1 set last only 3 months after I bleached them for the first time (unbleached CPF), they started to fray, I will never bleach again...

My washer went all my clothes started to stink. I spent 3 days washing my dd's clothes, I finally started to wash just a handful of items at a time and then I got her load done. It was nightmarish.

Maybe try 4 to 6 diapers at a time, a lower water level if it's a TL, if you see suds you know that is the cause. Also listen to the drain hose in the final spin (any type machine) you can hear suds, even if you don't see them.

I was amazed at the sud problem I didn't think I had. I was washing our clothes over and over and over again in a new machine and getting suds everytime. I finally just had to give up and say okay, it will all eventually come out of our clothes as I use this new machine more. That machine is gone, it was the machine... It was one of those He TL...

Don't give up... CPF are savable.
#10 of 30 Old 11-01-2007, 02:34 PM

I suggested drying outside specifically, because the sun's UV rays are sterilizing.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#11 of 30 Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 PM

You could also try just doing a cold rinse every night. This would help keep the amonia from building up in the pail and then you could get by without washing every other day.
#12 of 30 Old 11-01-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody'smomma View Post
Now for stripping, how many times do you wash? I guess I just feel super guilty using such an abundance of water.
The earth knows how to recycle water (nearly instantly in the grand scheme of things), it does not know how recycle a disposable diaper... just saying.
#13 of 30 Old 11-03-2007, 05:17 AM

Hey Sara! If you decide that you need new diapers, we could totally give you some. We have tons of prefolds that we're not using. We still have some covers too (if you need 'em) that I think would fit Cody.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#14 of 30 Old 11-03-2007, 01:40 PM

Do you have a front or top loading machine?
#15 of 30 Old 11-03-2007, 07:25 PM

How much bleach did you use? I'd try as much as 1/4 cup for suuuuper stinky diapers. Or oxiclean.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#16 of 30 Old 11-05-2007, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra375 View Post
WOW, this is disturbing...
I was going to say HOT HOT HOT water or boil.
What temp is your water w the water heater all the way up?
FL or TL machine?
Hard or soft water?

I had some PUL bags that stunk and I put them out side in the cold to dry and the stink came out. There is just something about the sun even on a cold day and I have no idea what that is.

Have you every seen Washing Soda? It is stronger than baking soda and is not necessarily recommended for all the time use, in addition to being equally toxic as Borax if a child were to get a hold of it. But I might try that...

Are you washing these with any covers? I find certain covers hold stink and then it gets on my other diapers.
The heater is all the way up, it is a TL and I don't know about the water. It is city water. I should try drying outside I guess, it rains a lot here though I used washing soda sometimes and also borax. I usually try a bunch of stuff to see what might work. I don't wash with covers, I wash those separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollyred View Post
You could also try just doing a cold rinse every night. This would help keep the amonia from building up in the pail and then you could get by without washing every other day.
This sounds like a good idea, I might try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker View Post
Hey Sara! If you decide that you need new diapers, we could totally give you some. We have tons of prefolds that we're not using. We still have some covers too (if you need 'em) that I think would fit Cody.
Thanks K! I'm going to try to work this out. But I will let you know if I just can't take it anymore. I wouldn't want to ruin more diapers too! The other problem is that I end up washing a few because I'm trying to wash more frequently and then I have different diapers from different loads. Then when one is stinky, I don't remember which load that was from and what I may have done on that load.

Anyway, I think I may just keep winging it until DS is out of diapers. I will wash more often and strip every now and then. And hopefully that will work. Thanks for all the advice!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#17 of 30 Old 11-05-2007, 03:47 PM

Just wanted to say that we are having stink issues with our BG's and I am ready to give up. I hope your stink issues go away!!! If they do, PM me and let me know what you finally did to get them stink free!
#18 of 30 Old 11-06-2007, 11:00 AM

I am having stink issues too!! I can't seem to get rid of. all my fitteds and prefolds smell like amonia when ds pees in them! I have tried everything I can think of! I feel for you! Good luck!!!! I am off to wash ds cds again!

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#19 of 30 Old 11-06-2007, 11:49 AM

Have you tried washing with a bit of extra detergent? I washed some of mine with more detergent, rinsed 3 times to get it out. Then I laid them in the sun all day. I'm not sure if it was the combination or maybe just the sun, but the stink is gone.
#20 of 30 Old 11-06-2007, 12:34 PM

I just skimmed it, but have you tried bacout? It is a deoderizing enzyme cleaner. It doesn't look like anyone mentioned it. I use it in every wash, takes the stink away.
#21 of 30 Old 11-06-2007, 02:32 PM

right there with you mama - for months now. I've stripped them, both in the washer and the dishwasher, I've dried them outside, bleach, vinegar, blah blah blah and STILL the ammonia smell persists, and her inserts come out of the dryer smelling just nasty. I'm frustrated as heck! I will not give up though, she's my last one and will be potty training soon - which means that I will figure it out and get rid of the stink, right about the time she gives up her diapers, that's my luck.
#22 of 30 Old 11-06-2007, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post
I just skimmed it, but have you tried bacout? It is a deoderizing enzyme cleaner. It doesn't look like anyone mentioned it. I use it in every wash, takes the stink away.
How much do you use? I have some, but I thought it was only for spot treatment.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#23 of 30 Old 11-07-2007, 12:39 AM

I use bacout on stinky stuff and presoak before washing. I squirt about a TB in a med/large load and let it soak on warm (keeps enzymes alive) for 15 mins or so before washing.

I have always thought that stink was caused by detergent residue
#24 of 30 Old 11-07-2007, 01:54 AM

How much bacout do you use?
#25 of 30 Old 02-29-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to update this very old thread to let you all know what happened! I started soaking my dipes overnight (or for several hours) in warm water with a squirt of bacout. AND IT WORKS!!!! I haven't had stink issues since. Thank you MissMommyNiceNice and delphiniumpansy for the wonderful advice.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#26 of 30 Old 02-29-2008, 12:58 PM

Yay! Bac Out helps, and so does soaking in vinegar for me.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#27 of 30 Old 02-29-2008, 02:15 PM

What kind of detergent are you using? If it's a mainstream brand, even a "free & clear" one it more than likely has brightening dyes that coat the fibers and create a buildup. Bacteria LOVE that buildup and that's what is causing the stink. Strip the diapers using one teaspoon of Dawn blue liquid dish detergent. Nothing else. Wash on hot twice (once with Dawn, once with nothing), and rinse repeatedly until no bubbles.

Then switch to a 100% water soluble detergent like Charlie's Soap or Allens Naturally.

Also, try reducing the number of dipes you're washing per load. Make sure you're adding the detergent to the water then adding the diapers, so the det has a chance to fully dissolve.

Adding vinegar will help but it will NOT remove the buildup if you're using a detergent that's not 100% water soluble. The Dawn will work to remove the buildup but if the detergent is the culprit, the stink will return.

Bac Out can help but again, nothing will work permanently if it's your detergent causing the buildup.

Bleach will not remove the buildup thoroughly. Dawn will. The sun can help but again, all these things are temporary fixes until you switch detergents.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#28 of 30 Old 02-29-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post
Just wanted to say that we are having stink issues with our BG's and I am ready to give up. I hope your stink issues go away!!! If they do, PM me and let me know what you finally did to get them stink free!
I agree with PP

I was having stink and repelling issues with my bG and I had done all of those suggestions, even the dishwasher. Nothing helped. Finally I talked to cotton babies and they said to wash them in super-hot water with 1 T of original Dawn (has to be Dawn) and rinse until you don't see suds. Then if they were dirty to begin with she said to wash them again in detergent because Dawn didn't clean them. It worked great for me. It might work on prefolds also. I have also done it on my musty sheets and mildewed towels to revive them.
#29 of 30 Old 02-29-2008, 05:13 PM

Does anyone use bac-out with AIOs/FB or bumgenius? I had read that you shouldn't use it with these but they are the diapers we have decided to go with and it seems this product works really well. So just looking for experiences.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#30 of 30 Old 02-29-2008, 06:29 PM

I use a squirt of bacout with our FBs from time to time. Why are you not supposed to use it?

----

Lola'smommy, what detergent are you using? If it's 100% water soluble, then I'd try two things:

1. Wash fewer dipes per load and see if that helps
2. Get some Simple Green (auto dept, Target) and wash an empty hot load with a tablespoon of SG (or put an old towel in with it -- I just do an empty load). This will clean your washing machine and remove any residue from old detergents or fabric softeners.

If you're not using a 100% water soluble detergent, no matter what solution you try, the stink issues will return.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page