what IS the diff between chinese and indian prefolds??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to decide what to get for my baby boy due next March to use in the newborn stage..thanks!

Anna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbanana View Post
I am trying to decide what to get for my baby boy due next March to use in the newborn stage..thanks!

Anna
Yeah, and how about the hemp prefolds? If they're most absorbant, why not use them every day? Just cost? Or do they take forever to wash/dry??
#3 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 12:23 AM

This is from another post:
Quote:
Indian prefolds benefits:
Softer cotton
Unbleached diapers wash up quicker (3 washes)

Indian prefolds drawbacks:
May wear out faster than the Chinese prefolds.
Lighter weight thread is used when sewing the ends of the diapers so the thread may wear out faster than the fabric does.

Chinese prefolds benefits:
Heavier duty stitching
These are probably made of twill
Due to being made of a heavier-weight fabric and stitched with a thicker thread, these prefolds will probably stay nice longer than the Indian prefolds.

Chinese prefolds drawbacks:
May pill up more than the Indian prefolds.
These diapers are still soft but they are definitely rougher than the Indian prefolds (when washed and dried in the same load)
It takes 7-10 hot wash cycles to make an unbleached Chinese prefold usable and absorbent.
That being said I have had both and think IPF feel nicer. However having a DS that is in an ackward size I am recently in love with Green Mountain Diapers CPF brown edge.
#4 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 08:55 AM

We have both Indian and Chinese, bleached and unbleached of each. My favorite by far are the unbleached Indian prefolds. They are much softer and don't pill like my chinese pfs do.
#5 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 10:07 AM

I've never used Indian prefolds, but I have used both Chinese prefolds and hemp prefolds. I prefer Chinese prefolds because they're MUCH softer, they're easier to Snappi, and I haven't honestly noticed an absorbency difference, although there may be one. Not to mention cheaper! I do like my hemp prefolds from Blue Penguin that have snaps on them, but they're still not worth the extra money compared to plain old cpfs.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

#6 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 10:10 AM

I love indian prefolds!! They are by far my favorite. They are super soft and dry pretty quickly. I plan on getting those for my newborn.

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

#7 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
That being said I have had both and think IPF feel nicer. However having a DS that is in an ackward size I am recently in love with Green Mountain Diapers CPF brown edge.
Okay, so with the green mountain dipes, for a regular sized newborn, I should just get Infant size? Why not newborn size? Maybe six of both or something? And I don't want Unbleached, right?

And is it okay they're from China? We've stopped buying htings from China, can we trust these?
#8 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 01:45 PM

I would get some of the newborns if you are expecting a 7ish pound baby. Unbleached is fine. For the CPF they usually use peroxide to whiten them.
#9 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 02:40 PM

I have to get new diapers for the new baby due in March. Is there a difference in absorbancy Indian vs. Chinese?
#10 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theirmomjayne View Post
I have to get new diapers for the new baby due in March. Is there a difference in absorbancy Indian vs. Chinese?
I think my indian regulars absorb much more than my chinese regulars and about the same as my chinese premiums. But, I bought them from different places, so I don't know how comparable they are. Also, there is info on the Cottonbabies website (scroll down a bit) that claims that the indian prefolds are more absorbant than the chinese prefolds.

As I mentioned in another post, I like both (indian regulars and chinese premiums)! Can't decide which one I like best :

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#11 of 11 Old 11-06-2007, 05:06 PM

My Baby Textiles unbleached Indian premiums absorb just a bit better than my Green Mountain Diapers Chinese premiums. I prefer the Indian PFs because they are softer and more flexible. But Chinese premiums are generally better constructed and a great workhorse diaper that will last a long time.

Momma to two sweet girls

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page