A few newborn questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-11-2007, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just received our BFP yesterday, and here I am today charting out my CD plan! I might have an addiction!

I started cding DS around 3 months, so I need some newborn guidance. Couple of questions.

1. We are on a tight budget so I know I will be looking at mostly prefolds and covers. But I am majorly concerned with my ability to fold the prefold well enough to hold all bf poop leaks. Plus, for whatever reason, I am unable to use a snappi well...sigh. So I need roll/fold suggestions. Any thoughts?

2. How many covers should I have on hand? And what types do you recommend for small babies?

3. If I can talk DH into a very small splurge, what is the number one type you would recommend for newborn baby? Not just cute, but has good function...consider this the diaper I would take baby out in and show off the ease of cding...advertising and promotion if you will!

I like to start my research early...can you tell!

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-12-2007, 10:11 AM

My baby is now 14 weeks and 14 lbs, but we cloth diapered from day one.

For the very smallest diapers, you cannot go wrong with kissaluvs size 0 and BumGemius Bamboo fitteds in the newborn size. These are both TINY and truly do fit a newborn baby.

Prefolds in the preemie size are also great for the first few weeks (just google "prefold preemie").

The best covers for tiny little newborns are the Prowraps classics (this is important - the classic has the smaller sizes) and the Bummi whisper wraps. These both come in truly tiny newborn sizes that actually fit a newborn. I would say you need 4 covers.

For an all-in-one that truly fits a newborn, I like the BumGenius 2.0 deluxe in extra small.

Hope this is helpful :-)
#3 of 7 Old 11-12-2007, 05:20 PM

I like the Motherease Sandy's x-smalls. They're not exorbitantly priced, which is good since newborns grow out of stuff so fast. But they work, and they hold in the mess better than a prefold.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#4 of 7 Old 11-12-2007, 05:37 PM

We also did CD from day 1, and used infant prefolds. We had 30 infant prefolds and 7 covers. What are the problems you have with the snappi? Maybe we could help you? We did several different folds while DS was in prefolds. The angelwing/newspaper (Someone once posted a REALLY good video of this fold, maybe they will again?) was where we started. This works really well, is easy to do, and contains poop well, as long as you make sure the babies legs are down. We also tried the jellyroll, which I found too hard to do.

There is an adaptation of the angelwing called "navel defense" if you are concerned about the cord.

I used BSWW in size small, and had a couple of random newborn sized covers. He outgrew the newborn covers literally within a week. (Born 9lbs5oz)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#5 of 7 Old 11-13-2007, 01:03 AM

I cd'd ds2 from birth and I definately learned a few things. I had planned on a cheapy stash of fitteds and covers/wool to get me through a few months till he settled into md's (we knew he would be a big baby and go to mds fast). Well I realized quickly that nbs hate to be changed (I already knew that, just didn't realize how that would affect using fitteds and covers) and so diapering was awful with him. I couldn't get them on his fast enough, he jsut screamed. Plus he was so big most of his nb stuff didn't fit when we brought him home from the hospital. He didn't get to cd full time till I could get a full stash of sm FB's when he was 3 wks old (he did some fitteds and aio's around the house but had to wear sposies at night and for outings). BUt pockets aren't cheap and I didn't find AIO's to work well on a nb. So I have a plan for next time around. For the next baby I plan to have a bunch of nb and small pul wrap covers, the kinds wiht the really good elastic around the legs that holds in the poo and pee well. Then I plan to lay in soakers (I have a ton of hemp soakers from pocket stuffing) and trifolded prefolds. I will do this for the first few months, then when baby is bigger he/she can move into ds2's stash of OS fitteds and wool (I will have to make more wool pants in md size cause i didn't have many for ds2 in that size since he was in pockets then). Anyway that is my plan. You could just do the trifolding into cheap wrap covers (dappi, prowrap, used bummis ect) until the baby is bigger and work on your folding technique. I find the jelly roll works best for holding in poo, and it isn't that hard. IF I can do it anyone can.
#6 of 7 Old 11-13-2007, 01:56 AM

Researching nb cds was the fist thing I did too, right after deciding on a prenatal.

I liked bummis and proraps covers. I had a few of each in both nb and small sizes, but the nb proraps didn't last at all for my big baby. Bummis were bigger.

I loved kissaluvs fitteds. I had almost a dozen of those and a dozen nb prefolds (that we never used) and a dozen infant prefolds. I mostly used fitted and did laundry a lot. I'm not great with pfs, but it worked. The kissaluvs were pretty fast for the above-mentioned screaming newborn changes. (I thought it was just my babies who wailed for all changes.)

That's all I tried, but I was happy with it.
#7 of 7 Old 11-14-2007, 12:07 PM

Hello. I am new to this to and haven been clothdiapering my 4-week old for about three weeks. My favourite covers are the Thirsties covers. I use the x-small and small for now and small prefolds. The nb prowraps are little small for us and I have not used the Bummis Super Wisper Wrap much, because I am suspicious that it might leak with no extra gussets.

Anyway, I just fold my small prefold in three and put it in the cover. I know, very lazy, but it works. For now ...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page