vinegar for yeast - how much? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-12-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
acp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, DD has a red, raised rash just above her vagina that doesn't seem to be going away, even with the standard diaper rash creams (which have always cleared up any redness before right away). It's not terrible, but it's getting a bit worse, and I think it might be yeast.
I've heard that putting vinegar in the rinse cycle when I wash my coth dipes can get rid of the yeast in the diapers. Is this true? If so, how much do you add? Any other suggestions? (I live in the city in Chicago and it's both cold outside and we don't have outdoor space, so sun drying isn't an option).

Also, any suggestions for helping clear it up on DD? I'd like to avoid using a medicated yeast treatment if I can, but I suppose I can always go that route if needed....
#2 of 7 Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 AM

GSE works better for diapers than vinegar. It killed off ds2's yeast rash in no time. I put it in the rinse cycle and added an extra rinse cycle. I just squeezed it in, not sure how much went in. You can give it to baby too but it tastes really nasty so you need to hide it in something (ebm in a bottle maybe). I also took it to make sure I wasn't passing it to him some how. Anyway we haven't had yeasty problems in a long time since using the GSE. Ever so often I use it again for a few loads, just to make sure it stays gone.
#3 of 7 Old 12-28-2007, 03:47 AM

What's GSE? I'm having yeast issues, also, but with BGs, I'm not supposed to use vinegar.
#4 of 7 Old 12-28-2007, 01:17 PM

GSE=grapefruit seed extract.
We found GSE in the health food store. It did seem to help get rid of our rash, along with a dose of gentian violet on the bum.
#5 of 7 Old 12-28-2007, 02:40 PM

Vinegar won't kill the yeast completely on dipes, but high heat should. Wash them on hot and dry on high heat -- it won't hurt even PUL to occasionally dry on high. Matter of fact it will reseal any pinholes.

I second the suggestion on GSE. Here's some info on using it topically:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp

Don't use barrier creams on a yeast diaper rash. And be sure to wash and dry everything (not just dipes) on high heat.

It won't hurt to add vinegar to the wash cycle (make sure it's white vinegar though), and you might also put some in a warm bath (no soap) and let your LO sit in the vinegary water for a bit. We usually add about 1/2-2/3rds cup white vinegar to the bath water if our LO is having issues.

But the GSE (be sure to dilute it with distilled water!) applied topically, combined with using hot water/high heat on the dipes and towels, etc., should help.

You can also give your LO some probiotics (encapsulated, refrigerated, at your local HFS) to help battle the yeast.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#6 of 7 Old 12-28-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
I second the suggestion on GSE. Here's some info on using it topically:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp.
Wow this is a great resource. Wish I'd had it while we were battling DD's yeast rash! It's completely gone now, but she's got some scars where the open bleeding sores healed over.
#7 of 7 Old 12-28-2007, 07:52 PM

yeah, GSE rocks and so does Jay Gordon's website! use it on the dipes, and definitely use it topically too (diluted of course). each of my kids had one yeast rash each and GSE knocked it out in less than 48 hours.

it also couldn't hurt to give the baby acidophilus or other probiotic orally in case baby has it systemically and not just in the diaper area. you can crack open the adult capsules and give baby about 1/3 of the powder from the capsule - you can put it in food, or a bottle if they take a bottle, or you can just dilute it in a small amount of water and give it to them with a medicine syringe.

if you breastfeed, you should probably take the probiotics too - the last thing you want is thrush in either one of you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page