I like em' cute ol' diapes!!!! 67 100.00%
other(please explain) 34 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Overlooking some of the resons through these threads and actually tying them up WHY DO YOU CD?? For us its baisically and allergy issue and a cost issue...
Arian is horrible allergic to the gel balls in diapers...And for the life of me i cant afford those TUSHIES or anything like it...and wouldnt want to throw away thousands of dollars in something that is DISPOSABLE!!!

Why do you CD??

:My 7 year old boy Ari, my fun loving husband and my life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 12:47 AM

Hey - Linda - I keep meaning to ask you - how did you pick your son's name? Just curious!

I picked "cute" and "environmental"

In the beginning it was totally the expense - I didn't know why I *needed* to cd, just that we were broke and it would be much cheaper (DH had just lost his job).

That was back in the proraps and Sandy's and infant cpf days.

Now we can afford more, and I really love it - and I've gone full-circle from dirt cheap/free basics to hyena diapes to cpfs and wool covers. I use wool and cpfs because of environmental reasons (and health) and I use appliqued and embroidered wool in fun colors because they're cute!
#3 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 12:53 AM

I am a big environmentalist, so for me I always knew I would cloth diaper for environmental reasons. Saving $ was up there too, but that's not the reason I do it.
#4 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandra Dee
Hey - Linda - I keep meaning to ask you - how did you pick your son's name? Just curious!
T the scoop....phew....I really loved the name Adrian i loved it soo much..But it seemed that every little boy in PR and every little girl was either names Adrian or Adriana.... I didnt want a typical name for my son so I sleped on it... FOR A LOOOOONG TIME....One night i had a dream(:LOL) not that type of dream but a dream and i heard myself literaly calling someone Arian...But in a mommy tone YKWIM so i woke up and woke my husband up in the middle of the night(literally it was like 3am) and told him we should name our kid Arian Alexander....In spanish theres a strong accent in the last A on Arian so it sounds extremely nice and strong....

So thats how it came to be!!!

#5 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 01:11 AM

That is a beautiful story...and I love your son's name.

I use cloth for all those reasons, and for the health of my children...nak

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#6 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 01:20 AM

All these reasons plus...
1. gentle on babies skin
2. teaches the oldest about cloth diapering values
3.supports WAHMS not big irresponsible companies
4. IT IS SO MUCH FUN!
#7 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 01:26 AM

The biggest reason for me was that I didn't want dh exposed to the chemicals in sposies. Plus, cloth just seems more comfortable.

The cuteness of the dipes and the cost effectiveness are just bonuses.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#8 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 01:34 AM

Cuteness would be my main reason - even though Im not really into heaps of variety or anything like that and would never fork out really big dollars for a diaper - I just hate disposables - I hate the squishy, mushy look they get when wet and I hate the way they smell and feel when wet too.

Environmental - but more based on my own rubbish bin than world issues - I cant stand having my bin full of nappies.

Health is in there too - we all have sensitive skin in this house, and the kids were all a bit sensitive to disposables, not to mention Im just not sure what's in them.

Finally - I kind of like to go against the crowd and do something a bit different.
#9 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 01:39 AM

I really could mark all four reasons. It started with cost and the fact that ds always had a diaper rash in sposies.

Now that I am no longer brainwashed into thinking sposies are the only way to go, it just seems ridiculous to throw out that much trash every week. And I just love his big puffy diaper butt.
#10 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mama_kass

3.supports WAHMS not big irresponsible companies

Good one!

So, Linda - how do you pronounce it? I keep thinking Arian like Aryan Nation. :LOL
#11 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 02:00 AM

Cost and cuteness factor.
#12 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandra Dee

Good one!

So, Linda - how do you pronounce it? I keep thinking Arian like Aryan Nation. :LOL

I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO SAY THAT.....I KNEW THATS WHY YOU WERE ASKING yup!!! exactly....well in English sad to say thats how you pronounce it.....Its really so sad cause in spanish its so nice : i guess i cant have it both ways .....

But its kindda ironic dont you think

#13 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 03:12 AM

For us it is a little bit of everything -- Saving money, saving the environment, keeping chemicals off of the tiny tushie and of course I am totally addicted to all the new cute and amazingly made dipes!
#14 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 03:17 AM

Are you from PR? My husband is Dominican. We used his middle name Alexis for our DS's middle name and people are always asking me "isnt that a girls name?" But in Spanish it is also a male name.

I love your sons name btw!
#15 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 03:26 AM

I chose other ... Should read ALL OF THE ABOVE! :LOL

I started for mainly for cost & environmental reasons... & then the comfort factor made sence, then I found out all the health reasons. It really is true.. ignorance *IS* bliss. BUT I am no longer using sposies and will NEVER go back now... so Hind sight is 20/20. Glad I am here knowing what I know now!
#16 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 04:15 AM

I didn't vote b/c I wasn't sure which one to pick. Honestly, I just hated putting plastic on her bum, especially after a nice bath I wanted to put her in something soft and cloth.

It was only after I started thinking more about it (the hyena's howls could be heard even outside this one forum, lol) I had to admit that the environmental aspects were important to me, and have since become even more of a biggy.

And yeah, they are just so darned cute and pretty!!!!

The cost factor arguement kinda got blown out of the water after several online shopping trips and some oh-too-cute diapers!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#17 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 04:49 AM

Other

Because I think it is the healthiest choice for my son. I don't like the thought of all those chemicals/bleaches/gel beads next to ds's sensitive parts!

Environmental reasons are pretty important too, and I certainly feel that using cloth is just "too cool", but I'd do it for the health benifits alone.
#18 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Everything except cost. LOL.....I am such an addict I probably spend the same on cloth as I would on sposies BUT there is no chemicals on my sons tush, his tush is extra cute, and we are not contributing to the landfills. Plus my money goes to the people who I want it to go too and not big corrupt businesses! LOL

Desiree

#19 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 06:30 AM

For me, I originally switched because of $$ and environmental reasons, but now it's really a combo of so many things. I feel cloth is healthier and more comfortable for my babies. Also, I love to make a statement!

Jenny
SAHM to Noah (4), Joshua (2) and edd 10/18/03 Sarah
#20 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 09:04 AM

I switched orginally because of cost but now it is pretty much all of the above. I can't imagine throwing away diapers everyday and her butt is so cute in a CPF.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#21 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 09:17 AM

For me it is mostly because of the gel and perfume. The environment and cuteness factor is just a added bonus, and I'm pretty sure I won't be saving any money on them.
#22 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 09:19 AM

I'd love to say that it's environmental or other reasons but if I'm going to be completely honest it was and is money. The environment and how good it is for my kids is secondary.

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#23 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Max's Mami
Are you from PR? My husband is Dominican. We used his middle name Alexis for our DS's middle name and people are always asking me "isnt that a girls name?" But in Spanish it is also a male name.

I love your sons name btw!

T Thank you and im from PR.....I completely understand about ALEXIS to me its a boys name go figure.....Ya see the language barrier.!!...In spanish my sons name represents strength and in enlglish it represents, well, you all know.... At least it isnt spelled the same...

And Kerrie yes the environmental issues are "thirdary" (dont you just love my words) to me also....They are important but secondary....First and foremost is the health hazard(aka allergy) and second is the cost then in a third category is the environment it sounds terrible i know ...but honest..

#24 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 10:16 AM

I chose cost even though that wasn't my initial reason. I wanted bfing to really work for me on dd #3 and saw a recommendation to use cloth diapers to help you determine and count wet diapers since the sposies are hard to tell if they're wet. So I started looking in to it and since I was going to have two in diapers, it made perfect sense.

Funny because when I was pregnant with #2 my friend said she was going to use loth and I was like, eeeewwwww!
#25 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 10:16 AM

I selected them all. My "other" is that it's healthier for babies. When I first started it was for cost and environment.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#26 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 10:50 AM

All of the above!
#27 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 11:42 AM

I was initially interested in using cloth because I was sickened by the number of times we had to take garbage to the dumpster per week when using sposies. I pictured an entire landfill filled with our diapers. It made me feel awful.

The chemicals, the softness, the cuteness are all supporting issues that I discovered after starting to cd. Cost so far has not been a supporting issue because I've spent quite a lot of money on cd by using FB, then wool and hemp. But I think it will pay back over time. And I can always buy a bunch of ubcpfs for barely any money and those can be my diapers, now that I have all the fancy wool covers I could want, LOL.

And I *love* supporting WAHMs and not big industry. In fact, on the rare occasions that I supplement my little guy, I was thinking of using goat's milk rather than formula because I so detest the formula companies. I feel exactly the same about diaper companies.
#28 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 01:46 PM

Environment b/c we don't have recycling in our area, this is one way to make up for that.

Cost b/c we aren't wasting money and throwing it away on dipes. And I can use the dipes we have on our next baby .

Addiction........I AM ADDICTED TO CUTE DIPES!!!! I love to show off his cute little bubble but w/ a cute print on it. My neighbors laugh at Hank's diaper fashion show, lol.
#29 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 04:27 PM

For me,it's keeping chemicals off the babies skin,
then the enviromental reasons and plus the cuteness factors
#30 of 43 Old 08-07-2003, 05:19 PM

I orginally switched because of cost and ds is allergic to sposies. Now after all i have learned its all of the above. I love cloth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page