charlies soap - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-19-2007, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got some Charlie's Soap in the mail. How much do you use for diapers?

Thanks.

Lytorre, wife to one wonderful man. Mommy to two naturally-birthed, rough-and-tumble little men.

#2 of 23 Old 11-20-2007, 12:38 AM

:

I just got some, too. Is yours liquid or powder?
#3 of 23 Old 11-20-2007, 12:49 AM

I have the powder. I started with one scoop and have since moved up to three scoops in my front loader. They just weren't getting clean with less than that. I'd start with one per load and move up if you feel like they aren't getting clean.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#4 of 23 Old 11-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Kam

I use one and a half tablespoons in a regular washing machine. H was getting terrible rashes, though. After talking with the owner of Green Mountain Diapers, I realized they needed an extra rinse. Just because Charlie's is supposed to rinse out completely when it's gone, it does need a good rinse to get there.

Good luck!
#5 of 23 Old 11-20-2007, 01:54 PM

2 scoops in my FL

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#6 of 23 Old 11-20-2007, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Lytorre, wife to one wonderful man. Mommy to two naturally-birthed, rough-and-tumble little men.

#7 of 23 Old 11-20-2007, 05:57 PM

Hmmmm...I only use 1/2 scoop, with two rinses and mine are totally clean and odor-free. I do not have a front loader.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#8 of 23 Old 11-20-2007, 07:10 PM

I only used a tiny bit and my DS broke out in a fiery red rash. :-(. Just a note of caution. And I always do an extra rinse following CD washes.

Mama to an awesome jammin.gif 10 year old son and a sunshine-ycoolshine.gif5 year old son
#9 of 23 Old 11-21-2007, 01:42 AM

I wanted to love Charlie's but it gave dd terrible, terrible rashes with multiple rinses. It works great for some and not for others. I hope it works for you but please keep this in mind if you end up faced with a red bum.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#10 of 23 Old 11-21-2007, 01:45 AM

I used it tonight and did a scoop in with the wash. No rashes yet... I'm hoping that I'll love it.

What is the reason that it causes all the rashes? It is too common...
#11 of 23 Old 11-21-2007, 09:32 AM

I use it with excellent results. I have the liquid and I use about 2 spoonfuls in my HE front loader. It gets my diapers really clean and we've not had any rash or irritation problems. I love that it's so much better for the environment, and I spend way less because you use so little.
#12 of 23 Old 11-21-2007, 10:56 AM

I use the powder. I usually using a heaping scoop (tbsp) in my top loader. Works great and no rashes for us.
#13 of 23 Old 11-21-2007, 01:54 PM

Right now we only have about 10 dipes, so it's a small load - we use about 1/2 scoop for our front loader Oh, and we do an extra rinse, too!
#14 of 23 Old 11-24-2007, 12:04 PM

Howdy all,

Taylor from Charlie's Soap here. Since I can't go into a diatribe here without it looking like a commercial, I invite any and all mothers with questions/concerns to call our office. I have researched and found 4 common things that get skipped when people use Charlie's with diapers. I'd rather *solve* problems than *create* new ones. I'm sure we can solve them.

We're off today (on my way to see Clemson try to beat up on South Carolina!), but I'll be back in the office on Monday after Thanksgiving.

Taylor
#15 of 23 Old 11-24-2007, 04:35 PM

ctaylor i tried to send you a pm but your mailbox is full!
#16 of 23 Old 11-24-2007, 10:39 PM

ONE TABLESPOON....THE RECOMMENDED AMOUNT

Not 3 times the amount and not HALF the amount... (that's why those people had issues)...too little and the dipes aren't clean, too much and they will react to all the left over detergent in the dipes. You have to remember this is formulated with out all the additives and fillers as other detergents you don't NEED the same amount that other powders do.

I wash on cold, spray the poopy dipes with bacout (which gets out ALL the stains, and removes all of the soil and residues from the poop), a few tblsp vinegar in the rinse and and extra rinse cycle. The only rash my son has had was a reaction to suede cloth (going to get rid of that dipe). Otherwise he's perfect and our dipes are perfect. and I have a frontloader.

I highly recommend bacout to complete your wash routine, it is amazing stuff...my dipes have never been cleaner!!
#17 of 23 Old 11-24-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtaylorS_3 View Post
Howdy all,

Taylor from Charlie's Soap here. Since I can't go into a diatribe here without it looking like a commercial, I invite any and all mothers with questions/concerns to call our office. I have researched and found 4 common things that get skipped when people use Charlie's with diapers. I'd rather *solve* problems than *create* new ones. I'm sure we can solve them.

We're off today (on my way to see Clemson try to beat up on South Carolina!), but I'll be back in the office on Monday after Thanksgiving.

Taylor
Could you please post here the recommended way to wash cloth diapers with Charlie's and any usual variations or additions?

I am most curious about hard water and a top loader and then again hard water and a front loader. Pretty please? :

I wouldn't consider it a commercial, more a public service.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#18 of 23 Old 11-24-2007, 11:14 PM

here here! i would love a posting of th recomended usage for dipes! we love our Charlie's by the way. no rashes, no smell. we're going to get some for my in-laws for x-mas...
#19 of 23 Old 11-24-2007, 11:52 PM

We have been using Charlie's for about a year and love it. We use the recommended amount. I also think that is important. We use a little bac out in the rinse. The first wash is with the soap/bac out on cold/cold. Then we run a hot/cold wash without any soap. Our diapers always come out clean and have not caused problems. We have a top loader and I use the electric dryer.
#20 of 23 Old 11-25-2007, 07:42 PM

I'll have to do it Monday or Tuesday as I'm only in this evening for like 5 minutes. But I'll put it out then. Thanks, guys. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
#21 of 23 Old 11-25-2007, 07:44 PM

Just a note of something I was thinking about after I posted....if you find that for any reason your clothes are not coming clean (with ANY detergent) rather than using MORE than the amount recommended. or rather if you use more use a TINY bit more of charlie's not an entire tablespoon full, just think if a tablespoon is formulated for an entire load then just a small SPRINKLING could be that extra boost you need without you having issues with detergent being left in your clothes since it would not be diluted properly in the amount of water in your machine.

So if for anyreason you find your clothes didn't get clean, just run another wash cycle with the recommended amount of detergent and what soil didn't get out the first time should get out the second time. I acutally did this last night because I had ran out of bacout and I also had a VERY FULL, load of diapers that had sat anothe day or so longer than usual. But adding more detergent in the first wash would have only created more problems instead of fixing it. HTH!!
#22 of 23 Old 11-26-2007, 12:11 PM

Howdy,

I trust everyone is well after their Thanksgiving weekend. Thank you for letting me post this information. It is also on my website under Question #2 in the FAQ. I just want to reiterate that we're all about solving problems here. When something doesn't work right, we take it personally. So we try to make it right. Sometimes that means tweaking the formula, but often that means better explaining how the product works. So here goes. Below is what is listed on my website about cleaning diapers with Charlie's Soap.

---------
1)The machine should be cleaned of all residues of other detergents before washing diapers in Charlie’s Soap. If you use Charlie’s for your regular wash, you can skip this step. Put two scoops of the Powder or 2 fl.oz. of the Liquid into the machine and some old rags and run a full cycle with a double rinse.
2)Always use at least the full amount of Charlie’s Soap for a diaper load: 1 fl.oz. for the Liquid, or 1 Tbsp for the Powder. Many detergents say to use half the amount. Charlie’s Soap will rinse completely so there is no need to worry about residue. Charlie’s Soap needs that full amount to be effective on diapers. More could be required for excessive stains. Call for info if you have hard water.
3)Diapers that have been washed in anything other than Charlie’s Soap likely have detergent residues. Charlie’s Soap will clean those residues to the exclusion of other stains until they are gone. It may take several washes with a full dose of Charlie’s Soap to remove these residues. It is advisable to wash diapers new to Charlie’s Soap a full 3 – 4 times before using them on your baby. We want to make sure that nothing but the diaper comes into contact with your baby’s skin.
4)Charlie’s Soap will remove a lot of the bacteria in a diaper during the normal wash. But for the safety of your baby, we recommend you follow some sort of disinfecting routine.

For day to day washing, please take a look at the FAQ on www.charliesoap.com. There are some links to websites that include diaper washing methods using Charlie’s Soap.

----------------
I use the phrase "some sort of disinfecting routine" instead of choosing one method over another is because there are 14 bagillion methods and there isn't one right answer. Plus, I don't know all the chemicals out there. One might work for one person, and make the other person break out in hives. So speak with your diaper manufacturer and your family doctor about which disinfectant you use, but use something.
----------------
Hard water is a bit tricky, too. I've got an info sheet about it. It's 4 pages, long so if anyone wants it, please email me and I'll send it on. taylor@charliesoap.com. The long and short of it is this. If your water doesn't play nice, it can adversely affect the cleaning power of Charlie's Soap. Really hard water responds well to phosphates. They bind up minerals in the water AND help pull the resulting residues from clothes. If you can't get phosphates consider chemicals like borax or generic powdered oxy bleaches. They can bind up minerals in the water, too. While they don't remove hard water deposits from clothes, they do disinfect. So everything has its pros and cons.

----------------
That just about does it. If any body has any questions, please feel free to give us a call. Real people answer the phone and we're not all mean! Thanks again for this opportunity.

Taylor
VP OPS Charlie's Soap
#23 of 23 Old 11-26-2007, 01:31 PM

Great information Taylor!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page