Overnight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I am just starting out with CDing and I love love love it so far. My question is, is it possible to go overnight with one diaper? Last night I put DD in her Fuzzibunz, then I added a Jamtots hemp fleece doubler. This was at 7:30, at 11 she woke up because her diaper was soaked. I then put her in a disposable Apparently she is a very heavy wetter, and I can't see putting another doubler in her diaper, it was so huge as it was! Am I just going to have to get used to changing her a couple times a night?

Leah - Wife to Joshua (April 22nd, 2006) , Mama to Scarlett (April 17th, 2007) and Vera (October 23rd, 2010)
#2 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 06:26 PM

I have tried pockets at night and sometimes they are fine. The other night I used one without wool and DS leaked right through and peed all over both of us. Try figuring out the warm sensation at 4:00 am . What seems to work without fail is a trifolded regular prefold inside our brown edge GMD prefolds with either a wool soaker or longies over the top. It is ok if it is huge DS doesn't mind.
#3 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

What is a brown edge GMD prefold?

Leah - Wife to Joshua (April 22nd, 2006) , Mama to Scarlett (April 17th, 2007) and Vera (October 23rd, 2010)
#4 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 07:28 PM

I second the prefold, doubler, and wool option.

GMD stands for www.greenmountaindiapers.com. The different colors on the edges correspond to different sizes.
#5 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 11:29 PM

I made some fleece-topped doublers, and I use those inside a yellow-edged prefold, with a wool soaker.

When I did use FB (with my older dd), I had 2 inserts and a hemp insert -- her butt was huuuuuuuuuuge. And it didn't always work!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#6 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 12:33 AM

my ds was a very heavy wetter up until he night weaned...

our solution was 2 prefolds inside a fuzzi bun....He had a hugest cd butt ever but it held him through the night...

we are about to have baby#2 and are going all organic...anyone have a fitted/prefold solution that does not include a pocket...

preferably with a wool cover (I am knitting one now with the intention of felting it)
#7 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Well tonight I wrapped a trifolded prefold over the fb insert and then topped it with a hemp fleece doubler and stuck it in a fb and DD's butt was 2 inches above her head! It didn't look comfortable! Is it ok if a babies butt is higher than their heads while they sleep?

#8 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Every night is different for us, but usually if I double insert my pockets they'll last all night. Sometimes I will put a prefold (although bulky) in the pocket and that lasts really good too. Other nights, I just have to change him and that's all there is to it. I'm not a fan of the middle of the night changes, but I sleep with my youngest and I keep an extra diaper beside the bed so it doesn't completely disrupt our sleep.

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
#9 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawny View Post
Well tonight I wrapped a trifolded prefold over the fb insert and then topped it with a hemp fleece doubler and stuck it in a fb and DD's butt was 2 inches above her head! It didn't look comfortable! Is it ok if a babies butt is higher than their heads while they sleep?
It does squish down some. DS sleeps on his side mostly.
#10 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 11:23 AM

I use FB at nite too. I stuff it with a hemp babies and an insert. No leaks so far with that combo for about a month. I consider him to be a pretty heavy wetter at night. Sometimes I use a pf in place of hemp. That also works well.

It does seem pretty huge -my DH calls it his hockey pads

Three inserts does sound like a lot. Perhaps the wool would work better for you. I've never tried wool, but some of these mamas swear by it! I am waiting on a fleece stacinator which is also supposed to be very nite friendly.
#11 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 11:46 AM

Hemp fitted with a microfiber doubler, topped with a silk liner, under an Aristocrats wool soaker. Leak free at last!

Wife to J, SAHM to W (03/06) ribboncesarean.gif at 32w4d, C (10/08) ribboncesarean.gif, and H (02/11) ribboncesarean.gif

#12 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cotton fitted with a doubler and a wool soaker usually works for us!

mom to one glorious sweetpea born 10/18/2007.

#13 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 02:35 PM

My son was a heavy duty wetter. I tried everything, and I must say much to my dismay, I resort to disposables at night.
#14 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 04:49 PM

I have a very heavy wetter ds!!! I use a FB or Dry bees fleece nite time diaper with 2-3 mirco inserts and 1-2 hemp inserts. It is super bulky so it looks funny. Depending on the night I will change his diaper 0- 1x. I can't use sposies because ds soaks and leaks within 2 hrs. That's why we switched to cloth to begin with when he was 1-2 months old. Ds is allergic to wool so thats now not an option. I actually bought a huge stash of fitteds and wool for him before I knew that!!! He won't even let me come close with a wool cover he freaks out! He gets very bad ezema. I forgot ds gets really red boy parts (only overnight) if I don't use diaper cream now so at night I line his Fb or DB with a fleece liner and use diaper creams that are ok for cloth diapers. No more red parts and hardly no more leaks! Just if I could use wool then no more leaks ever!!! Good luck!!!

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#15 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 05:35 PM

My 7 month old is a heavy wetter. At night, we use a premium prefold with an infant prefold (I can't figure out how to put the infant in and still fold the premium, so I snappi the premium and then just put the infant over that/inside the cover) in a Bummi's Super Whisper Wrap cover. We never have leaks at night. He does have a big butt like that, but it works and he seems comfortable.
#16 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawny View Post
:

my ds's is like this too when I try to use CD at night, and he'll still soak right through them! Plus, he would wake up all the time because he was uncomfortable. He's a helicopter baby in bed, so it was really hard for him to maneuver with his huge bootie Right now, unfortunately, I'm using toddler night time pull ups. They're the only thing I have found that don't leak for my super heavy night wetter. I love reading the posts here, and when I find something that I haven't tried yet, I'll be sure to give it a shot!

Enjoying life with DH since 05/04 and our two boys Oliver 02/07 and Theodore 07/10 

#17 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 06:51 PM

We generally use prefolds + a bummis cover overnight. The only time this combo failed was during his 6 month growth spurt--we had about a week of out-peeing that combination.

I can stuff a pocket with one of our prefolds (now; 16 months) and it'll stand up for 12 hours. Never tried it before recently , though. A couple of weeks back, he was teething, ate some acidic foods, and got a bad diaper rash. A&D with a prefold wasn't cutting it to keep the problem down overnight, so I tried the pocket+prefold without cream. It lasted all night, and the rash was gone in the morning.
#18 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 07:26 PM

pocket dipe with a normal insert + trifolded hemp prefold, all covered with a wool longie just in case

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#19 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 07:27 PM

also...Imse Vimse just came out with a AIO that works well, i've used it at night with success, still use a wool cover though, just in case

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page