Questions about wool - favorites? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2007, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Howdy!

OK, I'm full of questions about wool today. I have pretty much decided to use prefolds w/ wool covers, as I'd like to go as natural as possible.

So I've seen the pull on pants, and the wrap-type covers. I'd like to know pros & cons of each. Seems the pull-on types would hold leaks better, but also seems like a pain to use, especially in the middle of the night.

I've also read these ads that talk about "soft wool." However, I've felt a few wool things and they always seem scratchy to me. Do babies really tolerate that stuff touching their skin? I think it would drive me crazy!

What are some favorite brands? I've seen many of the incredibly adorable WAHM ones - all the colors & patterns - soooo adorable!! However, I would like to do this as inexpensively as possible. I think all that really cute stuff is out of my budget. What are some good "budget brands?"

How many wool covers do I need for a good stash? (I'd like to gather up at least a good NB stash. So far I've purchased 2 used Nikky NB covers, which will probably not last me long at all.)

Anything else I should know about going all prefolds & wool?

Thanks so very much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 03:25 PM

do we have a abbreviation for holding a wiggly baby at keyboard?

just wanted to say i love my imse vimse wool cover...make sure you lie covers flat to dry...i draped it over a lamp and it warped a bit...but still works great.

caffix.gif

Old 12-13-2007, 03:27 PM

The wool used in diaper covers is not scratchy. Wraps are usually made from interlock which is the texture of thick cotton. One con to a wrap is if there are snaps it creates a lot of bulk especially with fitteds. Most of my wool is these http://www.cottontailbaby.com/item_1...ol-Soakers.htm. Recycled wool is great too the prices here are awesome but most of her sizes are bigger.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:30 PM

I haven't tried the IV but I want to!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:04 PM

I have accumulated a large wool cover collection. I haven't used any but here is what I have

Nikky wool covers
Imse Vimse
Biobottoms
Stacinator
aristocrats
ruskovilla shories
lana care
and others and just going by texture alone, the wool shorties by ruskovilla have the softest feel to me. The soakers by aristocrats are very soft too.
The stacinator are thick and seem to have a short rise, while the nikky wool wraps have nice rise, leg gussets and are soft.

BTW I got all these on craigslist from various people for fantastic prices.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:28 PM

The cheaper the wool, the scratchier. Nice wool is actually very, very soft. I love my Imse Vimse covers and longies.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:13 PM

I like my wool jersey wrap covers... I've gotten them from various WAHM's.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 AM

loveybums wraps (jersey &/or crepe for daytime) are awesome. if you can find seconds, they are usually fine and save a few dollars.

I love pull on wool covers--but not for newborns. They poop too much and have too many blow outs! Trying to get a pull on cover off over a mess...not fun .

Melissa, loving wife love.gif and mama to 4 girls now! DD 12, DD 10 1/2, DD 4, DD 2 Happily homeschool.gif, doing lots of hang.gif very little sleeping.gifof and as much as I can knit.gifsewmachine.gif reading.gif
Old 12-14-2007, 02:31 PM

We just switched to wool and love our new Sugar Peas. We have both the flannel and double knit and love them both for diff reasons. The flannel dries a little faster but the knit has more stretch which we really like and beautiful colors but it does take a bit longer to dry than the flannel.

As far as how many covers you need, usually you need 6-8 for a newborn. With wool they take 24 hours to dry but don't need to be washed often unless poopy. So, I would recommend using a snappi or pins on your prefolds, otherwise you'd need a LOT of wool covers I would think. You may want a few PUL or fleece back ups for times when all your wools are wet.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

Old 12-14-2007, 11:08 PM

I just discovered wool. All I have are some wahm covers and longies. I love them! I always reach for them first.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:13 PM

Pull-on covers are indeed a kind of a pain sometimes. Wool diaper covers are very soft. I've heard great things about Aristocrats, Bumpy, and Lana, although I've never used any of them because I have a knitting MIL. I did use Stacinators for a while and I LOVED the fit and fabric but ended up selling them because they just weren't hefty enough. Prefolds and wool on a newborn can be messy because of the runny poop.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Old 12-16-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan sacha View Post
We just switched to wool and love our new Sugar Peas. We have both the flannel and double knit and love them both for diff reasons. The flannel dries a little faster but the knit has more stretch which we really like and beautiful colors but it does take a bit longer to dry than the flannel.
i LOVE sugar peas covers too. at 5 monts i am using the australian wool covers exclusively. i only have 2 and am doing just fine (we also EC so we don't have a ton of wet diapers).

i've tried a lot of wool covers and these are my absolute faves for function, cuteness and trimness. and for my chuky boy they're the best for his big thigs. they are SO trim and have good stretch. i like to dry and shrink my covers and these work well for that too.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:04 PM

For my two bigger kids (15 months and 3 years), I use longies, shorties, and soakers. They're all knitted and pull on. I love them because the kids are big enough to help get them on. I also used them when my daughter was smaller, and I like them because they're easy to pull on.

I have a few snap on wool covers, and I like them for under longies for night time, actually. The double layer is great, and keeps my three year old dry all night.

For our new baby, I"m thinking of getting some loveybums covers because they look trim and easier for teeny legs. But I might just knit some soakers. I haven't decided yet.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:13 AM

User Tag List