Who has done it without a washing machine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-13-2007, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When this baby is born, we're going to be living with DBF's parents. He's not sure they're going to be okay with us using the washing machine and dryer for diapers.

There is a laundromat nearby, I just don't know how much of a pain that would be. Has anyone cloth diapered without a washing machine? How did it go?

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 02:48 PM

I used cloth diapers through a diaper service just for this reason - although we were living in our own house. I wasn't willing to put them in my washing machine, and wasn't willing to drag dirty diapers to the laundromat. So we used the service. It worked great for us.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:49 PM

We washed by hand while on vacation once. It was, for me, a pain.

Have you asked them if they would be o.k. with it? It really doesn't make a mess or anything. Maybe if you used a sprayer before you wash (which is sort of pointless w/breastfed baby poo...but it might make them happier) they would be fine with it?

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
Old 12-13-2007, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrin View Post
We washed by hand while on vacation once. It was, for me, a pain.

Have you asked them if they would be o.k. with it? It really doesn't make a mess or anything. Maybe if you used a sprayer before you wash (which is sort of pointless w/breastfed baby poo...but it might make them happier) they would be fine with it?
I know it doesn't make a mess...I don't really see the problem, but he's convinced they won't go for it. His own mom used a diaper service, partly I guess because his dad didn't want diapers in the machine. I will talk to them about it, I'm just planning ahead in case they do say no.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 12-14-2007, 01:54 AM

You might also want to do some research on cloth diapers and what "harm" they cause a washing machine (which I don't know of any). They one bad side is that you do run more loads than normal, which can shorten the life of your machine....

You might also want to approach them with the money savings side of the argument. There are tons of statistics out there that you could print out and hand to them.

Good luck!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
Old 12-14-2007, 11:36 AM

As far as washing them in the machine goes, you could

-handrinse them before putting them in, so they're not "that" dirty
-run a load of plain bleach water after each diaper load to sterilize the machine

I've washed in a laundromat a few times. It would be a pain to do it every time, but you can. Flats are the easiest to get clean, prefolds the second-easiest, so I would go with one of those choices.

A diaper service, if one is available in your area and if you can afford it, would also be a good choice.

Mommy to eyesroll.gif (age 7) and mischievous.gif (age 3)

Old 12-14-2007, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I used a laundromat for the first 8 mo with my son then went to paper after dc#2 was born I couldn't put her in paper plus it was amazingly expensive for a newborn and toddler in diapers(I change every mess/don't let them build up). So I went back to using the laundromat for15 mo. until we moved to a place with hookups. It was really hard and at times overwhelming and people at the laundromat can be *poopy* haha if they see you but it works out.

Mom to 6 with #7 on the way Sept 2014
Old 12-14-2007, 05:30 PM

Our current apt didn't havea washer when we moved in, so at first I did use the laundromat.
Problems:
1) Other people's soaps. If you have ever seen they way some people wash, you would be amazed. I watched many people pour SO much soap in those washers. I am talking a front loading machine and over a cup of liquid :. There is NO way that gets rinsed out in their one rinse cycle.
2) You usually need to do more than one rinse for your diapers to be sure all the soap is gone, which in a laundromat, that means 2x the money per load.

Options:
1) Check into how much a small (think dorm room) sized portable washer would cost. That way, if you do the first wash in your machine (which would get rid of all the potential yuckies) you could use their machine to finish it up.
2) Check Craig's list for another regular sized washer. We got ours for $50 and we have it rigged to a regular sink to fill. PM me if you want to know how.
2) Hang dry. Anything PUL or elastic will last so much longer that way. I am learning that the hard way now. My elastic is taking a beating.

W (26) and C (27) parenting G (11/06 ) and D (2/09 ) plus a new one (3/11)
Sometimes the greener grass is actually AstroTurf, a false promise and nothing more.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:55 PM

I'm looking into getting a portable washing machine - one that connects to a sink. They are relatively inexpensive ($100-200) so that might be another option.

I live in a condo and have been using our community washing machine for over a year now and it's getting to be a big pain. It's do-able, but I would really like to have a washer, even a small one, in our place.

But I would also ask them. If your dh's mom used a service, then at least she knows about cloth. I would definitely get educated about washing cloth so you can talked to her armed with facts about how washers do get cloth clean.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:00 AM

I washed cds ant the laundromat for about 4 yrs, 2 yrs per child. It really wasn't a big deal. Our laundromat has big huge machines so I could wash two wks of diapers in a single load. We live in an area where mold is not an issue and we could store the dirties outside in a nylon bag so this was totally dooable.

That being said, I worked really hard with potty learning with both my girls as soon as they could walk. I was pretty motivated to get them out of diapers .
Old 12-16-2007, 05:02 AM

I did cloth diapers without a washing machine when Ruth was new. And they were flats. I was so primitive . . .

I was worried, but it was fine. I would get enough that youcan use at least two days without washing.

User Tag List