Advanced Cloth Diapering: Keeping Baby Dry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-13-2007, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I've been doing cloth diapers for over a month now and I need a few pointers.

Conrad pees a lot. Every two hours he soaks a diaper and lets us know that he isn't happy about it. I think this might be part of what is waking him so often at night. I'm thinking that if I use doublers or liners it will improve the absorption and keep the diaper from getting so soppy... but I don't know if it will improve his comfort. I don't know if he is griping because he has a wet crotch or because the whole diaper is soggy from the moisture wicking.

So does anyone think that a doubler investment would equal more sleep?? I currently have seven doublers and four liners, which at the rate we wash diapers might be enough to get us through the nights.

And I'm really having trouble with prefolds! I can't seem to get them baby-shaped. The cheat sheet I have says to fold down a little flap at the top, but I don't seem to have enough diaper to do that. Either I shrank them too much or Conrad has already outgrown the newborn diapers and is ready for the next size up. Any tips for folding?
#2 of 24 Old 12-13-2007, 10:45 PM

We did all cloth with DD & had the same issues with peeing/frequent waking/soaking thru dipes & clothes & sheets. We persevered until a month ago when I changed to 7th generation sposies at night.

This has cleared up her diaper rash & she is sleeping much much better. Yhe latter may be coincidence. Who knows?

DS has also been night time sposied for 3 weeks & it has had the same effect on him vis-a-vis rash & sleeping.

I do find that if you are using pockets the inserts that they come with are not enough for more than an hour's worth of pee.
#3 of 24 Old 12-13-2007, 11:02 PM

A layer of fleece next to baby's skin is supposed to help keep skin dry.

Depending on how snug your covers are, you could just fold the PF in thirds and lay it in there.

HTH...sorry, nak.

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#4 of 24 Old 12-13-2007, 11:17 PM

If I tried really hard I can get Maddie into a newborn size pf, but mostly she uses infant one's. I can't fold anything down on the newborn, but can on the infant-but don't always. So I would say, it's probably time to move up in size.

I'm very lucky to have a good sleeper (most nights anyway), so I'm not sure about the doubler for sleeping.
#5 of 24 Old 12-13-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
A layer of fleece next to baby's skin is supposed to help keep skin dry.

Depending on how snug your covers are, you could just fold the PF in thirds and lay it in there.

HTH...sorry, nak.
I fold them in thirds and lay in my covers! Not sure what to do about the dry issue, we change often and no diaper rash. We use sposies out and about though (need to get wet bags) and been so busy baby got a red but. Put breastmilk on it and was wonderful by morning!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#6 of 24 Old 12-14-2007, 12:03 AM

This is why we've been using sposies at night but I hate to do it. I'll be lurking...
#7 of 24 Old 12-14-2007, 12:27 AM

Hate to say it but I'm doing disposables at night and many days too. I have the "dream" stash--almost all LC0s, wool, etc.--and I cannot hack having to change a baby every 40 minutes. That's how often she pees and that's how often she wakes up and cries if her bottom feels wet. If it were summertime and she could go coverless and just get changed a million times a day, I would be fine, but having to unwrap/undress her thoroughly wakes her up and then I'm unable to care for my older kids or to work (I freelance from home). I'm just really hoping that she'll space out the peeing once we're in Smalls.
#8 of 24 Old 12-14-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekimballs View Post
Hate to say it but I'm doing disposables at night and many days too. I have the "dream" stash--almost all LC0s, wool, etc.--and I cannot hack having to change a baby every 40 minutes. That's how often she pees and that's how often she wakes up and cries if her bottom feels wet. If it were summertime and she could go coverless and just get changed a million times a day, I would be fine, but having to unwrap/undress her thoroughly wakes her up and then I'm unable to care for my older kids or to work (I freelance from home). I'm just really hoping that she'll space out the peeing once we're in Smalls.
I'm pretty much doing the same thing. I'm putting her in sposies at night and when we go out, but the cloth is just too much sometimes because of how often she wets. So we do cloth in the afternoons and evenings while at home. It's a pain dressing and undressing her even with the disposables, but at least they're absorbent enough that I don't have to change her all the time.

I wish my little girl were able to fit in smalls for much longer. We're already looking at mediums in some of the styles of covers I have. My diaper stash is a hodgepodge of different covers, prefolds, flatfolds and contours, but it's pretty good for hand me downs and second hand finds. If I were planning on having another baby anytime in the relatively near future. I might invest in some toddler size AIOs for DD1 since pull ups are expensive and I'll be able to use them with DD2.

Anna
#9 of 24 Old 12-14-2007, 01:32 AM

The prefolds I use only when I am running out of dipes and/or we're able to change him quickly. He's sensitive to his own pee so he rashes easily.

I love Fuzzi Buns!!!! The fleece keeps him feeling dry and rash free and I can double stuff at night and not have to change him for hours upon hours unless he poops.

You might want to lay fleece next to his skin if you can't get something like Fuzzi Buns.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#10 of 24 Old 12-14-2007, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I decided to buy some fleece-hemp doublers... hopefully those will help. I have been thinking about going to disposables at night, sad to say. We'll see if the doublers help. After all the $$ I invested in cloth diapering stuff, I would hate to start buying disposables, too. But sleeping longer than 2 hours on a regular basis would be worth quite a bit too...
#11 of 24 Old 12-14-2007, 04:20 AM

I think the doublers will help. I stuff a pocket with a hemp prefold for nighttime and I change him twice during the night. It last 3-4 hours and he doesn't feel wet. My boy is a soaker just like yours - he'll soak a KL0 in under an hour.

Also, DS has already outgrown all his NB dipes. I need to sell them and get some more small pockets and AIOs! Don't rule out that you may just need to move up a size.

Also, I have a Happy Hempy pocket I use for night also. You need a cover but it takes longer to soak it, especially if you stuff it.
#12 of 24 Old 12-14-2007, 09:47 PM

My LO pees about every 15-20 minutes from what I can tell. I haven't been using the cloth as much as I wanted because of that. His naps are totally wrecked when I have to change him every few minutes so I have been using disposables a lot. We received a TON of them at our showers and I am using that stash.
#13 of 24 Old 12-14-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

I got some brushed cotton liners and doublers from Tiny Tush (the fleece-hemp doublers will be here in a few days)... I only washed them once and then tried them. I'm guessing that these need to be washed and dried the usual 3 times, like diapers? I'm hoping that's the case, since the initial performance was not impressive...
#14 of 24 Old 12-14-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlita View Post
I got some brushed cotton liners and doublers from Tiny Tush (the fleece-hemp doublers will be here in a few days)... I only washed them once and then tried them. I'm guessing that these need to be washed and dried the usual 3 times, like diapers? I'm hoping that's the case, since the initial performance was not impressive...
did you get the fleece-hemp doublers there, too?

right now the kl0s are working fine for us -- my biggest problem is that wren never wakes us up to let us know she's wet, and i feel bad. but i need to get some inserts and doublers for when we make the switch to hautepockets in a few weeks (i bought them as seconds so they didn't come with inserts).

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#15 of 24 Old 12-15-2007, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robina_josephine View Post
did you get the fleece-hemp doublers there, too?
No, I got them at Punkin Butts. Tiny Tush is out of fleece combo doublers for right now. I'll let you know how they work.

ETA: I just realized that I did NOT get the hemp doublers at Punkin Butt, but at Green Mountain diapers. Mommy brain!
#16 of 24 Old 12-15-2007, 02:44 AM

Hemp needs to be boiled before they are really absorbant. You need to strip off the natural oils.
#17 of 24 Old 12-15-2007, 03:35 PM

We use sposies at night.
Daytime diapering ds1 gets one of these ( http://babybunz.com/shopping/categor...=index&catid=3 ) inside a Bumkin AIO and he usually feels pretty dry to me. These things soak a LOT of pee &I think they come in 2 sizes (nb and reg)...

Ds2 is in size small...FBs, Bumkins AIO, infant PFs or if I run low on any of the above I just use 2 preemie PFs trifolded into a cover. The FBs are good for adding more absorbency and keeping baby feeling pretty dry, but they're not that great with the BM poop, IMO...

eta: sorry, can't figure how to link directly to the doubler...that link takes you to the right page, the specific doubler is called "Hemp/Cotton & Poly Fleece Doublers" $21.50/6 So worth it!
#18 of 24 Old 12-15-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

I'm getting the stay-dry hemp doublers on this page, which look pretty similar... http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/doublers.htm

We did regular cotton doublers last night (at least for the first shift) and he STILL woke up after only two hours. : Since he's not totally starving when he wakes, I'm trying to figure out what else could be waking him...
#19 of 24 Old 12-15-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I'm getting the stay-dry hemp doublers on this page, which look pretty similar... http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/doublers.htm
nak.
I think they're exactly the same thing...and I GMD. I've always had good experiences with them and they ship really fast. Plus I like their site b/c of all the pics you can really get a feel for how the dipes fit different body types.

Quote:
We did regular cotton doublers last night (at least for the first shift) and he STILL woke up after only two hours. Since he's not totally starving when he wakes, I'm trying to figure out what else could be waking him...
You're swaddling him at night, right?
#20 of 24 Old 12-15-2007, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac'sMa View Post
You're swaddling him at night, right?
Yep. I'm at a loss... unless his head is cold and he needs a hat. That's my only other guess.:
#21 of 24 Old 12-15-2007, 07:49 PM

Hehe...I think you just wanted to use that new emoticon! (I've been trying to use it too! )

Hmmm...maybe, but since being too hot is supposed to contribute to SIDS I'd be careful about that unless you're *sure* he's cold.
#22 of 24 Old 12-15-2007, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac'sMa View Post
Hehe...I think you just wanted to use that new emoticon! (I've been trying to use it too! )
Busted!

Yeah, I'm not convinced that his head is really cold... besides, when he first came home from the hospital, I tried putting a hat on him and it always came off.
#23 of 24 Old 12-15-2007, 11:50 PM

fuzzi buns with two inserts. It wicks the moisture away and absorbs a ton!
#24 of 24 Old 12-16-2007, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to cloth diapering

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page