question about baby boys and prefolds...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-14-2007, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was considering getting some of the yellow edge and the upcoming red edge prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers for the new baby. We found out we're having a boy and I'm wondering if this is still a good plan. I've heard from a couple of people with boys that they need the extra folded down section in the front for absorbancy. So is it going to be pointless for me to get the GMD prefolds? I usually trifold in wraps after the first few months if that makes a difference. I really REALLY don't want to spend all that money if I'm just going to end up using the prefolds I already have.
#2 of 12 Old 12-14-2007, 12:04 PM

I have two boys in prefolds. 2 years and 2 months. I fold down the front to adjust the rise, but not really enough for absorbancy. If I need extra absorbancy I add a lay in doubler. HTH.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#3 of 12 Old 12-14-2007, 12:09 PM

^^^ That's exactly what we do.

I change him more often during the day and use extra doubler at night.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#4 of 12 Old 12-14-2007, 02:34 PM

I don't use the extra fabric. It is less bulk to use a shorter diaper and a doubler.
#5 of 12 Old 12-14-2007, 02:43 PM

i don't think the extra fabric is much help in the front - and i always felt it made the diaper kind of poof out weirdly. i always folded the extra over in the back, seemed to help keep poo from blowing out. but i used pf's for both my DD and my DS and folded the same way and never noticed a difference between them. i think you should be fine.
#6 of 12 Old 12-14-2007, 07:10 PM

We have a boy and just starting using the brown edges today. I love them! So far we haven't had any problems. We were out earlier and he even went four hours without a change and wasn't soaked. I think the weight of the diaper is the same or maybe slightly more than the premiums. I was thinking that mattered more for wetness?
#7 of 12 Old 12-15-2007, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglebutter View Post
I was considering getting some of the yellow edge and the upcoming red edge prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers for the new baby. We found out we're having a boy and I'm wondering if this is still a good plan. I've heard from a couple of people with boys that they need the extra folded down section in the front for absorbancy. So is it going to be pointless for me to get the GMD prefolds? I usually trifold in wraps after the first few months if that makes a difference. I really REALLY don't want to spend all that money if I'm just going to end up using the prefolds I already have.
I can't comment on the differing prefolds (we just have/use premiums and fold down in the front because it's easy, not for extra absorbency) but I have to comment on the trifolding. We've never been able to trifold without leak issues. Most people I know who successfully trifold have girls, most people I know who have failed at trifolding and needed to continue with snappis/pins have boys.

I think it's because boys can get "aimed" in so many different directions (and re-aimed if if you attempt to aim down while diapering), and if he gets aimed towards the side of a trifold, it's leak-city.
#8 of 12 Old 12-15-2007, 11:17 AM

If I fold down, it's usually in back because I don't like the weird bulk in front. I've also trifolded with great success with my little guy. I just make sure to aim him down and I haven't had any problems.
#9 of 12 Old 12-15-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschick View Post
I can't comment on the differing prefolds (we just have/use premiums and fold down in the front because it's easy, not for extra absorbency) but I have to comment on the trifolding. We've never been able to trifold without leak issues. Most people I know who successfully trifold have girls, most people I know who have failed at trifolding and needed to continue with snappis/pins have boys.

I think it's because boys can get "aimed" in so many different directions (and re-aimed if if you attempt to aim down while diapering), and if he gets aimed towards the side of a trifold, it's leak-city.
I have poop leaking with trifolding but not pee. If your cover is snug it shouldn't leak pee anymore than any other fold.
#10 of 12 Old 12-16-2007, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyttlewon View Post
I have poop leaking with trifolding but not pee. If your cover is snug it shouldn't leak pee anymore than any other fold.
Generally, we do a bikini twist secured with a snappi, and that never leaks. Every time I've tried a trifold (with a whisper wrap), there's been pee everywhere soon afterwards.

I have some friends in RL who have cloth-diapered with the same result (able to trifold for girls, but not for boys). At the beginning, I kind of wished I could make it work. Nowadays, I'm glad the diaper doesn't come loose too when the child manages to get the cover undone. :P
#11 of 12 Old 12-16-2007, 04:35 AM

i tri-fold w/ ds. but back in the newborn runny poop days we pinned.
#12 of 12 Old 12-16-2007, 01:48 PM

I use GMD's rainbow shorts on my almost 1 year old boy with no leaks. They are my favorite pf by far!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page