Quick- Do I have to wash my new hemp separate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-15-2007, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got new hemp for DS and new prefolds for the new one. I've read something about washing hemp separate. (which right now I don't do) But I don't want to ruin this new stuff!!! TIA!

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-15-2007, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm new to CD so I may not be right, but the info I've received when I've ordered new diapers says that "all unbleached and hemp items should be prewashed separately from pocket diapers, all in ones, and other items with polyester fleece. All unbleached cotton and hemp may be prewashed together." HTH!
#3 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 11:55 AM

i dont usually wash my pockets in the washing machine, i do them in the sink or a bucket (mainly cuz i only have 8 of them and am too lazy to do 2 washes a day and go to the basement) - although i do occasionally just throw a couple of them in with the reg wash and i have a combination of mf, and hemp inserts and prefolds and have never noticed a difference or anything negative when doing this.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#4 of 7 Old 12-17-2007, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

I found some info thanks.

I read that for the first few washes to wash hemp separately from everything else since it has oils that will make cotton repel.

CPST and SAHM to DS (4/20/06) and DD (6/13/08)
#5 of 7 Old 12-17-2007, 02:56 AM

You should definitely PRE-wash your hemp and unbleached cotton separately from Pockets/AIOs or PUL covers. They need to be washed on HOT until all the natural oils are removed from the fibers. The oils need to be removed to make them absorbant. If you wash them with pockets/AIOs/Covers, there is a risk that the oils will transfer onto the other diapers and cause them to wick/leak/repel moisture. You'll know the hemp/Unbleached cotton is "primed" and ready to wash with the other stuff when you can squirt some water onto it (use a nasal aspirator or peribottle to simulate a "pee") and it gets absorbed. If it pools, keep pre-washing. If it soaks in, you're good to go with washing everything together. Depending on the hemp/cotton and the washing conditions, it can take anywhere from 3+ washes to achieve the "primed" status.
Hope that helps.
Karen
#6 of 7 Old 12-17-2007, 03:17 AM

I found it also helpful to dry them separately after each prewash on high heat, to make the hemp less stiff - s/t you don't want to do with pocket or other not completely cotton diapers.
#7 of 7 Old 12-17-2007, 12:56 PM

I used to prewash my hemp (when we used hemp) in the kitchen sink w/hot water and dish soap. Helped to get the oils out....

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page