What are wool longies and shorties for? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am getting some wool longies, basically because I think they will keep him warmer in these cold months. I read something about how they are good for moisture.. can any one give me more info on the uses of the wool longies and shorties?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 01:13 AM

I have only heard of people using them with cloth diapers. They are waterproof which means LEAK proof.

Becky: crazy attached momma to analee (9/06) & brian (10/08) & a teeny bean (edd 11/10)
#3 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 01:15 AM

Oh and they would need to be lanolized. Lanolin is a naturally found oil in sheeps wool. But it is washed out when the soakers are laundered. It's a very simple process and only needs to be done ever 2-3 weeks.

Your wool can be used several time between washings. If it feels damp, just leave it out to dry. It really only needs to be washed when it is clearly dirty or pooped on. And then you do the lanolizing.

Becky: crazy attached momma to analee (9/06) & brian (10/08) & a teeny bean (edd 11/10)
#4 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You use them over cloth diapers- no other diaper cover needed. I suppose you can use them over disposable diapers too, just as pajama bottoms.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#5 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 01:16 AM

They work in the same way a wool cover works. You must first lanolize them, and then they take the place of a cover. The lanolin means that they will force your diaper to absorb as much as possible. Wool itself can absorb something like 40% of it's weight before feeling wet. It has antibacterial properties and will not smell, simply air out between uses. They are awesome in a colder climate!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#6 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 02:00 AM

i love em for nighttime. one less step because the cover is also pajama bottoms.
#7 of 7 Old 12-16-2007, 06:00 PM

For the longest time, I thought wool would be a pain. I kept envisioning wet leaks everywhere. Then I tried it. I think the key is to have at least 2 covers/longies/shorties to start trying. If one got damp, I'd switch to the other. I love wool! Now, we use wool about 90% of the time, and it's great!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page