leaky (disposable) diapers!!!??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Location: behind my computer or between my angels in the PNW.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok. whats up w/ this. recently sheamas has been having some leaky pee dipes. only seems to happen at night in bed and it saturates our sheet of course... sigh... between this and my breast milk dripping all over the sheets sometimes, and megh peeing in her sleep on occasion (and refusing to wear a pullup...she's got chucks pads under the sheets...but still.), our bed is a mess!!!!!!

so tonight w/in only 4 hours he's had 3 very leaky pee dipes. and 3 different types of disposables...pampers swaddlers size 1, seventh generation size 1 and target brand size 1. i'm wondering if maybe he has lost some weight or something in his legs or his butt? cuz when he pee'd at night before sometimes there were full dipes of pee...but no leaks. on thursday he had his 2 week pedi appt and he weighed in just under his birth weight...so he's doing fine there...he's healthy.

help!!! what's going on, do you think??? should i go to newborn size? maybe the gussets aren't tight enough around his short skinny little legs? he's meaty but not so much in his legs...hmmmmmmmmmmm. this is frustrating.

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 09:55 AM

We had this problem with disposables w our first. Almost no leaks with cloth, though. If cloth is not an option, maybe sizing down would help. BTW- when we used disposables, white cloud (form WalMart) leaked the least, then pampers. Huggies were the worst for us, but for my sister's babe it was just the opposite. :dunno
#3 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 11:47 AM

Bummer Lis....I know that can be so frustrating....when my mom has our kids she often uses disposables if its for like 2 overnights or whatever and we've had incredible luck with Target brand. I think maybe you should size down to NB.....
#4 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 11:50 AM

Sounds like you need to size down. He's probably leaking out the leg, especially if he's laying on his side or tummy.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#5 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 12:14 PM

When this happened (to DS #1) we sized up (sorry to disagree with the PP) It was DS' legs or something-- he was long and it stopped BUT with DS #2 He leaks at night in Pampers and it really is getting on my nerves-- it comes out the sides! I tried a huggies (a free sample) and they didn't leak. Tonight I will be trying a Luvs diaper (size 2) and see what happens.
Good luck-- I really want to CD but have no idea where to start
#6 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 01:30 PM

Maybe getting a wool cover for the sposies would help? You wouldn't be going all out cloth, but would have something reusable to contain the leaks at night. I have some too small for Lilly I could send you. She's got chubby little legs and the ones I have are too tight on her.

Anna
#7 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taymakcoop View Post
When this happened (to DS #1) we sized up (sorry to disagree with the PP) It was DS' legs or something-- he was long and it stopped BUT with DS #2 He leaks at night in Pampers and it really is getting on my nerves-- it comes out the sides! I tried a huggies (a free sample) and they didn't leak. Tonight I will be trying a Luvs diaper (size 2) and see what happens.
Good luck-- I really want to CD but have no idea where to start

I agree---size up. Sounds like he's saturating the dipe beyond capacity. We do sposies at night and when ds1 started leaking, I always knew it was time to size up. then...no more leaks (of pee, at least).
#8 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

oh you are all so sweet. thanks for your feedback. this will be a trial and error thang,i can tell. hmmm well megh has some newborn luvs i got for her baby dolls back in MN so we are trying that on him. they seem too small though and the tabs to close seem flimsy. the gussets seem about the same tightness as size 1's in others. yeah, it must be the side lying at night cuz he never leaks during the day... but he is laying on his back mostly i suppose as i can't nap (unfortunately) often or at all daily. hmmm this is a mystery. and it isn't like he pees a few times and hours have gone by cuz i don't change him often enough...it is like every 1-2 hours at night he wakes to nurse and i always change him as he is always wet. total opposite of meghan...!!! i think i'll buy some NB dipes today...not sure which brand though.

dawiclady, that is really nice of you to offer your covers...sure, i'll be up for trying them! i'll PM you my address. hopefully the leaks will stop but if not at least those would contain. thank you.

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

#9 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac'sMa View Post
I agree---size up. Sounds like he's saturating the dipe beyond capacity. We do sposies at night and when ds1 started leaking, I always knew it was time to size up. then...no more leaks (of pee, at least).
really? size UP, eh? hmmmm this is interesting. ok...i'll try that. he does pee a LOT. if this doesn't work i'll go down to NB size. but he's a big boy so i can't see that NB size would be adequate. wow. thanks girls.

#10 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 02:04 PM

Yeah, now that I think about it if the dipe itself is SOAKED then size up-I suppose if he was just leaking around his legs that would be a gussett issue. Good call mamas.
#11 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

i'm not sure where he's leaking from...my guess is the legs...even when i pick up the diaper after changing him at night the thing drips...so that tells me its at full capacity. i'll try sizing up.

i googled leaky diapers and found some interesting info (its from some twins forum):

: isn't this little smilie the cutest!? i will try the inner elastic thing too...i have often thought this might be an issue too.

#12 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysalis View Post
i'm not sure where he's leaking from...my guess is the legs...even when i pick up the diaper after changing him at night the thing drips...so that tells me its at full capacity. i'll try sizing up.
Yeah, b/c even if that doesn't work (probably will) you can still use them later when he *is* in the bigger size.

And whoever posted about pointing their penis down is right. That's key!
#13 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 07:39 PM

I had leaky dipes til I figured that most times I pointed his wiener in the wrong direction. gotta make sure he's hanging right...
#14 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 07:40 PM

Ditto about the inner elastic. Still, the "ruffles" on DS's sposie will get caught inside and it's always catastrophic.

And penis direction is really important later as they get bigger and sometimes, uh, poke out. Poor DS, was just wailing and pulling at his diaper before I finally took it off and realized I'd folded his little willy in half
#15 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to the diapering forum. They have great sposie advice there as well.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#16 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 08:33 PM

With my babes, I found the dipes only leaked when the baby was too small for them. Also, some brands don't work for certain babes. For example, my dd1 could not wear huggies as they were too long for her wide butt. They always leaked. Fit matters.

With dd2, the poops leaked a lot in pampers but they hold a ton of pee. I use pampers on her at night and FBs during the day.

You can get waterproof mattress pads that are not stinky vinyl!
#17 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 09:18 PM

When we did sposies I found that sizing up helped with any leak issues. Hope you figure it out!

As for where to start for info on cloth you could always ask here in the diapering forum.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#18 of 18 Old 12-16-2007, 09:32 PM

When we used sposies we had trouble with all but the WalMart brand, and I always sized up. Since switching to cloth though, we've never had a leak . Hope you find something that works for you!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page