surprised - Charlie's soap is scented! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2007, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wonder why this soap is scented? I'm sorely disappointed because I was looking forward to using it. My DD had a huge reaction to the scent after I washed sheets in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2007, 11:18 AM

Hi,

I noticed this too BUT it seems to me that when clothes or dipes are washed in it that the scent is not present when I get stuff out of the dryer. It doesn't seem to linger....are you sure you rinsed well?

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
Old 12-18-2007, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Charlies soap is not scented. The ingredients used naturally have an odor which gives it a scent. Products that contain ZERO scent get there by using chemicals to mask the odors. We exclusivly use charlies and if rinsed well wont hold a any smell. There has been many reports though of children reacting to Charlies so it just might be something your DC can't use.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 12-18-2007, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would use vinegar in your rinse cycle. It ensures that all the detergent rinses clean.

I use Charlie's exclusively but I don't notice a scent at all. I love it.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
Old 12-18-2007, 08:24 PM

It is not scented, it just has a scent

The liquid has a much stronger scent than the powder. I like the way our clothes smell washed in it.

I'm sure it's something other than the scent that bothered your daughter. Bummer. My son reacted to Allen's, but was fine with Charlie's. Who knows what it is that bothers them.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia View Post
I would use vinegar in your rinse cycle. It ensures that all the detergent rinses clean.

I use Charlie's exclusively but I don't notice a scent at all. I love it.
careful, though--when i rinse diapers with vinegar, my DS gets all red . . .
Old 12-21-2007, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Well I must say - I was quite pleasantly surprised today. Taylor from Charlie's actually PMd me here and offered to help me troubleshoot. In this day and age, it was just very nice to have such great customer service! I still don't know if I can make it work, but at least I have some things to try. And, he refunded my money and is sending me the liquid to try. It was just very nice to be treated more than fairly here. And today my DH came home with our pictures from Sears, and told me the lady was actually yelling at him! what a contrast!

I'll be sure to come back here and post again when I have more results.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We love Charlies and there customer service is awsome. We also use the liquid we through trial and error discovered our DD really reacts to washing soda the liquid has some but at a much lower amount and that along with a touch of bleach (yes bleach) and a double rinse is what took us from horrible open bleeding rashes to healthy healthy skin. Shes fully PT now and weve been able to drop the bleach but we still use Charlies. We had to go to store bought for a while and everyone started itching and DD excema flared. SO now we stick wit Charlies.

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
Old 01-07-2008, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I had another thread going at "Mindful Home Mgmt." and I wanted to post the Charlie's update here. It probably won't make much sense here, but at least Charlie's is "in the clear" for actually *not* being scented.

Here is the cross-post:

There is more to the Charlie's story though. After speaking with Taylor at Charlie's, I decided to try it out some more. I tested it with my water, and it looked fine. So I ran a load of rags, and they did not come out scented.

So my best guess of what had happened was this - the Charlie's was pulling the fabric softener out of the sheets, and some of it was staying in the washing machine. So when I finally gave up on the sheets, I put a load of clothes (no scent to start with) in the washer with the Charlie's, and the clothes came out scented. That's when I decided that the Charlie's is scented (because it does have a smell in the bag - like a "clean, soapy" smell.)

But what really happened was the clothes I ran were picking up the scent from the washing machine (that the sheets had left behind). After a few more loads of clothes & rags using the Charlie's, all of the laundry started coming out without scent again - thank goodness. I really wanted to like Charlie's because it seems really great for cloth diapers.

I also bought brand new sheets from Costco, and we washed them once in Charlie's and put them on the bed - no problems at all.

I will give the scented sheets back to my mom. I really have no idea if the Charlie's would eventually get all the scent out of the sheets, but I am really tired of washing them, and I could never put them back on the bed, even if I did get the scent out. So that Charlie's exeriment will have to sit on the shelf for someone else to try.

User Tag List