Special Sept 11th commerative HHs - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"But if you like it, and she makes them, I suppose that is your freedoms at work!"

Ding, ding! We have a winner! LOL
#32 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetfeet
I agree with that statement and my feelings are my own. I can feel like I do without people getting defensive. I just asked for opinions about the print.
??? And other people are telling you how they feel. Why does it seem like you are the one who is being most defensive?

Karla
#33 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LoriG
Being from NY myself, and having seen the towers many times, it makes me have a knot in my stomach when I see the NYC skyline the way it SHOULD be.
I totally agree with that. Having lost several close friends and family members that day makes it even more disturbing to see.
I think that a patriotic fabric to commemmorate the day would have been much more appropriate - and the proceeds could have just as easily been donated. The twin towers are no longer....to see it portrayed over and over again as it once was, in some contexts is respectful, but this IMO crosses the line. I understand that some like the comforting feeling of seeing it how they remember...but have you seen the skyline lately? Thats not it
I don't know...I could go on and on, but Im sure I'm getting to the point of starting to ramble already. Lots of disturbing emotions coming into play right now........
#34 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:58 PM

Yeah, seeing the twin towers as they were- America, as it WAS, is not the same to me as seeing a Holocaust victim. Now, if the diaper was a picture of the towers exploding or crumbling to the ground... That would be more like the Holocaust victim analogy. It would be too heartbreaking a thing to put on my babe.
I think what Linda is doing is wonderful, not distasteful, and that we can respect how others want to commemorate things. To me, saying it is distasteful does not leave room for respect. And I don't see it now, perhaps it was edited, but wasn't someone saying that it was distasteful or something to sell something like this for profit? Not knowing it WASN'T for profit? If I were Linda, I'd want to defend my motives, too.
For her to say the obvious, that you don't have to buy it if you don't like it was not necessary, I'll agree, and something I don't want going on, either. But I imagine she was feeling a little defensive and exassperated at the moment.
#35 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 07:00 PM

" I don't know...I could go on and on, but Im sure I'm getting to the point of starting to ramble already. Lots of disturbing emotions coming into play right now......."

Yup. I have one crystal laser etching of the towers I got in NYC, but that's it.
Luckily the only family we had was my BIL that worked at the trade center but he got out.
Where in NJ are you? I'm in central jersey, right across the water from the city....
#36 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cassdarrow
Karla, I was surprised to see, when I went back to read, that you and I had both mentioned flags,and felt them inappropriate.
Now why on earth would you be surprised by that?

Seriously, though, I don't think that flag print diapers are inappropriate (as in wrong, for all people all the time). I just don't want to put one on my child. If someone else wants to put one on their child, I don't have any problem with that.

Karla
#37 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LoriG
Where in NJ are you? I'm in central jersey, right across the water from the city....
I'm in Warren County now lol...Recently relocated from Parsippany where I was since I was 2 years old
#38 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 07:11 PM

Quote:
sell something like this for profit?
the only mention of profit was in Sandi's first post.. which she edited because Meghan responded that it was going to charity.. not profit.. so there wasnt any confusion or need to post to "defend".

i guess i am misunderstanding the new rules.. i thought that the diapering board didnt want wahms posting to "defend" themselves.. and that they agreed to the wahms responding to threads as long as it was answering a question or something related to the product.. not defending their actions and what not...
:
#39 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 07:19 PM

We aren't supposed to review a WAHM's business practices here, either. But if someone posts something that makes it sound like a WAHM is selling something for profit when she's selling it for charity, I'd think she should be able to come on and clarify the facts. She also may have started posting her reply before the person edited their post.
#40 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 08:23 PM

Julie (phishmama)..yep..I know what you mean. Reece was only 6 days old THAT day. I had taken him for his very first doctor appt..he had only been home for 3 days. The doctor asked me if I had "heard the news". I hadn't. He told me. My world crashed. I took my baby boy home and cried my eyes out..my heart out. I just brought this little baby into this world. How could I? What sort of future will he have I wondered. I cried tears all over him and wouldn't put him down for days. I kept telling him how sorry I was that I brought him into this cruel hatred-filled world.

Back to the diapers..

When I look at them.. I feel hope. I can't really explain it but I don't see the death and destruction that happened that day.

No, I don't need any reminders..I have a reminder living with me. My son. My hope. My future.

When I look at those diapers I feel hope because the world went on..is going on. It didn't end that day. Yes, lives ended..but the world didn't.

Reece..my baby.. has had a wonderful two years. On 9/11 I wondered if he'd have another day...let alone another two years.

KWIM?

HUGS mama!
#41 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 08:31 PM

Slightly OT ...

I understand what the Sep. 2001 mamas mean. I was 8 months pregnant that day. How confusing it was...

I just want to Linda for not forgetting that there are still those who are affected and in need everyday because of that tragedy.
#42 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 08:39 PM

Ladies, first let me clarify the Diapering Forum Guidelines:
Quote:
A WAHM that personally sews a product may post to a thread discussing her own product for informational purposes only.
Linda responded to this thread for clarification. She wanted to correct any misconception regarding the monies collected from the diaper(s) auctions. It seems as though she wanted to clarify that it was not for profit as another post had initially (before being edited to correct) stated. Linda's initial response is in compliance with the above Diapering Forum Guidelines.

It seems there is a discrepancy between what is described as 'explaining one's self' and 'defending one's self on this thread. I would encourage those posting to this thread to consider that their opinions regarding their response to the 9/11 HHs are their own. In other words, challenging others' posts/stances is inappropriate for this discussion forum. As the OP was inquiring as to what was everyone's feeling regarding the diaper, that is what the thread needs to be about. In and of itself, this thread is out of place - though it involves two diapers, the theme of the thread is not about diapering - it is more along the lines of a subject for either Activism or Talk Amongst Ourselves.

In the MDC User Agreement it disallows:
Quote:
1- Posting in a disrespectful, defamatory, adversarial, baiting, harassing, offensive, insultingly sarcastic or otherwise improper manner, toward a member or other individual, including casting of suspicion upon a person, invasion of privacy, humiliation, demeaning criticism, namecalling, personal attack, or in any way which violates the law.
7- Posting to discuss the behavior of a member or members on the board, or to criticize another discussion on the boards. Such issues should be directed to the moderator or administrator privately and not made a subject of discussion in a thread.
Please watch your posting.

-----------------------------------------

For my own clarification, there is only ONE 9/11 Fund - there are many funds for that date, but the 9/11 Fund is RED CROSS.
#43 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 09:18 PM

I....would never buy a flag diaper for my son....Nor a flag tshirt NOTHING related to any flag not even my own.....

On to the topic: I believe what Linda is doing, to be extremely generous.She took her time to conmemorate something that is important to her in any way SHE can, she is helping ppl in need..She is using her creativity positively....

I for one would never purchase this diaper, but know of many ppl who would just because the proceeds go to a good cause and because the diaper lets some feel some strenght ...It makes them possibly remember that America will with hold with pride not matter what....

Thinking about 9-11 gives turns my stomache as i also remember exactly what i was doing...i was in college writting my "WHY YOU WANT TO GO TO LAW SCHOOL" essay when all of the sudden all the tv's turned on everyones jaws dropped and many began to cry....I think it is a sad day but one who needs to be conmemorated to remember those who left us that day...and those who became Heroes...

Point clear: i would never judge anyone for their opinions nor bash them to say the least..So please dont judge or bash me on mine...

:My 7 year old boy Ari, my fun loving husband and my life!
#44 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 09:59 PM

Wow all this uproar. I just looked at it as a chance to purchase a rare HH and know that my money was going to a good cause. So I bid and don't feel I am any less caring of a person then those who wouldn't bid on it. Of course now that I know Kathleen is bidding I don't have a chance.
#45 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 10:01 PM

ITA with you Liya. But even if I didn't, I wouldn't judge your opinion.

Hey one question, why can't I see the twin towers diaper in the link on the OT?
#46 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by warneral
Hey one question, why can't I see the twin towers diaper in the link on the OT?
The link is the same as the one above. Here are the twin towers. I had to go and search too . . . I heard people say 'twin towers' and I thought, "Huh, there aren't twin towers." Shows what I know. I stay AWAY from ebay now that the fuz are there!
#47 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 10:36 PM

"When I look at those diapers I feel hope because the world went on..is going on. It didn't end that day. Yes, lives ended..but the world didn't"

Yup!! I don't know how many of you have been to Disney, but I think that milennium fireworks song is SO perfect --I would listen to it and cry when this all happened. It seems it was written for this.

With the stillness of the night, there comes a time to understand.
To reach out, and touch tomorrow. Take the future in our hands.
We can see a new horizon, built on all that we have done.
And our dreams begin another thousand circles round the sun.
We go on, to the joy and through the tears.
We go on, to discover new frontiers.
Moving on, with the current of the years.
We go on, moving forward now as one.
Moving on, with a spirit born to run.
And go on, with each rising sun, to a new day, we go on...

Well anyway, when you hear the song (I have the MP3 on here), it's just sooo beautiful!!
#48 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 10:37 PM

I'm sorry guys, but why is it on these MDC boards that there is some major TO DO every few days? It is ridiculous! I love this board, I love having found somewhere to come to discuss my new love of cloth diapers, as well as learn more about a whole lot of stuff I know nothing about, but these kind of threads depress the sh*t out of me! Seriously, they stay with me for hours.... Aren't we supposed to be the "kinder, gentler" type here?

I mean, who really cares what we all think about the appropriateness of the diapers? Linda is doing a very nice thing by offering these for sale and donating the proceeds in a day and age when most people have forgotten the tragedy of 9/11. Someone will LOVE to have these - the same people who bought all the FDNY t-shirts and the pictures of the twin towers that still sell on the streets of NYC. I can't imagine WHY that needs to be not only discussed, but BICKERED about! Jeez! Yes, we all have the right of free speech, but that doesn't mean we all have to use it at every opportunity. We can also sometimes just be *gasp* nice.

I am sorry to be so heavy handed about this, but it makes me sad that I thought I had found a new place to hang 1out, when I guess it is just too TESTY over here for me....

XOXO -
Your cloth diapering, peace loving friend...
#49 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 10:43 PM

"I am sorry to be so heavy handed about this, but it makes me sad that I thought I had found a new place to hang 1out, when I guess it is just too TESTY over here for me....

"

Hey, you don't HAVE to read this thread --I don't read all the threads here! It's nothing to be depressed about!
There are always open topics here --mostly lighthearted, diaper-lovin' fun!! LOL
I wouldn't stress about it if I were you --just don't read this particular thread
#50 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 10:43 PM

Living in the patriotic South, I know that there are lots of people who love to buy stuff like this. And she did say she was making this b/c there was a demand for it.....

I just saw the Twin Towers one (thanks Heather!). I think it is a beautiful picture, and an eerie one too. I like dipes that make me laugh, so this wouldn't be for me, but I can totally see that there are plenty out there who would love to snatch it up. I hope it makes a lot of money for the fund!!
#51 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lifetapestry
Now why on earth would you be surprised by that?

Karla
Ummm, because I am an ultra right wing conservative (Yes, I usually think Rush is right when he says"this is the way things OUGHT to be), but I get the impression that most of the board users, ummm, er, ah, aren't. :LOL

ETA: After reading the rest of the posts after the one I quoted, I am beginning to think I may be wrong???
#52 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cassdarrow
Ummm, because I am an ultra right wing conservative (Yes, I usually think Rush is right when he says"this is the way things OUGHT to be), but I get the impression that most of the board users, ummm, er, ah, aren't. :LOL

ETA: After reading the rest of the posts after the one I quoted, I am beginning to think I may be wrong???
Cass, I am as about as liberal as you could possibly imagine and I agree with both you and Karla on the flag/diaper thing
#53 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 11:50 PM

nt
#54 of 59 Old 08-20-2003, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Cass, I am as about as liberal as you could possibly imagine and I agree with both you and Karla on the flag/diaper thing
lol me too!
#55 of 59 Old 08-20-2003, 01:10 AM

kewl mamas!
#56 of 59 Old 08-20-2003, 02:12 AM

I think it's great that Linda is donating the funds from these diapers to charity and remembering those lost in the 9-11 tragedies.

However I cannot get past the mental image of a baby obliviously urinating and/or defecating on the images of NYC heroes and the twin towers. *shudder* That seems incredibly disrespectful to me and for those who say there's a market it for this, why? I'm not looking to start anything, just genuinely curious why you'd let your baby do his or her deed/s on these images?
#57 of 59 Old 08-20-2003, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Hey, you don't HAVE to read this thread
It is kind of hard to avoid threads sometimes. I was knee-deep into this one before I started wishing I hadn't clicked on it in the first place. There is nothing in the subject line that says "hey don't read this if you don't want to see people get all riled up," you know?
#58 of 59 Old 08-20-2003, 02:54 AM

Midnightowl I am with you on that one
#59 of 59 Old 08-20-2003, 07:34 AM

This thread is being closed. Bottom line, it isn't really a 'diapering' discussion - so, a bit off topic. If you would like to continue the discussion, please feel free to open a new thread in Talk Amongst Ourselves or in Activism.

Thanks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page