Special Sept 11th commerative HHs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok what are your opinions on these Happy Heiny 9-11 diapers. I'll post my feelings in a seperate post. I am wondering if my feelings are similar to others or if the Sept 11th thing is a sore spot for me.

Hero Happy Heinys

NYC Two Towers Happy Heinys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 05:15 PM

hmm.. not something i would buy for a multitude of reasons...

1. i think that sept 11 caused enough pain.. and doesnt need to be rehashed every anniversary...

2. I wouldnt put something on my baby that commemorates something so terrible ... i mean i would put a diaper representing the anniversary of the oklahoma city bombing... or the american indian war.... or the bombing of iraq.. etc. Its just not appropriate IMO.... I have a line i dont cross.. things like that and religious figures dont belong on diapers.. disrespectful IMO.

I am sure the sentiment is there.. but IMO it would be better/more appropriate if it were something else.. an appliqued wall hanging.. a nice picture.. etc etc you get my point!
#3 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 05:17 PM

I stand corrected - I read this thread and did not thoroughly read the auction description - ENTIRELY my fault!!!!! Sorry!
#4 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 05:19 PM

i wanted to add... that i also think it would be ok if it was a regular print and proceeds were donated to the funds... its just the fabric that i have issues with.....

also are those licenced fabrics?
#5 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

It says the proceeds go to a 9-11 fund. Doesn't say which but thats secondary.
I think that there are things more suited to commerating such an event. What would your feelings be everytime you put that NYC skyline where so many died on your dcs bum?
#6 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 05:24 PM

I agree....its a sore spot and not something I would buy.
#7 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 05:26 PM

I think the first one is okay and I'd buy if it Dh was a fireman or policeman or something, because it is celebrating Heros.

The second one just leaves me feeling sad...

Of course, I've never even been to NY...so take my opinion with that knowledge.

I also think if it is her desire to donate to the cause, that is wonderful, but maybe with a different print.
#8 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 05:30 PM

Wow, sorry to offend.

The money goes to the Red Cross 9/11 fund. It is where we donated last year. All the proceeds of them go there.
These are not the only prints either just a couple of requested prints to be done There were several in just regular prints last year.
It states that in the second sentence along with what was donated last year and the running total so far this year for donation.
They are not used at all for profit.

It's not done to rehash anything but to remember that this not only happened but that these families still need the support both emotional and financial from us.

I don't make a dime on these at all and when it was first done last year it was requested that it become a yearly tradition. So many of us "forget" what others don't have the chance to forget.

When a tragedy happens it is easy to do what we can immediately but it is the long run that I look at, helping today and tomorrow.
This is one way that I can continue to help. Sorry the print offened some but like I said they were requested to be used.
#9 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Well maybe if the auction listing had what charity that would be one thing as there are/were MANY 9-11 funds. Also describing the print as cute.. :Puke
#10 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 05:46 PM

I'm in the minority here.. I like them. I like why they're being made..to add money to the fund. When I look at them I don't get sad..I feel empowered. What I mean to say is that I look at them and see what a strong nation we are. We overcame such a horrible attack..we all became more patriotic, kwim?

When I look at them..it makes me feel blessed to live in the US.

Yeah, of course it was a sad time..that goes without saying. But..

looking at the diapers doesn't make me sad. It is not the same as the Holocaust at all.

The heros portrayed on that one diaper..they gave everything they had and some even their lives. It's good to remember that there are still people out there who will give 100%.

Looking at the twin towers diaper makes me feel sad ..yeah..but more that that it makes me feel reassured that we will once again have a New York skyline like that. The terrorists made their mark..sure..but..we will build again.

Linda.. I applaud you.
#11 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 05:53 PM

No one said the print was cute :

Now that I've seen the skyline one, I rather like it. the towers were the first thing I saw when I drove into NYC, and the last thing I saw as I drove away. When Dh and I watched them fall we were horrified (for lack of a better word, there wasn't really a word to describe how we felt) and my heart just broke for the people lost and the families who grieved. I don't think I'd think of that exact moment every time I looked at the diaper, but remember the way it used to be, when I last left NY.

I guess it is a matter of perspective.
#12 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 05:54 PM

The charity was just clarified on the auction, as far as cute print it is my auction template and the bottom line is IT IS A CHARITY AUCTION Not one to offend anyone but one to help raise funds for those who suffered the greatest loss that day. That is it.

My DH comes home each day there are many mommies and daddies who do not. Yes today I still remember what happened and exactly what I was doing when it happened. I will NOT let my self forget because it is a reminder that I just have today.

One things that I can do is to continue to make yearly donations, it is something I can do with my product. That is what spurs the auction.

Once again it was not meant to offend and remember if you don't like it you don't have to bid But for those who do they know that if they use it or not their donation is going to a great source and to those who need it.
#13 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mama2kyla
hmm.. not something i would buy for a multitude of reasons...

1. i think that sept 11 caused enough pain.. and doesnt need to be rehashed every anniversary...

2. I wouldnt put something on my baby that commemorates something so terrible ... i mean i would put a diaper representing the anniversary of the oklahoma city bombing... or the american indian war.... or the bombing of iraq.. etc. Its just not appropriate IMO.... I have a line i dont cross.. things like that and religious figures dont belong on diapers.. disrespectful IMO.

I am sure the sentiment is there.. but IMO it would be better/more appropriate if it were something else.. an appliqued wall hanging.. a nice picture.. etc etc you get my point!

Agreed! Not something I'd put on my babe.

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#14 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 05:56 PM

Some people mourn in different ways. Commemorative clothing is just one of many things done to remember that event. I can understand why some don't care for such items but I know this was not created in with ill intentions just as the t-shirts, keychains, plaques, email power point presentations, websites, and television programs were not either. Some people feel the need to remember- if it was a family member, co-worker, friend, or if they just watched in awe as the events happened. We lost many co-workers that day...and I know there were friends and family that were expecting, giving birth, etc and I personally don't have a problem with them wearing a diaper that is commemorative no matter how thier family was touched by the event.

*edited* It took forever for my post to actually 'post' and I changed a word because I am a goof and put the wrong word in.
#15 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:01 PM

i dont think Meghan ever said it was done with ill intentions.. she just asked what was everyones opinions on them.. never did she mentioned what were everyones opinions on Lindas motives behind them...

Quote:
Once again it was not meant to offend and remember if you don't like it you don't have to bid.
I am sure that everyone realizes that... but this IS a diaper forum and people are allowed to ask people's opinions on a diaper.. whether they like the diaper or not. Too bad now people will feel they cant do that without the WAHM jumping into the thread to make her presence know.
:
#16 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No one said the print was cute
Read the auction..It says it is a cute print.

Secondly, I posted asking peoples opinions. Linda, we already know your opinion. : I can feel how I want to feel. I still give blood and such. I do my part.
#17 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:08 PM

I see the points, specifically the point how others have 'remembered' via tshirts, plaques keychains etc.
Honestly I find those distasteful as well.

Linda I think its great that the money is going to the RC/911 fund however. And your right..those who dont like it dont have to buy it (its why i dont have a 'never forget' or the like tshirt or keychain.)
#18 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbean
Some people mourn in different ways. Commemorative clothing is just one of many things done to remember that event.
I think this goes to the heart of things. I'm somebody who wouldn't put a flag or other patriotic diaper on my baby, because I'm just not into patriotic displays (not that there's anything wrong with that, just not for me). Same with these commemorative diapers.

While some people mourn by avoiding things that recall their memory of something bad, others mourn by approaching or holding onto their memories. It is this later group who tends to like commemorative clothing of any kind, whether it is of positive events or negative events.

If I had lost family or friends in 9/11, I would be touched by the availability of these diapers even if I personally didn't want to buy them. I would also be touched by the donation of all proceeds to a 9/11 charity. I think many survivors of any tragedy feel that most people have forgotten what happened to them and/or their pain, but things like commemorative clothing, even if it's not one's personal style), remind them that people haven't forgotten them or their loved ones who were lost.

So, kudos to Linda, for not forgetting.

Karla
#19 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:13 PM

Just call me stupid but it made me think of the time before the terrorist attack. Maybe I am just an idiot though
#20 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamingMama
Just call me stupid but it made me think of the time before the terrorist attack. Maybe I am just an idiot though
I just wanted to add that I am far from an evil person but I just bid on it because it reminds me of the time before the towers fell, a time when I still felt safe and that feels good to me. Sorry if that offends anyone. I think it is wonderful that the proceeds go to the cause and I do not want to forget, not ever.
#21 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
While some people mourn by avoiding things that recall their memory of something bad, others mourn by approaching or holding onto their memories
I agree with that statement and my feelings are my own. I can feel like I do without people getting defensive. I just asked for opinions about the print.
#22 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:24 PM

#23 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:33 PM

Quote:
And Linda has every right to defend herself.
from what? i still dont see where anyone said Linda was a horrible person for making the diapers... so im unclear as to what she needs to defend? are we not allowed to ask for opinions on prints in this forum?
#24 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JesseMomme
...... the towers were the first thing I saw when I drove into NYC, and the last thing I saw as I drove away. When Dh and I watched them fall we were horrified (for lack of a better word, there wasn't really a word to describe how we felt) and my heart just broke for the people lost and the families who grieved. I don't think I'd think of that exact moment every time I looked at the diaper, but remember the way it used to be, when I last left NY.

I guess it is a matter of perspective.
My hubby has a t-shirt and a mug (both have images of the former skyline with the towers) we bought in NYC two summers ago just two months before 9/11...and the towers were the last thing we saw as we left NY in a train....we use the mug and dh wore the t-shirt today -- but to be honest I would not want to put a diaper on my baby with those images....sorry, I can't forget how horrifying it was to see the towers fall knowing how many human beings were in there...and the shirt and mug do remind me of that...actually although we have back to NY, we have not been back to Manhattan since this happened. I agree that it is a wonderful thing to donate the profits to those funds, but I would only buy if they were ordinary prints, something cheerful and hope inspiring perhaps.
#25 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:36 PM

Being from NY myself, and having seen the towers many times, it makes me have a knot in my stomach when I see the NYC skyline the way it SHOULD be.
I do like pictures with the towers, shining in all their glory --I like to remember. BUT, I don't think I'd put something on my baby with that, since it also makes me feel a little sick. I guess if I wasn't from NYC in the first place, I might use that, I don't know.
#26 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:37 PM

I am going to reply BEFORE I read all the other replies. I would never put this on my child. I will not put a diaper with flags on it on my child. It is disrespectful IMNSHO. My child is going to relieve himself in the dipe, that's why he wears it. It seems to me that this cheapens what happened in NYC, just as the flag diapers cheapen the flag. I would NEVER consider letting my child use a real flag for a dipe, so what's the difference?

Cass, who doesn't really consider herself to be "true blue", but who also thinks instilling a little respect in our children is a very good thing
#27 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cassdarrow

Cass, who doesn't really consider herself to be "true blue", but who also thinks instilling a little respect in our children is a very good thing
It is really just a matter of opinion if you really think about it. Myself and family included all respect each other and what our country and other country's flags stand for, I do not see how a diaper disrespects that. You are entitled to your opinion and I will respect that and move on but I can assure you that I am not raising my children to disrespect anyone just because they wear a diaper with something simbolic on it.
#28 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:48 PM

It bothers me, but then so do the reinactments of battles. I think it cheapens the people who were murdered. We had family friends on the planes that hit the Pentagon as well as in Penn.

I personally think that it would be nice to make an americana diaper and give the proceeds to the charity. But if you like it, and she makes them, I suppose that is our freedoms at work!
#29 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by detergentdiva
It's not done to rehash anything but to remember that this not only happened but that these families still need the support both emotional and financial from us. So many of us "forget" what others don't have the chance to forget. When a tragedy happens it is easy to do what we can immediately but it is the long run that I look at, helping today and tomorrow.
This is one way that I can continue to help. Sorry the print offened some but like I said they were requested to be used.
I was nursing my two DAY old (Ian) when I watched 9/11 unfold. I'll never forget the horror of cuddling a barely 48 hour old baby and wondering why the hell I had brought a second person into this world....no offense, but I don't need a diaper to remember or to donate. Others might. Being a sep 01 mom, and tracy can attest to this too, we are hawked, inundated, lurked upon and questioned all the time about that tragic day. I'm crying right now just b/c it has been so glorified, it is always in our faces. If only we'd NEVER forget ANY world tragedies........we'd fix and move on instead of repeating viscous cycles of war and death over and over again. No, I don't need a diaper to remind me how precious life is, or how badly it hurts when one is untimely snatched....
#30 of 59 Old 08-19-2003, 06:50 PM

Just a reminder, ladies. I posted BEFORE I read the replies. My post is not in response to anything but the original question.

Karla, I was surprised to see, when I went back to read, that you and I had both mentioned flags,and felt them inappropriate.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page