Cloth Diaper breakdown for 1st Time Mom - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-02-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. I've done some research and have decided to go the cloth diaper route. I've got conflicting reviews about brands (some people like a certain brand, but other people hate it), so I'm confused as to which brands to buy. Here are my specifics so I can get recommendations

I'm pregnant with #1 and due May 3 with a girl. I am 29 years old. I plan to have two other children after this one, hopefully within five-six years.

Cost is not a real issue, although I'd rather not pay through the roof.

We will be washing the diapers ourselves.

Ellie will go into daycare twice a week in September, but the daycare is formulating a policy on cloth diapers (they've never needed a policy before apparently). May have to use disposables those days, although I hope I can convince them to take AIO's.

I really would like ease of use. I'm thinking AIO's, fitted's, and pocket diapers. How many of each do you think I should get?

I know the rule about not buying a ton until you know what you like, but I worry that I'll end up going the disposable route if I don't even have enough CD's for one day. I'm not going to give up on the cloth diaper route if I have enough of them. I may change brands, though.
#2 of 7 Old 01-03-2008, 01:15 AM

I'm in the same position really. I have no idea what I'm doing!

I have some Kissaluv Contours, and some Bummis covers at the moment, and am planning to add to them soon. I've found www.diaperpin.com quite helpful since they have product reviews.

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
#3 of 7 Old 01-03-2008, 02:16 AM

IMO AIO's are the best thing going.
Alot love Kissaluvs for newborns though & they're very popular. I hated them. I'd just get a little of everything until you find what works best for you.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#4 of 7 Old 01-03-2008, 12:57 PM

I myself prefer pockets to AIO specifically because they dry WAY faster than an AIO. Yes, sometimes it can be a pain to stuff them but imo it is worth it. Especially if I am running behind on laundry I may not get to stuffing them right away but I can still grab one to use. And since line drying is not an option this time of year: I am not tying up my dryer forever. That said I do like having an assortment. I started out by getting 18 bumGenius 2.0 and since have added 1 HH,Hugga Buns, 1 swaddle bees AIO, 2 berry plush AI2, asorted fitteds and covers and a few PF. My faves are the bG 2.0 even though I did have a few with elastic issues (cottonbabies has AMAZING customer service and took care of them for me) and my least fave is the Happy Heiny (those cute patters are way tempting though )
Good luck, Hope that helps
#5 of 7 Old 01-03-2008, 01:41 PM

www.bum-ware.com has THE easiest diapers to use. Her "extreme" AIO's are JUST like a disposable. They have stay-dry suedecloth inside and are extremely trim. They are the only AIO DD lets me put on her without saying "oww" because they have no bulk in the crotch. Izzy is a doll to work with and they have a wide size range.

I'd go for those for sure if your daycare agrees to cloth.
#6 of 7 Old 01-03-2008, 03:34 PM

I like pockets the best and have bought a few different kinds. I have enough to get through 1-2 days depending on how much #2 goes to the bathroom that day. I have figured out what I like about some and not about others (I have some bumpkinds AIO's that I only use at home as fillers like when we are leaving in 45 mins and I do not want to waste a "good" diaper) #3 is due in a few days and I have a few more kinds for him to try out as well and will order more when I find which I like best. I am trying to find the one size pocket I like most so I will have to buy less when he grows (sadly #2 does not fit in most one size since he is a chunky monkey) So what I would do is buy a few of each one you are interested in and see what you like then go from there. You can always sell the ones you do not like to fund more.
#7 of 7 Old 01-04-2008, 02:48 PM

If cost isn't an issue I'd totally go for goodmama one-size fitteds. That way, no matter how many children you have in diapers they can all wear the same diaper. They're REALLY hard to get though- everybody LOVES them. The only way to get them without stalking her website is ordering a wishbox pack of 12. Which is pricey. But SO worth it because of how high quality these dipes are. I SOOO want a wishbox!

Another option is bumgenius one size pockets. I love these even though they aren't organic like the goodmamas. They're SUPER easy. I bet a daycare would use them if you stuffed them. Just like AIO- they could just toss the diaper in a pail and you could pull the insert out at home (or really though pulling out the insert before you toss the dipe in a pail takes .02 seconds).

I'm all about one size diapers right now since I hope to have another baby while this one is probably still in diapers (depending on how fast she potty learns of course).

Diaperpin.com is a great resource like someone posted!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page