Mothering Forum banner

What constitutes diaper rash and when should I worry?

875 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CindyCindy 
#1 ·
DD is almost 5 months old, and has been in cloth since birth. We started with a variety of types of diapers, and ended up now exclusively in BumGenius. She has fair skin, and her diaper area is almost always covered with red spots. The fold where the diaper elastic hits her on her thigh is almost always solid red. None of this seems to cause her any discomfort, but her skin just never seems to look like it's not irritated to some degree. Is that diaper rash, and how much is normal? Would it be normal for a baby in disposable diapers?

Her skin didn't do this when she was tiny, and it seemed to start once she was wetting enough that fitteds were getting completely soaked against her skin. That was the first time we saw a rash, and it really hasn't ever totally cleared up since. Do all babies have a little diaper rash most of the time, or do we need to change something?

#2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by andinkra View Post
DD is almost 5 months old, and has been in cloth since birth. We started with a variety of types of diapers, and ended up now exclusively in BumGenius. She has fair skin, and her diaper area is almost always covered with red spots. The fold where the diaper elastic hits her on her thigh is almost always solid red. None of this seems to cause her any discomfort, but her skin just never seems to look like it's not irritated to some degree. Is that diaper rash, and how much is normal? Would it be normal for a baby in disposable diapers?

Her skin didn't do this when she was tiny, and it seemed to start once she was wetting enough that fitteds were getting completely soaked against her skin. That was the first time we saw a rash, and it really hasn't ever totally cleared up since. Do all babies have a little diaper rash most of the time, or do we need to change something?

Maybe its a sign that the dipes are too small? Or maybe you could try changing more often to see if it helps prevent the diaper from getting soaked? DS occasionally gets the red thigh crease look and its because I didn't change him soon enough or I made the diaper to tight on him. Hope you figure out the cause!!

#3 ·
ok I tried to reply to this last night and the computer was not being nice.

I also am thinking the red marks around the legs are from it being to tight there.

as far as the rash could it be your detergent? Maybe she is having an allergic to it and sitting in it all night with pee is reacting to her skin.

#4 ·
Have you tried giving her some naked time? Calendula cream really helped my son with diaper rash. He also had other skin problems that were linked to me drinking milk. Has there been anything in your diet (if you are bf'ing) that could possibly be irritating her skin?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.