Mothering Forum banner

Ew, bet you this one will stump you...gross diaper, mold?

901 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  UrbanSimplicity 
#1 ·
Ok, before I left for the holiday I left our last few dipes soaking in my little Haier washer. I realized on the train ride HOME---TWELVE DAYS LATER that I forgot to remind my dh to run the wash before he joined me on holiday. Did he think of it on his own? Uh, no.

That brings us to this morning, Day 13. I go to drain the water and my trusty washer has no power. (that's a whole other thread, btw.)

So dh was just rinsing the dipes by hand so I can bring them to the laundromat and look what we found:
http://steelcouture.com/scary_diaper.jpg

Yes, the color is correct---purple. or rather plum. almost star or snowflake shaped bursts. Lovely, really.

Mold? Fungus? If I recall, this one was a poopy dipe.

I'm wondering what people think about 2 things:

1. Does this give you any insight as to why my dipes have been SO stinky lately? Like there was something festering in there and it just grew crazy when left to soak for so long?

2. This dipe and 2 wipes that have the same are getting tossed. But what would you do with the other things that were soaking with it? Some have been there for 2 weeks, some only overnight. Dh says we should boil the other items then wash as usual. And will the washer be ok once it airs out?

TIA, I'm stumped on this one!

See less See more
#2 ·
If it were me, I would toss the whole lot, get the washer fixed, disinfect it with a good washing with bleach and some old rags and some good soap like allens or charlies. I would make my dh pack his own lunch for work for a long time to make up for the cost of replacing the diapers and I would give up my once a week lunch out with the girls to help. We would buckle down budget wise to pay off the credit card purchase of replacement dipes. I would read and read and read on the internet the recommendations from all the makers of all the dipes I bought to avoid any stink issues in the future. And, I would never do this again.

#4 ·
I had a load of hemp prefolds mold in my washer once (5 days in the summer) it wasn't such a pretty purple pattern, just little black dots- but they're OK anyways. I couldn't get the discoloration away, even though I <gasp> added a little bleach to the washwater. But at this point it's just a stain, we haven't gottem more or anything.

I don't think it's the fault of the diapers, clearly being in the washer for 12 days is the culprit, I don't think the mold was in the diapers before then, sitting in the washer is the perfect breeding ground.

I also think they can be used just fine, even if they're not cute anymore.

I haven't tried hanging mine in sunshine, but now that I have a new baby I might.

#5 ·
Like the pp said, boil the dipes, bleach the washer (with a few rinses to make sure it's all out), and see what happens. Personally, I would throw out the ones that have the purple, either. I would boil them, too. Probably separate from the rest, but would boil them. If it is a mold or fungus, the boiling will kill it. Add tea tree oil to the water for some extra power.

#6 ·
I'd wash all of them and try to save them.

I'd give them a good wash first - double rinse, double wash, double rinse. Then I might boil them.

Is your stink issue a soap problem? Soap residue holds onto stink.

#7 ·
my mom and sis who are both in the med field say that is definitely a bacteria and unless you want to use bleach - then maybe you want to throw them out. my sis said that bacteria always looks pinkish like that and then my mom even said that it quite possibly could be ecoli....eww. u would bleach them several times with hot water and them wash them and rinse them several more times i think.

#8 ·
I hope every washing routine is effective for bacteria - I expect bacteria on every diaper!

If the baby is eating solids, there is likely to be be e.coli in every diaper with a bowel movement.

Don't let the idea that there is "baceria" on it scare you.

If you can get it clean looking and smelling without destroying the integrity of the fabric, it's fine.
Ap, microbiologist

#9 ·
We had some type of black fungus or something in diapers once when my lovely husband put a wetbag with a few dirty diapers in the garage without telling me.. only for me to find about 2 weeks later lol.. Anyways, I just washed them with a good serving of bleach.. yes i know bleach isnt good for diapers but it was either try it and see or ditch the diapers so i tried it and the diapers are now fine except for the 1 piece of PUL that was in there (the rest were kissaluvs and prefolds) the fuzzi bunz PUL layer flaked off and is now a doll diaper since pee goes straight through it now lol

#10 ·
Thanks for the ideas.

I've tossed the 2 ec pants and wipes with the staining----the rest we will boil then wash. They are prefolds and lord knows i have plenty, but I still would like to save them.

Part of the problem is our washer has bit the dust. i think. unless dh can perform a miracle tonight.....so it's off to the laundromat.
not exactly the best place to be running numerous loads, bleaching, tea tree, gse etc. I'll have lots of supplies to bring w/ me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.