Prefolds for a newborn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-06-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so clueless on CD that it is not even funny. I desperately want to give it a legitimate try though. So I have a bunch of stupid questions. I am going to get a bunch of prefolds (half Chinese, half Indian) and covers to start with. How do I wash the diapers and covers? Will I always need to use a cover with a prefold? What do I need to do differently at night? What is the best thing to do with dirty diapers that get changed while we are away from the house?
#2 of 5 Old 01-07-2008, 03:15 AM

Those are not stupid questions - they are great questions, things you need to know to make it work!

Washing - basic routine is cold soak with plain water, hot wash with 1/2 amount of recommended detergent, double rinse. Dryer or hang to dry. Start there and see how it goes. You can fiddle with it later if it isn't working well for you. Good detergents to start with include: Country Save, Purex free, Arm and Hammer Sensitive Skin, Planet.

Covers: in general and for starting out Yes, always use a cover. Recommend a bummis cover - either a super whisper wrap or a super brite (the super brites have an umbilical notch so that the cover doesn't come up over your newborn's healing belly button).

Nights: if your newborn is waking frequently and you are changing frequently (ie same as day - do nothing differently). If your baby is sleeping longer, he/she will need more absorbency so you can add a doubler (basically a pad that adds material = more absorbency).

Going out: take a reusable diaper tote. Bummis make a good quality one that is not too expensive. Or at the mimimum take a Ziploc to carry your dirties home in.

Hope that helps! Good Luck - once you get your mojo, you WILL love it!
Karen
#3 of 5 Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewandGreenBaby View Post
Those are not stupid questions - they are great questions, things you need to know to make it work!

Washing - basic routine is cold soak with plain water, hot wash with 1/2 amount of recommended detergent, double rinse. Dryer or hang to dry. Start there and see how it goes. You can fiddle with it later if it isn't working well for you. Good detergents to start with include: Country Save, Purex free, Arm and Hammer Sensitive Skin, Planet.

Covers: in general and for starting out Yes, always use a cover. Recommend a bummis cover - either a super whisper wrap or a super brite (the super brites have an umbilical notch so that the cover doesn't come up over your newborn's healing belly button).

Nights: if your newborn is waking frequently and you are changing frequently (ie same as day - do nothing differently). If your baby is sleeping longer, he/she will need more absorbency so you can add a doubler (basically a pad that adds material = more absorbency).

Going out: take a reusable diaper tote. Bummis make a good quality one that is not too expensive. Or at the mimimum take a Ziploc to carry your dirties home in.

Hope that helps! Good Luck - once you get your mojo, you WILL love it!
Karen
: Although I don't soak my diapers.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#4 of 5 Old 01-07-2008, 12:46 PM

When I'm away from home, I put my dirty dipes in one of those scented trash bags. The smell isn't overwhelming, but enough to keep the "diaper" smell at bay. Not very enviromentally concious, I suppose, but it works well for me!
#5 of 5 Old 01-07-2008, 01:04 PM

I am also going to give CDing the "ol' college try" as they say...but I am very optimistic thanks to the gals I've spoken to. Just READ READ READ and SHOP SHOP SHOP. I spent a solid month of pregnancy researching diapers online and finally came up with a system that I HOPE will work for us.
I was told and deduced that:

It is both cost effective and usually succesful to use prefolds for a newborn especially, because they don't move as much. As they get more mobile, more fitted and structured diapers are more efficient. Later on, those infant prefolds are GREAT doublers so you will have a use for them. Just make sure you follow the WASHING instructions when they are new. Wash them AT LEAST 3 times before using. (wash, dry, wash, dry, etc...)

I ordered a few different covers so I would not be married to one type. If one works GREAt, I can order more of that one. (2 pro-wraps, 1 thirsites, 1 fuzzybunz (pocket/AIO -but I plant to use it as a cover and/or going out dipaer)
I also got a few kissaluvs 0s for night time security. They are supposed to be THE BEST for runny poo and they are SO SOFT and comfy.
2 wool soakers for over prefolds as well...when the kissaluvs are dirty.
I am going to use Tushies sposies for the first week or so just because I want the chore load to be less (laundry) right after birth and I don't know that any helpful relatives would want/know how to manage my laundry system.

Hope this helps a little, though I know you have a tone of responces and resources here!
good luck!

Mother of 2 boys, new little one on the way

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page