Help, my diapers smell like bleach! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Long story kinda short, this is my third attempt at using CD. Before Li was born we received a bunch of used CD of varying brands some with cool Velcro and other regular ones and 5 really thread bare and very stained Mother-ease diapers with snap in liners. Oh what I wouldn't give to have these new!

I was grossed out by how stained the mother-ease ones were, so needless to say we bleached them all. We did all these extra rinses and rewashed them after that. Well when he was a newborn, we first tried our CD, and he broke out into a rash. we switched to sposies (until things settled). Diapers stayed in the changing area. A few months later I tried it again only every time I put cloth on his butt instead of a sposie he screamed and screamed. I took that to mean he didn't like them. I was heartbroken, My son hated cloth. So the CD went to the garage and stayed there collecting dust till this weekend. Here is where we get to the good stuff.

I am so glad that my attempt to get rid of them failed and they were still in there after I learned about EC. I have been doing part time EC for a few months now 4 maybe 5? I am not really sure, but it is hard to see the signs with disposables. So I decided to try again (third time's a charm right?)

I learned about stripping them with Dawn and did that with my front loader HE washing machine. In between loads I stitched away at his new leg warmers. I was gonna be ready. I had him in cloth by Saturday night. I was so happy. He was lookin so cute in his new leggies too.

This morning I put one of the mother-ease ones on him with the liner and all. He looked so cozy! (funny how 11 months into this whole mom thing my perception of stains is completely different). Well we pulled it off to EC and it was dry, but smelled of bleach. I don't want to fail at this again. I would hate for him to have another reaction. I don't have very many diapers, so as tattered as they are, I cant afford to just throw them out. How do I get the bleach out for good. Did the stripping not work, because I only had Dawn original ultra so I only used like a teaspoon of it. We bought Tide regular to use for normal wash cycle, because we are not able to get the all natural alternatives right now. What else can we do. I really want to avoid going back to Disposables

The other ones don't seem to smell as bad of bleach. Oh ya on a side note: I have some Eucalyptus and peppermint essential oils on a tissue in the lid of my diaper pail. The scent is very strong but the diapers are not actually touching any oil directly. This should be fine right?

Jeez soemtimes my posts get really long.

thanks for reading. Any help at all would be wonderfull
#2 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 11:37 AM

gosh, you must have used a lot of bleach. the only thing i can suggest is rinsing with white vinegar several times. use a good cup of vinegar each time you rinse.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#3 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie9143 View Post
gosh, you must have used a lot of bleach. the only thing i can suggest is rinsing with white vinegar several times. use a good cup of vinegar each time you rinse.

That could be. I am not really sure, my DH put the bleach in and it was an awful long time ago.

When I do the rinse should I use dawn again or just put vinegar where the soap is so it is in the wash and then where the fabric softener goes so it gets in the rinse too?

Thanks for your tip.

oh ya does Vinegar damage your machine in anyway?
#4 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 12:16 PM

Here's thread that talks about soaps and FL:

Look at Post #58

Does your machine have a sanitize cycle? I'd try just a realy really hot wash without any detergent.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#5 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 PM

i dont have a front loader so i dont really know much about where the stuff goes in one. i have a reg old washer and i set the dial on just rinse and then as its filling i dump about a cup of vinegar in and the shut the cover. i do it all the time cuz i do use oxyclean sometimes and want to get the residue out and my washer is fine. i cant imagine it would cause any damage. i suppose you could do a normal wash and put the squirt of dish soap in the soap compartment and then the vinegar in the fabric softener compartment - since the softener usually is for the rinse anyway.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#6 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 07:56 PM

Do you have a suppar washing machine?
I washed my clothes with someone else's machine and it got some stuff out that mine hadn't. And, after washing there for a while, my home washer got some stuff out it couldn't.
Can you borrow someone's, or go to the laundromat?

I can't imagine the bleach is that strong! I've washed sheets in bleach and the smell always comes out after the second wash. Can you line dry them in the sun for a while? That would help, too.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#7 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
Do you have a suppar washing machine?
I washed my clothes with someone else's machine and it got some stuff out that mine hadn't. And, after washing there for a while, my home washer got some stuff out it couldn't.
Can you borrow someone's, or go to the laundromat?

I can't imagine the bleach is that strong! I've washed sheets in bleach and the smell always comes out after the second wash. Can you line dry them in the sun for a while? That would help, too.
I wonder if it is my nose then, because DH says he cant smell it. Maybe I am just worried about it because of the rash he broke out in the first time. I hope it is not as bad as I think I am still gonna wash those other ones again with the Dawn and do a vinegar rinse. Line drying here is more like line soaking, but come summer I will be doing a lot more of that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page