Size Questions as we round out our stash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, at my baby shower this weekend, we were so happy to receive a whole bunch of awesome cloth diapering supplies. No we just need to round out our stash. We're planning to use primarily prefolds and covers but also wanted a few "luxury" items (prefolds, aio's pockets, etc.) Here's what we have:

36 india prefolds
4 snappis
3 newborn bummis covers
1 small bummis cover
2 newborn snugglebees fitteds
2 small fuzzibunz
2 med fuzzibunz

We know we need more covers but are torn about what sizes to buy. I know this depends on the size of the baby--still an unknown! But I'd love to hear what you had at the outset and what worked for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 03:42 PM

Well, mostly you need more small covers. Even if you have a smaller baby these should fit (just!) and you have the three better fitting newborn covers. Ideally you should have about 6-7 covers, as they blow out a lot in the early days. Especially as you learn how to fold those prefolds perfectly!

HTH!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 01-07-2008, 04:40 PM

I agree that you need some more covers. We've tried Bummis, Imse Vimse and Thirsties and like them all (sorry, that's probably not helpful). Maybe buy one of each and see which ones fit your babe best?

I would add a night cover (either a wool soaker or wrap or a fleece wrap) and some one size pockets for outings. We like Bum Genius the best.

My babe just grew out of her newborn stuff. I bought a Rumpster AIO and didn't like it. I also didn't like Swadlebees Organic Newborn Veloors as well as Kissaluv 0s. DH and I loved the Kissaluvs for the early months. We're now pretty comfortable with prefolds but it took a while to learn to fold them correctly and we definitely have more blow outs with them than the kissaluvs.

ETA DD is a super soaker and we really like Under the Nile Organic Doublers for naps and night. They are really absorbent.

Also, look on the TP here. People are always selling NB covers. I think I got every NB cover used.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 PM

we used the prowraps nb size for awhile. dd was 8lbs at birth and wasnt a super fast gainer, around 25 percentile if i remember correctly atleast til 6 months. i liked them initially cuz they have a little dip/cutout for the ambilical cord. we also has some small sized ones that we used for awhile too. at about 10-12lbs we added a couple polar bummis to our collection, which i didnt love, but sizewise they fit well. my mom got us some small size thirsties and they were too big for her until she was probably close to 5 months old. those same small thirsties would still fit her now, she weighs about 23lbs now, but we have moved to pocket dipes for trimness and the fact that with her moving about and crawling and so forth the velcro comes undone on the thirsties covers - one time she even opened the dipe herself a couple months ago and got into some poo : - not good.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 01-07-2008, 10:57 PM

I would add
* 6 newborn fitteds with the umbilical snap -- Kissaluvs size 0 maybe
* 2 newborn covers with an umbilical notch - Thirsties x-small or Bummis Super Brite. Both have leg gussets.

With tiny babes, I didn't bother with a different nighttime routine. I found I was changing poopy dipes every couple of hours anyway. Then wait to meet your babe before picking up the next cover size so you know what style/brand to get (chubby legs = Bummis, skinny legs = leg gussets, "sleeper" baby = wool night-time longies, etc).

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all of the great advice!! It's so hard to know exactly what we'll need.

User Tag List