I finally figured out where the bleaching comes from - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2008, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has had me stumped for the longest time.
We don't use bleach in our house. I had to get a small bottle a year ago to dump down the drain as a disinfectent because raw sewage was backing up. Other than that, no. bleach. here.

But I was noticing that some of my dipes, particularly the color velour ones like my mutts and clothmopolatins (that doesn't seem spelled right) were getting little bleached out spots, mostly on the inners. I just couldn't figure it out.

It's from commercial baby wipes left inside the diaper. This may have happened while we were out, had to change a diaper but didn't have a trash to throw the wipe out at. Then if the wipe laid against the cloth, some sort of reaction occured that bleached the color right out. Hmph. TO think that was on my baby's skin!!!!

Serves me right for using disposable baby wipes. I never had this problem when I used exclusively cloth wipes. But then it was summertime and they were always drying out and it just seemed easier to use prepared and sposie wipes.

Am I the only relatively seasoned CD'er who didn't know about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2008, 08:18 PM

You know, I get bleached spots on my velour diapers, too. But I have only cloth wipes. I always just thought it was the poop that did it.

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:42 AM

If I leave a commercial wipe inside my pockets diapers they get a bright yellow discoloration on the fleece/suedecloth when the wipe dries. I have to be very careful and make sure dh and I don't leave wipes inside the diapers as well.

User Tag List