Do you put cloth wipes in a wipe warmer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have always used cloth wipes with my dd, in our old house her changing station was in the bathroom, next to the sink so I would just wet the wipes with warm water from the faucet.

Now we are in a new place and I decided to get a wipes warmer. I have been putting just plain ol' distilled water in there to keep them wet which works great except I use about a gallon of distilled water a week.

We really work hard at reducing our waste in the world and I can not find a place where I can refill the gallons with distilled water, only regular water. I hate the idea of buying a new gallon each week so......

my question is...

Do I really need to be using Distilled Water or can I use just regular spring water? I mean the whole point of using distilled water is so they don't get moldy or stinky, but if I only keep about 10 wipes in there at a time, then it probably doesn't matter right?

Thanks!!!
#2 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 10:25 PM

I don't understand why you switched from faucet to distilled?
#3 of 7 Old 01-07-2008, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Because the bathroom is far away from her room where we change her now. The house is funky is there is not a good place/system near a faucet. For the last month I would go to change her, get a few dry wipes go to the bathroom, wet them with warm water, bring them to her room, change her, and sometimes either run out of wet wipes or have an extra which I would sometimes forget about only to find cold on her floor later. It was just bugging me.

I am not a "gadget" kind of mom, I hate having stuff around, especially baby stuff. It was a big splurge for me to get a wipes warmer and from what I heard the wipes may get stinky or moldy if you don't use distilled water. Just wondering if that is true.
#4 of 7 Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 AM

I also use a wipes warmer with cloth wipes and distilled water, but I only use a gallon every two weeks or so. I have been buying distilled because the warmer directions recommended it, but now that you mention it I am sure it really isn't necessary. Good point.
#5 of 7 Old 01-08-2008, 02:10 AM

I use just boiled water with TTO, baby soap and apricot oil added. Just a smidge of all three. I have found that if I don't boil the water, I get mold. But boiled tap water works fine. I keep it in a tupperware pitcher and it lasts about 2 weeks at least. Pribably a gallon. I am surprised you are going through so much.
#6 of 7 Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKat View Post
Because the bathroom is far away from her room where we change her now. The house is funky is there is not a good place/system near a faucet. For the last month I would go to change her, get a few dry wipes go to the bathroom, wet them with warm water, bring them to her room, change her, and sometimes either run out of wet wipes or have an extra which I would sometimes forget about only to find cold on her floor later. It was just bugging me.

I am not a "gadget" kind of mom, I hate having stuff around, especially baby stuff. It was a big splurge for me to get a wipes warmer and from what I heard the wipes may get stinky or moldy if you don't use distilled water. Just wondering if that is true.
I've been putting wet wipes in the warmer. Sometimes I fill a gallon of water with faucet water just so I can do it quickly at the changing station... that works for me.
#7 of 7 Old 01-08-2008, 10:35 AM

We use a wipes warmer, and have never had a problem with stinky wipes. I just use filtered water from our tap. Several times I've even used water from our bathroom faucet which is *not* filtered, with no issues whatsoever.
I have a quart jar that I use to mix up my solution - tap water, several drops of TTO, a few drops of lavender eo, a few drops of chamomile eo, a small squirt of Dr. Bronners, and a bit of olive oil. I probably make wipes every 1 1/2 - 2 days. It really takes no time at all to mix it all up.

I do clean out my wipes warmer every couple of months though, with hot soapy water, and let it air dry.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page