Mothering Forum banner

Diapering a 5lber **added pics**

1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Gunter 
#1 ·
I'm new to CDing, and have a weird stash of one of everything that looked interesting. Baby came a month early and is tiny - nothing I have fits!! How do you diaper a really small baby?? I have some prefolds that are pretty small (not sure what size), but still huge on a little bum. I do have 2 covers that look like they'll work if I can figure out what to put in them. I have a whole bunch of KL0's but they're huge too, still. We've been using preemie disposables so far but want to switch over to cloth ASAP - as soon as I can figure out what to use. I'm really leaning towards prefolds and covers eventually. If I have to buy special preemie dipes I figure I can always resell them later.

TIA
g.

#2 ·
I used preemie prefolds and preemie proraps who was 4 15 when we left the hospital. I bought the same thing for this one just because I assume it will be tiny too!

#3 ·
I used preemie prefolds, and xs proraps, and we also we were lucky enough to get ahold of a few xs Fuzzi bunz that we loved. Im hoping this one dont come early cause I dont even have preemie diapers anymore, or very many NB ones.

Also we found a snappi didnt work when they were that small...it was just a matter of folding it and getting it in the cover.

#6 ·
My DD2 was five pounds and gained slowly. For the first two months, she wore preemie prefolds (towards the end of that time we doubled up) with newborn size proprap covers, which run small to begin with and only fit my full-term DD for a week.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the advice, everyone!
I'm wondering how long the preemie prefolds fit. Baby's probably up to 6 lbs now (and growing fast), and I'm wondering if nb prefolds would be a better bet.

p.s. I added diaper pics to my blog. Link in sig.

thx.
g.

#9 ·
how about using some mf shop towel or some flannel cloths? they are cheap, soft and u can cut them small to fit inside the covers and skip the snappi. then you just need to pick up a few little covers. i agree that the proraps run small...either the premie xs size or the nb size.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeekingJoy View Post
I checked out teh pics on your blog. What about folding the excess down in back instead of in front? Kind of a poo-catching pocket?
: Poo=Catching Pocket!
Yum.

#14 ·
I got the orange edged prefolds for my boys, but they ended up being bigger than I expected. I"d say right now they are 8-ish lbs for hte bigger one,a nd the smaller one is 7-ish lbs, and these still fit pretty good w/o all that bulk that the infant prefolds would have. I'd go w/ this size b/c by the time you get them your little one will be into the 6lb range, maybe the 7lb range. I'm still fitting well into xs in everything else (FB, BG AIOs, Thirsties and Bummis covers) and am planning to order some small covers next week b/c they are growing so fast!

#15 ·
Hey, free thinker! We were in the same DDC. HAHA, funny thing, today is my due date.

I have another thread around here somewhere because I finally decided that the orange edged nb prefolds would be the best fit, only to find out that GMD doesn't ship them into Canada. I'm trying to source them from somewhere else, but no luck yet. I can seem to find preemie or infant sizes, but not nb. I wish I had time to wait to find some used ones. I may have to consider using preemies in the end. Or wait till she's 8lbs and use the infant size. I'm still looking, though.

g.

#16 ·
my babe came 3 weeks early and was 5 lbs, too! no butt on her until like last week and she's now 26 months!

we used preemie prefolds and preemie pro-wrap covers. they were big in the beginning though. i remember just holding an insert on her bottom and wrapping her in a blanket for some skin to skin nursings!

my mom sent us kushies preemie all in ones but the poop would leak out of them. they fit well and were great for pee though.

eta: just saw the pics and those legs remind me of ezra's newborn legs so much! precious. you are a fabulous mama!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.