I just found a "Hybrid" diaper! Way cool! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 of 39 Old 01-18-2008, 07:32 PM
 
anamama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have CD'ed both of my babes, an LOVED it. My family and friends poked fun of me for loving it so much! I've done all kinds of dipes, AIO's, fitteds and bummis, fitteds and wool, and now pf's and wool are my system of choice. Love it!
Anyway, my parents are taking me and the babes to England and Ireland for 10 days, and we will have limited, if any access to laundry facilities. I knew I would use some sort of disposable product, and I've used 7th Generation sposies in the past, but I have decided on Gdiapers this time. I think they are a *much* better alternative to plastic disposables, I think there is *alot* less waste, and while the inserts are packaged in plastic (and I think they could make an improvement on that), you could use the plastic bag to line your bathroom trashcan
I think if you are choosing between plastic sposies and gdiaper sposies, I'd go with the gdiapers. You can flush them, you can compost them, you can throw them away. If you compost them, they'll be gone in about 50 days, a plastic sposie takes 500 years!
If you are choosing between gdiapers and cloth, I do think cloth is easier, cleaner, better for the earth and your babe. I folded a pf into one of the gdiaper covers, and it seems like it would work well. So, I was thinking that if I were starting over, I would just buy some gdiaper covers and prefolds, and some gdiaper inserts for travel/babysitters(yeah, right!)/whatever.
Best of luck!

:

so many roads to ease my soul...

anamama is offline  
#32 of 39 Old 01-19-2008, 01:12 AM
 
jenniferlynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I may be in the minority here but I actually love gdiapers.

I am (or was) a full-time cloth-diaper user and I love my CDs. But I was looking for an alternative for when we travel and for overnight. I have never found a CD (even the ones supposedly made for nighttime) that my DD doesn't drench, and so I was resorting to using sposies, which I hate because it makes me sick to think of them sitting in landfill for the next 500 years. So I tried gdiapers, and I am sold. I use them now for traveling -- no more lugging home a smelly bag of dirty diapers! -- and for overnight.

You absolutely do not have to flush gdiapers (I do, though, and have had no trouble at all) since they biodegrade in a very short amount of time. You can even compost them. So no guilt if you don't flush them. It does take some time to figure out how to get that insert in there right to prevent leaks, but once you do they're pretty much leak-free.

As to the rice paper liners, for me, they didn't work all that well. I found that they bunch up and poop gets on the diaper anyway, especially the sides. If you do end up CDing, you MUST get a diaper sprayer. It's this little gadget that attaches to your toilet and sprays all the poop off into the toilet. No mess, and no more stains on the diaper. Seriously, I don't know how people CD without one! (This is another reason I'm reluctant to travel with CDs -- having to rinse out dirty diapers by hand is not fun!).

So I think there's definitely a place for gdiapers in the CDing world. You don't have to use one system exclusively. For me, a combination of cloth and gdiapers works perfectly.
jenniferlynne is offline  
#33 of 39 Old 02-13-2008, 04:04 AM
 
JoyNChrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southwest Louisiana
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll be the voice of dissent here - I love love LOVE our gDiapers!!!

I tried cloth several times, but every time I had to wash a poopy diaper, I sold the stash and gave up. I just don't like dealing with it. I like a solution where the poop is gone right after the diaper change, and I don't have to deal with it anymore. For 10 months that "immediate solution" was rolling up the dirty wipes in a sposie, sticking the whole lot in the Diaper Genie, and that was that. But even though I didn't have to deal with the poop anymore, it bothered me to think of filling landfills with tons of disposable diapers that would hang around for the next 500 years or whatever. I also don't like how bulky cloth diapers are. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not the greatest about keeping up with laundry. There are days when we don't have many clean clothes left to wear...I'd hate to see what would happen if I went all cloth!

So then...enter gDiapers!

I've never had a problem with leaks. We're on city sewer, and flushing has never been a problem as long as I follow the directions and swish the heck out of the inserts. When we go out, I always flush without swishing...those high-powered toilets always seem to do the trick. At my mom's house (she has septic), I'm hesitant to flush so I just toss them. Yeah, yeah, what about the environment? Well, the inserts are biodegradable, so I feel like they're a heck of a lot better option than sposies. If nothing else, at least they're a lot smaller, so they have to take up less space! We also plan to try composting this spring...I'm excited to see how that works.

The gDiapers are also a much better option for us because of daycare (DS is starting 3 days a week in March) - they won't allow cloth, but I convinced them to do gDiapers once they saw how easy it is!

As to the concerns about the gel in the majority of disposables and the gDiaper inserts...I'm really not buying it. Millions of babies have been diapered in sposies without any problems...I fail to see the danger there.

As to the increased cost...well, I bought almost all of our covers and liners secondhand, so that helped a lot. Yes, the inserts are expensive - probably moreso than sposies. But I figure it's worth it to do something good for the environment. I know I'm not going to use cloth. Tried it, hated it (yes, some people really don't like it...sorry), not going back. So this is my best option. I figure the price is worth it. Now that DS pretty much only poops in the mornings, I may try prefolds or doublers (with a flushable liner, just in case) in the little g pants during the day (I don't mind washing the pee dipes...it's poop that gets to me), and save the inserts for when we travel and for daycare. We'll see...

Another comment on cost...everyone always talks about cloth being so much cheaper than disposables or gDiapers. I think that's true in a lot of cases, especially if you stick to the basics. But I know many mamas who get really caught up in buying special diapers and building extensive "stashes", and I have a hard time believing they're really saving anything (although they can reuse for future children or resell...but the same can be said for g pants and liners).

Oh, in the interest of full disclosure I should say that I don't use gDiapers at nighttime...we use Huggies Overnights, since nothing I found would contain the pee once DS started sleeping through the night last month. Eh, I figure it's one sposie a day versus 8-10 before the gDiapers. That's a pretty good improvement, if you ask me.

I'm not saying that cloth isn't the best choice for most people. But for people like me (who are grossed out by poop, who are a bit lazy about laundry, and who just aren't so die-hard about going "all-natural"), gDiapers are a good option. Much more environmentally-friendly than sposies, and pretty easy to use IMO.

My advice is to try it and see if you like it. You can always re-sell them if you find they're not for you (heck, sell your mediums to me, LOL). And if they're your gateway to cloth, great. Sell off the gDiapers to fund your CD stash. But you just might find that they're a good solution for your family. They've worked wonderfully for us!

(I hope I didn't come across as harsh or anything. I just get so sick of people raving about how much better cloth is than gDiapers, when for some people who can't or won't use all cloth, gDiapers really are a better choice.)

Stacy
Wife to K, Mama to Avery and TWINS due in September!
JoyNChrist is offline  
#34 of 39 Old 02-13-2008, 04:53 AM
 
ReneeC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyNChrist View Post
As to the concerns about the gel in the majority of disposables and the gDiaper inserts...I'm really not buying it. Millions of babies have been diapered in sposies without any problems...I fail to see the danger there.
MDC is entirely the wrong place to use "everybody does it" as your argument.

Sodium polyacrylate, the super-absorbent polymer that is the "gel" in sposies & Gdiapers, is known to interfere with the immune system (workers in the factories that produce it suffer slow wound healing), cause respiratory symptoms (it is linked to the dramatic increase in asthma in children), and encourage staph growth (which is why SAPs are associated with TSS when used in tampons). Babies who wear disposable diapers often suffer from open, bleeding diaper rashes, caused by the chemical reaction between urine and SAP.

Incidentally, the SAPs in Gdiapers is largely what lead to the city of Vancouver to recommend against its citizens from using the flushable disposable system. They say the SAPs are meant to retain large amounts of fluid, and cause clogs in the sewage system.
ReneeC is offline  
#35 of 39 Old 02-13-2008, 05:30 AM
 
JoyNChrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southwest Louisiana
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeC View Post
MDC is entirely the wrong place to use "everybody does it" as your argument.
I completely disagree.

I feel like I should share the reasoning behind my decision to use the diapers. I'm not saying that there may not be some health concerns. I'm not saying that some people aren't or shouldn't be concerned about it. I'm saying that from what limited research I've read that says it's bad, and the evidence of millions of babies being exposed to it and turning out fine, I have decided that I'm okay with it.

I understand where you're coming from - people use the "everbody does it" argument to justify many things, such as not breastfeeding ("My mama fed me formula and I turned out okay."). But I think the research in favor of breastfeeding has clearly and overwhelmingly shown that it's a better option, so that argument is not valid. Same with vaccinations - I'm not going to blindly follow the CDC's recommendations when I believe there's enough evidence to suggest that such a heavy vax schedule at such a young age could have catastrophic consequences to a child's health and development. However, I'm not convinced by the research that says SAP gel is bad, when there's a lot of other research to the contrary (I really don't feel like this argument is important enough to link studies and whatnot, but I can if anyone asks ). Since I can't make a clear "good or bad" judgement from the research on the topic, I look to the evidence. And the fact that the vast majority of babies in America (who are disposable diapered) don't have their bums falling off tells me that it's probably okay.

Obviously, I'm being a bit flippant there. I've heard the argument about severe diaper rash and things like that, but I feel that in most cases those problems are caused or exacerbated by infrequent changes or allergies to certain chemicals in the diapers (including, sometimes, the SAP gel). Of course, if your baby has a bad reaction to the gel, find another option. But as long as my baby isn't breaking out from it, I'm going to continue to use it because neither the research nor the evidence has convinced me that SAP has negative long-term health effects.

Maybe that's not enough for some people. In this case, it's enough for me. I just wanted to share that opinion. The OP was asking for honest reviews of the gdiapers. Having used the diapers and really liked them, I wanted to give an honest review.

So, yes - "everybody does it" was partly what led me to decide that SAP is okay. I think I'm entitled to use that as an influence to my decision-making, and I don't recall MDC having any rules that I couldn't share that opinion.

Stacy
Wife to K, Mama to Avery and TWINS due in September!
JoyNChrist is offline  
#36 of 39 Old 02-13-2008, 05:39 AM
 
JoyNChrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southwest Louisiana
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeC View Post
Incidentally, the SAPs in Gdiapers is largely what lead to the city of Vancouver to recommend against its citizens from using the flushable disposable system. They say the SAPs are meant to retain large amounts of fluid, and cause clogs in the sewage system.
I hadn't heard this, and I do find it interesting. Was the SAP actually causing problems, or was it more of a "it might cause problems in the future so you shouldn't use it" sort of thing?

Composting the wet inserts would solve this problem (assuming that you're okay with the SAP to begin with, which I am for now), and even just throwing the poopy inserts away doesn't seem like a huge problem to me, since they're biodegradable.

However, I really think the use of this diaper system would have to be very widespread before it starting causing actual problems with a city's sewage system. Perhaps it would be more of a concern for septic users?

I still think it's a good option for some people, who want to do something better for the environment but don't like or can't do cloth.

Stacy
Wife to K, Mama to Avery and TWINS due in September!
JoyNChrist is offline  
#37 of 39 Old 02-13-2008, 01:11 PM
 
XanaduMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SE PDX
Posts: 2,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really really wanted to love them, but found that we had poopy blowouts EVERY TIME (and ds is a toddler--so we're not talking runny breastmilk poop).

They flushed ok for us, but I did hate having to tear them apart first, esp when they're poopy (see above).

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

XanaduMama is offline  
#38 of 39 Old 02-13-2008, 02:05 PM
 
ReneeC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 653
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyNChrist View Post
I understand where you're coming from - people use the "everbody does it" argument to justify many things, such as not breastfeeding ("My mama fed me formula and I turned out okay."). But I think the research in favor of breastfeeding has clearly and overwhelmingly shown that it's a better option, so that argument is not valid. Same with vaccinations - I'm not going to blindly follow the CDC's recommendations when I believe there's enough evidence to suggest that such a heavy vax schedule at such a young age could have catastrophic consequences to a child's health and development. However, I'm not convinced by the research that says SAP gel is bad, when there's a lot of other research to the contrary (I really don't feel like this argument is important enough to link studies and whatnot, but I can if anyone asks ). Since I can't make a clear "good or bad" judgement from the research on the topic, I look to the evidence. And the fact that the vast majority of babies in America (who are disposable diapered) don't have their bums falling off tells me that it's probably okay.
I *would* be interested in those links, actually, because I have read and seen *very* convincing information that SAPs are dangerous to the people who manufacture them and to the people who come in contact with them. I would have to guess that any information you have to the contrary comes from the industries that are trying to sell a product. A baby doesn't have to have "their bum falling off" to have damage done to their immune system, their reproductive system, or their respiratory system. That is a very narrow view of harm, to require an immediate, visable reaction to a chemical in order to connect it with danger.


And the *point* of Gdiapers is that you flush it so that the chemicals and raw human waste are treated in the wastewater system. It *is not safe* to compost a poopy diaper, and I would have serious reservations about putting those chemicals in my compost pile in the case of a wet-only. And it breaks the law to put a poopy Gdiaper in the garbage. That is improper disposal of biohazardous material, same as putting a poopy disposable diaper in the garbage.
ReneeC is offline  
#39 of 39 Old 02-13-2008, 05:11 PM
 
JoyNChrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southwest Louisiana
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeC View Post
A baby doesn't have to have "their bum falling off" to have damage done to their immune system, their reproductive system, or their respiratory system. That is a very narrow view of harm, to require an immediate, visable reaction to a chemical in order to connect it with danger.
As I said, I was trying to be a bit funny there...just trying to keep the tone light (hence the "flippant" comment and winking smiley). I don't think there's been enough evidence to convince me that there are long-term health effects either. If something new comes up, that may change my opinion. And if the current research/evidence is enough to convince you not to use SAP, that's fine - different strokes for different folks. I was just trying to explain my reasoning.

Quote:
And the *point* of Gdiapers is that you flush it so that the chemicals and raw human waste are treated in the wastewater system.
No, the point of gDiapers is having a diapering alternative that is more earth-friendly than disposable for people who don't want to (or can't) go all cloth. It's made clear on the website that whatever you do for disposal (flushing, composting, or throwing away to biodegrade) is perfectly acceptable.

Quote:
It *is not safe* to compost a poopy diaper
which I totally wouldn't do

Quote:
and I would have serious reservations about putting those chemicals in my compost pile in the case of a wet-only.
But that's you. And you've made it clear that you have issues with the health concerns of SAP. For those of us who don't, composting wet inserts is a good option for getting rid of the waste in an earth-friendly manner.

Quote:
And it breaks the law to put a poopy Gdiaper in the garbage. That is improper disposal of biohazardous material, same as putting a poopy disposable diaper in the garbage.
As a former sposie user, I have no issue with this at all. I know some people do, but for me it's hardly at the top of my worry list.

As to studies, I know I have some stuff linked somewhere, and I'll try to post it tonight. But there's plenty of info right on the gDiapers site. Yeah, yeah, I know they're trying to make their product look good (which is perfectly normal and acceptable from a business standpoint), but the outside certification lends a lot of credibility, in my opinion. I look to the MBDC "Cradle-Cradle" certification as a "green" product (especially their human health criteria). I like the fact that they really are biodegradable and compostable. I like this article from a 2000 issue of Contemporary Pediatrics, which references several valid studies.

Now, before anyone points it out - yes, I did find all of this on the gDiapers website. But the important thing to me is that they're "outside" sources of information. And there's more out there that I can happily link later.

I'm sure that anyone who has a problem with SAP can find dozens of reasons why all of this research is no good. Just like I can probably do the same with the research they provide claiming it's bad. It's like vaccinations in that way. But the thing that I find important is that people make their own informed decision and decide what's important to them. That's going to be different for every person. I'm okay with my decision to expose my child to SAP for now. Some people may feel differently, and that's okay too. I just wanted to give the OP my opinion, since I saw so many people here pointing to the "dangers" of SAP and nobody saying that it might be okay. I just wanted to provide that viewpoint, so the OP wasn't immediately scared away without doing her own research.

I worry about vaccinations. I worry about hormones and antibiotics and pesticides in the meat and produce that we eat. I don't worry about the chemicals in gDiapers.

Some people are different. I have a good friend who threw out all her BPA-containing bottles the minute she heard research suggesting that they could be bad for babies, but she thinks the fact that I buy organic produce is ridiculous, and she fully vaccinates on schedule. And that's okay too.

Every mama (well, most of them anyway) is doing the best she can, and everyone will place different importance on what they decide to worry about when it comes to their children. I have no issue with that. I just wanted to provide an aternate opinion, which is one of the things I love about MDC.

Stacy
Wife to K, Mama to Avery and TWINS due in September!
JoyNChrist is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off