How to setup a changing station - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-17-2008, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!
With my first we used only disposables. I'm considering using cloth at least some of the time with my next who is due in august. I don't really know anyone who uses cloth so I'm still trying to understand the logistics of it
With my son, we had a changing table and diaper champ in his room and I only needed to go into the bathroom after I was done changing him to wash my hands. How does with work with cloth, do I need to set up a changing station actually in the bathroom so I can dump the contents into the toilet? I would also like to use cloth wipes with water, so I'm thinking I need to be by the sink for that or do I just keep the wipes in a container of water?? I am pretty clueless, please help!
Lisa
#2 of 7 Old 01-17-2008, 04:52 PM

I used a regular changing setup in dd's bedroom, with diapers stacked up ready to use, and dry cloth wipes in a basket. I kept a spray bottle with water in it on the table and would spray down a wipe as needed. When I kept them damp, either in a warmer or just a plastic container, the wipes tended to get mildew. If she had a poopy diaper, I would fold it up and set it aside while I changed her. After she was all taken care of and safely off the table, I would take the poopy dipe down the hall and dump it/rinse if necessary in the toilet. I kept a wet bag in the bathroom to put those diapers into. In the bedroom I had a diaper champ at first, then when her cloth diapers were too big to fit down the chute, I switched to a wet bag in the bedroom too. I washed the wet bags with the diapers so they didn't get stinky.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
#3 of 7 Old 01-17-2008, 05:08 PM

Here's a recent thread where people posted pictures of their changing stations.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=821741
#4 of 7 Old 01-23-2008, 07:53 PM

It just depends so much on your lifestyle!
We unschool, so there's no telling what we'll be up to on any given day.

If we're "out", I have a large diaper bag, because we may go through 10 dipes in a long day "out".

At home, I have a laundry basket with a wetbag for a "liner", and a second basket with clean dipes and a wet-pad for changing on - these get toted around, usually to our bedroom at night, and the living room during the day, but sometimes my "office" as well. A wheeled cart would be nice, but we make do. When the wet-bag/basket gets full and the clean basket gets empty, it's time to do laundry <LOL!> I only wash the wet-bag when it gets soiled or smelly, because I only have one ;->

We usually change dipes on the floor, or the bed, or the couch, or... wherever we are.

I've never owned a changing table- I'm 6' tall, and most of them are kinda short - and I'm lazy and prefer sitting for diaper changes.

But I know lots of people who love their stand-up-changing-tables. So it just depends on what works for you.
#5 of 7 Old 01-25-2008, 01:49 AM

We have a changing pad on a dresser and diapers in the drawers.

I got a sports bottle with a formula logo from my OB in their big welcome package (the bag was actually quite nice!) and use it for my wipes solution. I have an old plastic wipes tub and just fill that full of wipes and squirt them down. That way I don't have so many wet at once that they'd get moldy and I have solution ready if I run out of wet wipes.

I am lucky enough to have two pail liners but really wish they were draw-string tops so I could take it easily on over-nights and also so things wouldn't go back in it in the wash.

I'm sure that once DD gets more active I'll move the whole operation to the floor like I did with DS. Right now, he's in sposies and we change him on a mat laid on the extra twin in his room.
#6 of 7 Old 01-25-2008, 09:12 AM

We have a change table with all the dipes folded. Baby faceclothes in a basket for wipes and a dollar store spray bottle filled with plain water. We use a small kitchen garbage can as a diaper pail, and have it lined with a Bummis tote (sz. L) I used to wash the wetbag irregularly, but I've just bought another one, so I now wash it everytime.

Because DS isn't on solids yet I don't do anything special with a poopy diaper, I just stick it in the pail. When he is on solids, I will lay the diaper to the side and finish with him and then deal with the diaper in the bathroom.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#7 of 7 Old 01-25-2008, 12:49 PM

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/IMG_1309.jpg

I have a regular dresser/changing table. I have two diaper hangers--one with fitteds and one with pockets. Covers are kept in the first drawer. I use wet cloth wipes in a wipes warmer. My pail is a Simple Human pail from Target w/ a Bummis wetbag in it. I have two, so I was the liner everytime. She is still EBF, so I don't do anything about the poop unless its a special fitted that i don't want to have any stains.

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page