Mothering Forum banner

What is your favorite way to CD your medium baby?

548 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  MelG 
#1 ·
I started CD'ing my 2.5 year old when he was in size large... so I have a variety of large sized pocket diapers (FB and HH).

Then, when I had my twins, I started diapering them with a variety of prefolds and covers, AIO's, OS pockets and fitteds.

What is your favorite type of diaper for your Medium sized baby? My twins are ready for that size now. The prefolds were great when they were little, but I can't imagine getting them on them when they are more wiggly. I am also starting to have some leaking with the small sized diapers. Does that happen sometimes when the diapers are starting to get too small? I don't think that it is the absorbancy of the diaper (i.e. needing to strip the diaper or change my laundry soap), but the fact that the whole system needs to be more absorbant. (Did I expain that right?)

Did you move to pocket diapers? or were you able to use AIO's? Are fitteds the way to go? Is the absorbancy enough with a basic diaper or did you need to stuff it more (or add another doubler?). For some reason, my head is spinning with all of the options and I need some help.

#2 ·
I use mostly pockets, because I love that you can adjust the absorbancy for day, night, whatever. Some kids potty train out of mediums, but neither of mine did.

I found that if I pre-stuffed all the pockets, they were no more cumbersome to use than AIOs, and dry much faster.

#3 ·
I use mostly AIOs now (bottombumpers are my favorite and what I use almost exclusively). It was hard to find an AIO that was absorbant and trim enough (I like trim). I like them because they are easy to use and easy to wash (natural inners). I never found a pocket that I liked the fit of on my babe.

I also use fitteds and wool, mostly because I love to knit

I am so happy with my current stash, I don't even look at diapers anymore

#5 ·
We started with the OS pockets at a Med size. Before that, they were just too big IMO, so we had prefolds or fitteds. With the OS they will be in the same diapers from now till they PL, in theory. I really found that my DD was a super wetter from about 4-8 months old. After 8 months is when she picked up her solid food intake enough to lessen the BM intake, equaling less pee out. Having the pocket's versatility in absorbancy was key. Also, even now, our BG AIO's can't hold very much. I would even call my DD a light wetter now. HTH

#8 ·
I love my fitteds. But we also go coverless most of the time. I have some AIOs for the nursery or the off chance we have a baby sitter come over, or if i know we're going to have a day when we're gone pretty much all day. But fitteds are what I prefer for around the house.

#11 ·
I too did the same thing as you, using prefolds and covers with my small baby, but now that she is a medium I switched to pockets for the reason of the wiggly baby and the leaking. switching to pockets at this stage is also great b/c all those small prefolds fit perfectly inside my posket diapers (and even the fuzzibuns which people told me they wouldn't)

#12 ·
Thank you, thank you for all of your replies!

I am happy to hear that the OS just started to fit better on your Medium sized babies. I was wondering what I was doing wrong with those diapers. Well, it looks like I should look into a few Medium pockets and fitteds to try out w/DS's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.