I am always amazed that cds don't go hand in hand with... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 08-29-2003, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a home birth and didn't cloth diaper at first.

My midwife never mentioned diapers, and even though I have been a community member at many alternative parenting sites I guess I never paid much attention to the cloth diapering threads.

I have vivid memories of dunking my little brother's poopies and was not about to have to repeat that. If I had only known what was available. Oh well, at least I figured it out when she was only 10 weeks old. I still have plenty of time to sharpen my hyena skills.

amy
#32 of 56 Old 08-29-2003, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
And the financial end of the bargain played a big part. I am not a vegan but live as natural as our income allows (another vent is why does eating healthy cost more if you buy it all????
I second this- I dont eat as good as I should and for sure worse than I can aford to eat. But why is it so costly to eat healthy? Is it because most health food is only sold at Co/ops? And Co/ops have to stay in bussiness some how- they dont have the rush of people the super markets have- their customers are very limited- Hummmm.... I wish our country was more health friendly! I cant even get DP to eat something if it is not processed

Anyway- back to the topic at hand!

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks

RAINBOW BABY DUE MAY 4th!!!
#33 of 56 Old 08-30-2003, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I cloth diaper, but wouldn't have a homebirth, kinda odd to some I'm sure, but there are a couple of reasons. 1. I'm diabetic and would need a c-sec. like I had before (we grow huge babies, hehe) and 2. Although I love the idea of hb, the risks just seem to high to me, what if something, anything, went wrong????
lol! Me too! I'm a bad homebirth or birthcenter candidate because of my asthma. My inhaler is the same medicine they give to slow labor (a form of adrenaline) so it's a concern if I have an attack during labor. Besides, I have to admit it I really enjoyed my epidural! All of my ob care and the birth cost us $10 total. The midwife care would have cost $2000+. So that was an easy choice for this single income family. My ob is actually very natural oriented and only does intervention if it's absolutely required.

I'm happy to say that so far in all 3 of the births I've attended or will attend (one is next month) as a future doula, the moms are or will be using cloth. Of course they have to use cloth to be my friends. Just kidding! Seriously though, in my circle of mamas there are only a few who use sposies. Most of them use cloth at least part of the time.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#34 of 56 Old 08-30-2003, 03:47 AM

This is so funny just all of the combinations of parenting styles. MY dh brought up cd (although I thought about it but was not sure where to go). I was lucky my child birth ed cd and was a huge HELP.
Now that I have started my own business (cd) and am meeting more and more people that I thought for sure would cd and dont. My stepsis was very into natural living hb and did not even consider cd? She was also amazed that I did not see a midwife for my first. By pure luck and through cd I met my midwife for this baby and am excited to try out a birthcenter (partly due to lack of insurance though).
I cd from the beg, bf, and made all natural babyfood but that is pretty much the extent of it... we are all melded of very similar thread and slightly different patterns.
Caroline
#35 of 56 Old 08-30-2003, 09:54 AM

Well I totally believe in homebirth and tried to have one with DD #1 and didn't cloth diaper her until she was 6 months old. I had never heard of all the options out there. I just assumed CD were Gerber prefolds, pins, and plastic pants. I would have never even tried it until I met someone IRL who cloth diapered. I think that women just don't know what is out there and are intimidated by the washing aspect.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
#36 of 56 Old 08-30-2003, 10:24 AM

Well, some of us are high risk as they come, and if we homebirthed, we would be overhwhelmingly likely to not have a positive outcome. Because of my history, and what we've gonbe through, I would never have a homebirth.

I think of CD as a choice along the way, like vaccination (which we do) like feeding choices, like so many other things we do as parents, but as they are all choices, I don't think they are all necessarily linked or requisite of another.

I know two homebirthers in real life. Neither of them CD'd. Just me, the hospital induction queen!
#37 of 56 Old 08-31-2003, 08:11 PM

i was surprised at last lll meeting i went to, more than half of us cd now, lol

a new momma sat down next to me, dd leaned way back, therefor lifting her dress some, and new mama says :"oh you cd too she then shoewd me the spongebob dipe her ds had on, lol

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#38 of 56 Old 08-31-2003, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ellie'sMom
Though it is surprising to hear about the Amish buying sposies, I must admit that if I had no electricity, and therefore, no washing machine, cloth diapering would be a much less attractive option.

Whew. That was a major league run on sentence. Sorry. I need to go to bed!

edited for spelling, but nothing else
well.. I once bought a Fuzzibunz off ebay.. after getting an email it had a link to her site..

on her site she sold those little hats amish ladies wear, sorry if I should dumb for not knowing their name...
so obviously some amish ladies do have electricty.. Internet.. & even know how to run a website or shop online.lol

I wish I could find the link to her site..

she even hand painted my envelop!
#39 of 56 Old 08-31-2003, 11:08 PM

I am planning my 2nd homebirth, am a vegetarian, extended breastfeeder--living a fairly crunchy lifestyle, but didn't start cding my dd full time until she was 18 mo old. I started out cloth diapering on and off (flats, pins, plastic pants and wet pail--hmm, wonder why that didn't last?) but gave up after 6 months.

My midwife very briefly mentioned cloth at childbirth class, but didn't seem that dedicated either way. I think if you don't really do any research online, you have no way of knowing what's out there in the way of cloth dipes. If flats (or crap poly filled prefolds) were all that was available, very few people who could afford dispos would cloth diaper.

peace, Beth
#40 of 56 Old 09-01-2003, 02:44 AM

I have steadily been getting crunchier and crunchier. Talk to me before my dh and I TTC and I would BF for at least a year (I had heard a lot about the benefits), CD wouldn't have even crossed my mind, would never HB but would consider a birthing center - after a successful hospital birth, mama pads - what's that?, and wouldn't touch soy milk...etc...
Now, after one successful hospital birth (natural) with a fantastic doula (Hiya, Modesto Doula!!!), who CDs:
the rest of my children will be HB
I will BF until my children wean themselves,
I no longer eat cow's milk or eggs, it's soy for me!,
am considering mama pads,
have been CDing ds full-time for a week now (he's 6 months old),
can't think of more, but keep getting crunchier and crunchier!

My dh is just in shock...although after our Bradley classes and before our ds was born, he commented that he didn't see why homebirthing was such a big deal.

People are shocked I CD - I am shocked that more don't!
#41 of 56 Old 09-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Banned

I'm coming in late on this... but I had to add that I was shocked when I met with our midwife who will be attending our homebirth in December. She's not affiliated with any hospital or birthing clinic, all the births she does are home births.

When it was time to go I got handed a packet like you get at the hospital - a folder from Pampers with all kinds of blah blah about how Pampers babies are happy babies because they're dry. It was filled with coupons and the birthing kit you get also comes with free Pampers diapers, coupons, etc. I told her I wouldn't be seen carrying a Pampers folder around & threw it in the trash. Suggested she might want to promote a healthier alternative.
#42 of 56 Old 09-01-2003, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonbucket
When it was time to go I got handed a packet like you get at the hospital - a folder from Pampers with all kinds of blah blah about how Pampers babies are happy babies because they're dry. It was filled with coupons and the birthing kit you get also comes with free Pampers diapers, coupons, etc. I told her I wouldn't be seen carrying a Pampers folder around & threw it in the trash. Suggested she might want to promote a healthier alternative.
I am again amazed. I know when I was preg. with my first and went to a nurse midwife in a general practice for my first prenatal visit, she gave me a "welcome pack" with formula coupons and a Similac water bottle I was told to fill up and drink twice every day... I walked out and never came back and found my homebirth midwife... who takes no stand on diapers, but wish she'd advocate cloth

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#43 of 56 Old 09-01-2003, 05:46 PM

Well im far from a tree hugger(no offense mamas) and a crunchy mom....I think i am the furthest thing away from it...And it is amaizing to me that i see ppl here who live life so organicly(even their clothes) and then i see them go out with a huge box of Huggies or Pampers from Costco: Even weirder...Our helthfood store doesnt carry Tushies or 7th Gen. they carry huggies and pampers :

I want a water birth for my next baby but im sooooo scared since Arian and i were having so many complications it wasnt till the very end of the milisecond route that he poped out i was about to be a C-section

:My 7 year old boy Ari, my fun loving husband and my life!
#44 of 56 Old 09-01-2003, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by USAmma
My ob is actually very natural oriented and only does intervention if it's absolutely required.
Not to dis' your OB Darshani, but this gave me a chuckle. I work in L&D and the most often heard comment you hear from even the biggest jackass of an interventionist is "I only do 'x' if it is absolutely required". I mean, what OB is going to tell their pts. "I use all kinds of interventions that aren't needed, but hey, they make my life easier and that's what it's all about!"? :LOL
#45 of 56 Old 09-01-2003, 09:29 PM

boy do i second that, Mom2six!!!

I too was chuckling, not at darshani, but at the dr.

and Liya, just like all things, do the research on HB! Just as you have done w/ CD, and You will be amazed!
#46 of 56 Old 09-01-2003, 10:50 PM

Yup! A friend of mine homebirthed her 2nd but mostly because her mom had homebirths and she was friends with the midwife from her mom's births. She pumps (latch trouble so she just pumped, has done this both times) and part-time CDs. She had no idea about the nice new cloth until I showed her what I used for Ellie. She works p/t, so does cloth on the weekends.

As for the Amish... I'm shocked to go to Amish stores and find baby bottles and formula! If they don't have dishwashers, then those bottles, nipples, etc are more work! :
#47 of 56 Old 09-02-2003, 01:52 AM

My midwife regularly complains about her Amish clientel's horrible diets - white flour & white sugar largely. She says they grow these beautiful vegetables in their gardens- and sell them all to buy packaged and canned foods! So the cd's and formula at the Amish store doesn't really surprise me.
#48 of 56 Old 09-02-2003, 11:15 AM

I have seen Amish around here (WI) with some less than healthy food in their carts, but never sposie. Three things that always mark an Amish farm to me are scruffy non hybrid corn, no power lines and clotheslines with diapers (usually flats).

Many Amish have old ringer wash machines that they run with a generator. Having used ringers during my childhood I think they would do a topnotch job on diapers (at least prefolds and flats), it would kind of suck in very cold weather.

I bought some Gerber EZ covers from a company in IN that caters to the Amish. The covers worked very well for me when ds was little. I have never found them anywhere else and have since lost the address.

The only folks I know IRL are other people in my LLL group. I would say about a quarter cloth diaper. I live in an area where they make sposie and I think that is part of the reason there is so little cloth used.
#49 of 56 Old 09-02-2003, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mnnice
Many Amish have old ringer wash machines that they run with a generator. Having used ringers during my childhood I think they would do a topnotch job on diapers (at least prefolds and flats), it would kind of suck in very cold weather.
My mom and I did laundry with a ringer washer thru the cold Wisconsin winters (not Amish, though). We used CDs, too and line dried them...it is all doable and not that bad. The really bad thing to do in ringer washers are quilts and comforters- the ice cold water runs down your arms while you feed it through the ringer without jamming it (very bad when you are wearing a coat to keep warm and that gets soaked). Small things like diapers are no big deal.

OK- back on topic...

#50 of 56 Old 09-03-2003, 02:34 AM

A friend of mine is working as a part time nanny for a fairly wealthy family. She was asking me where I would shop for organic clothes, and she said they have tried "every kind of cloth diaper" out there. So I asked what they are using, and she said 7th generation disposables! : She said that they read that using disposables is better in an area with water problems (we live in CA). I sent her some links to pass on to them. I mean, if money were no object, just think of the sweet cloth diapers I could buy!
#51 of 56 Old 09-03-2003, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by abigailvr
She said that they read that using disposables is better in an area with water problems (we live in CA). I
Yeah, several of my friends in Israel told me the same thing. They didn't look so pleased when I brought up the "renewable resource vs 500 years in a landfill" arguement. I think they thought that they had the perfect way to assuage their guilty conscience and I blew it!!!
#52 of 56 Old 09-03-2003, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

I hear the water problems argument as well.

#53 of 56 Old 09-03-2003, 03:00 AM

Quote:
She said that they read that using disposables is better in an area with water problems (we live in CA).
I have heard this too. I don't buy it, though. Why not just wash your clothes a little less frequently? :

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#54 of 56 Old 09-03-2003, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

On the water issue- a ringer washer is very water efficient LOL (see Amish posts above if this makes no sense)

#55 of 56 Old 09-03-2003, 11:51 AM

I don't think there is really one mold that all people fit into. Natural Mom or Mainstream Mom -- those are merely two ends of a wide spectrum.

With my son, I was VERY mainstream. That is all I knew, really. But, once he was born it bothered me how much trash I was making with his "one-time-use diapers"! I saw a special on TV about how fast our landfills were filling up, and in our own town we were under a crisis to find a new landfill when our current one was expected to fill 15 years faster than planned! So, with that I cloth diapered my son and became VERY dedicated to recycling and buying things with less packaging.

Looking online for cloth diapering help, I found places like this were the mama's were more natural and THAT is what introduced me to AP. Before I found this site, I thought AP was the class smart kids took in high school! :LOL

So, a few years later when my daughter was born -- BECAUSE of chosing to cloth diaper for environmental reasons - I have become much more natural in other aspects of my life. But, in all honesty I haven't moved all that far down the spectrum from mainstream to natural/AP. Just a little bit.

As far as homebirthing...I guess I don't really understand what is so natural about that. Many hospitals allow water births, family rooms where dad and baby can stay in the room with mom, allow co-sleeping while in the hospital with your baby, lactation consultants on staff 24 hours a day, etc. I really liked being in the hospital for a couple days, recouping before I had to get home and take care of my family again! :LOL Most of the homebirth mamas I know did it because of a fear of the hospital and are even less natural than I am!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on this...interesting discussion!
#56 of 56 Old 09-03-2003, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Safemommy
As far as homebirthing...I guess I don't really understand what is so natural about that. Many hospitals allow water births, family rooms where dad and baby can stay in the room with mom, allow co-sleeping while in the hospital with your baby, lactation consultants on staff 24 hours a day, etc. I really liked being in the hospital for a couple days, recouping before I had to get home and take care of my family again! :LOL Most of the homebirth mamas I know did it because of a fear of the hospital and are even less natural than I am!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on this...interesting discussion!
Sorrry... but I just have to say this! There are hospitals that don't even support breastfeeding and they will tell you that formula feeding is just as good as breastfeeding and not to bother with bf. I was constantly bothered (even during the night), they kept wanting to take dd to the nursery although she was fine with me, etc. etc.

Some hospitals encourage natural births, bfing, water births etc, but many don't. IME they supported bf'ing but not the others...

At home, I never had to pack up and leave and after ds was born, I got out of the pool, crawled into my own King Koil and snuggled with my family.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page