I sent a letter to Oprah! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 11-01-2003, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So slay me, I'm a few months late, but hey . . . I'm going to mail in articles as well as some pictures. I encourage anyone else to mail in too - that email space given at the site is too small and you can't attach anything for viewing.

Oh, and edited so as not to spam.

Quote:
Dear Oprah,

Re: WAHMs (Work-at-home-Moms) selling Cloth Diapers and Natural Parenting Products.
In response to recent show on our throwaway society.

First, I can’t believe I’m writing OPRAH (now how many say that?) Okay, now that THAT is out of the way, I am finally getting around to writing you regarding a show from a few months back on our throwaway society. As you well know, the online communities world-wide discuss your show’s topics when relevant to their interests – and well, this one was relevant to the community I take part in. I believe many wrote in from our community following that show for we have a vibrant discussion forum at www.mothering.com that desires to focus on Natural Living and Parenting. Within that community is a growing number of mommas that have chosen more environmentally ‘sound’ decisions – such as to cloth diaper their children. Convictions run strong in this arena and many of us even work to sell cloth diapers and ‘like ‘accessories’ as WAHMs (Work-At-Home-Moms) in online stores. Though we aren’t filthy rich, we DO what we love – and we do it AT HOME in the midst of our families’ lives. And what is it that we DO? Well, we sell cloth diapers and all things related to naturally parent our children in a mainstream world.

I am one of these moms and I have attached some of my articles, pictures, etc. . . to give you a small peep into my life here in WAHM-World. I own two online companies – one is strictly a resource (and recently opened) at thisplace and the other is an online cloth diapering store aptly named that. You can find us at someplaceonline.

Though all WAHM stories in this field vary, I came into selling cloth diapers online with my 2nd daughter, who proved to be allergic to disposables. Once I began to research what exactly she could be reacting to, I discovered more about disposables than I preferred to know and consequently, switched to cloth. With knowledge at my fingertips, I never looked back and learned more and more – until I was writing online articles for mine and other Natural Parenting online sites. Spreading the ‘gospel’ of cloth diapering as some of my friends say.

Being a WAHM (work-at-home-mom) is most challenging. We answer emails between diaper changes and while nursing our babies (which is quite a trick actually) and process orders between sippee cup refills, potty-training, evaluating Play-Doh creations and mediating disputes. I personally have 3 children (ages 7, 3 ½ and 10 months), but many of the WAHMs have more. Some of these WAHMs share the conviction to home-school their children as well. We carry a good amount on our shoulders and are the Queen Bees of multi-tasking. We are MOMS first and fore-most, and by the way, we run businesses too.

There are moments when we want to pull our hair out and there are moments when we bask in the blessings of being home with our children. At all moments we BELIEVE in what we are doing – are proud to sell a product that isn’t our ‘grandmother’s diapers’ and to introduce mothers on a daily basis to cloth diapers in the New Millennium. We know the landfills are growing taller and there are less places to deposit the world’s trash. We are preaching the environmental aspects of cloth diapering as well as the health benefits – we are staunch believers in ‘you reap what you sow’ and we want our children’s future to be a beautiful one.

We laugh and share our funny moments – like last year when I nearly mailed off Sheriff Woody in an international package to Spain (thank goodness he was ‘missed’ by my 3 year old before naps). There are times when we share heartaches – a child is sick, a momma miscarries, a husband loses is job, how will we manage it all . . . day in and day out . . . everyday. WAHMs usually join communities like Mothering.com and we support each other – we are a ‘culture.’

I know you have done shows about WAHMs before, but I’ve not seen one that involved Moms working in the midst of their kids, selling a product that many feel is obsolete or unmanageable. We are committed and IN THE THICK OF IT - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Please see attachments.

Blessings!

Heather L. Sanders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 11-01-2003, 03:41 PM

I wanna be Heather when I grow up
#33 of 45 Old 11-01-2003, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by feebeeglee
:LOL
#34 of 45 Old 11-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by feebeeglee
:LOL me too
#35 of 45 Old 11-01-2003, 06:14 PM

AW

Okay, now get serious :LOL . . . if you haven't already - write your letters! Post them here! The more they add to their growing file, the stronger a force we can be. Make sure that you say you are from here . . . maybe the more numbers from one place will make a difference!
#36 of 45 Old 11-01-2003, 06:51 PM

I wrote mine...

Dear Opera,
Sorry, I don't have time to say much but I really wish you would consider doing a segment on the cloth diaper renaissance and the wonderful “Work at home moms” who make, sell, and distribute these little, practical, works of art. For examples please see my favorites www.fuzbaby.com , www.naturalbabies.com , www.sugarpeas.com , www.sugarbums.com .

Thanks,
Simone
#37 of 45 Old 11-01-2003, 07:08 PM

Short and sweet . . . whew . . . that gives them something to look at, eh?

THANKS!
#38 of 45 Old 11-01-2003, 07:45 PM

did anyone see that show on what i believe was "good morning america" the other morning, i think thursday, right before "ellen?"
it was about a woman who was all into strollers..they call her the stroller queen. this show did a segment on all of her fancy strollers and apparently she is in an internet group where they trade and research strollers, etc. it reminded me a bit of this CD community and thought how awesome for them to have a segment on CD with someone like heather sanders, dreaming mama, or lifetapestry who really knows all types of deluxe diapers.
i think it is just a matter of time before the new and improved cd's explode! i read an article about fuzzi bunz that said they might break the million dollar mark this year! wow!
we are getting there!
#39 of 45 Old 11-01-2003, 08:05 PM

I "know" Janet (aka Stroller Queen) from the stroller board at ParentsPlace.com and from the StrollerSwap list on Yahoo Groups. She really does collect strollers like some people collect Diapers! :LOL

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#40 of 45 Old 11-01-2003, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UlrikeDG
I "know" Janet (aka Stroller Queen) from the stroller board at ParentsPlace.com and from the StrollerSwap list on Yahoo Groups. She really does collect strollers like some people collect Diapers! :LOL
You know, initially I was thinking "Stroller, who would want to collect STROLLERS?" But then, I had to laugh at myself. Umm . . . we are a strange lot ourselves. HA! I would be interested in seeing her stroller collection. Does she have a website?
#41 of 45 Old 11-02-2003, 12:20 AM

I posted a letter, too, but didn't save what I wrote! That would be so cool if she did a show!

Jen...I live in Willowbrook...I must be just a couple miles away from you!
#42 of 45 Old 11-02-2003, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HeatherSanders
Does she have a website?
I think she has a couple of pictures up, but I couldn't find them just now.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#43 of 45 Old 11-02-2003, 08:19 AM

Oh my god!! I have thought about this soooo many times but I just never got around to writing to her. That is going to be my project this weekend. Oprah is on in Israel in the morning so when I nurse dd every morning I watch her. Every time there is a show about entrepeneurs or enviromentally friendly items etc... I think about the idea. Wouldn't that be great!

Good going

Dahlia
#44 of 45 Old 11-05-2003, 10:14 AM

you sure do have a talent for writing!! Great job!!

I sent Oprah a letter a few years ago PLUS applied for 1 of her small business contests. Never heard a peep
#45 of 45 Old 11-05-2003, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mommytomy4kids
I sent Oprah a letter a few years ago PLUS applied for 1 of her small business contests. Never heard a peep
I can't imagine the flood of letters she gets . . . so much so that right now I'm scavaging for a PHYSICAL address b/c apparently they do not accept any more physical mail. THAT WILL NOT DO b/c I have a packet prepared and though I sent an email - that is NOT enough!

Never heard a peep, eh? Well, then we need an outpouring of emails to them - a deluge, so to speak.

Maybe we should move this to activism - :LOL MAKE IT ACTIVE MOMMAS!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page