I sent a letter to Oprah! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was watching her show yesterday and they were talking about how much Americans waste and how we are such a throw away society. So I got online and wrote to her about cloth diapers!!!! Wouldn't it be wild if she did a show on cd!!!!
I feel like even if people don't want to use them, they should at least be informed before they decide not to use them, ya know? I hate it that everyone thinks they are all pins and rubber pants 30 yrs later!

Anyone wanna join the bandwagon and write to Oprah?
#2 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 04:09 PM

good for you!
#3 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 04:17 PM

That's great!!!

What's the addy you used to write to her?

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#4 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

www.oprah.com

then I went to the section about ideas for shows.
#5 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 04:32 PM

Good for you!!! That would be so cool if she did a show on it, or at least a segment. Hey, maybe she would do a blurb on bfing too.

Oh, I can see it now... she could have WAHM's on the show, and a part where babies model different dipes. How neat would that be???
#6 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

I know, as I was typing the letter I was picturing Linda on stage talking about HH,
#7 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 05:13 PM

Ya know, Oprah does a whole lot of those "I was a SAHM and I started ___ business" shows. It would be great if some of these WAHMs got recognized for their work. I can just see it now...interviews with celebrities that have ordered from that WAHM and freebies to audience members. Watch out...our little cd world could experience irreversible expansion...YAY!

Only, I really don't know if we want our favorite WAHMs to get MORE popular...
#8 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 05:35 PM

What a great idea - I just wrote to her too!!! That would be so cool to see.

Laurie wahm (virtual paralegal) of 3 wonderful boys (11, 9, 5). 1st by c-section for breech, 2 by VBAC (one miscarriage between child #1 and #2).

#9 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Banned

I'm giddy! What a great idea!!! You guys are so smart! I sent one too! What did y'all write? Here's what I wrote:

How to raise an eco-friendly family in a disposable world.
From birth to adult, little things you can change about your daily life that will help your children and family learn to respect the planet that we all share.

Groceries
Buy organic whenever possible but especially the following products because the conventionally grown versions are particularly prone to heavy pestacide contamination:
Corn – most are genetically modified
Grapes (and raisins)
Apples and apple juice
Celery
Dairy products (organic dairy cows get lots of fresh air, and are not given growth hormones or antibiotics) plus you can taste the difference – yum!

Clothing
Organic cotton – cotton is doused with chemical fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides – of all crops, the most chemicals per acre are used on cotton. Cotton seed oil is use in many packaged prepared foods!
Cloth diapers (the wonderful underground world of cloth diapering – could probably make a good show all by it’s self!) Very important – diaper your baby in cloth! Cloth diapers are soooo much easier than they used to be. I promise you that you will be amazed. So many moms out there think cloth diapers are all about pins, plastic pants and dunking. If it were REALLY that way, I wouldn’t do it either! But cloth is easy, fun, and fashionable. Did you know some Hollywood stars are closet cloth diaper-ers! Here are a few sites with info:

oops! (this is my “momma owned and operated” web shop)

http://www.theorganicreport.com/pages/59_diapers.cfm article by eco-baby for the organic trade association.

Here are some cute momma made diapers: (most companies that sell cloth diapers are momma run and a lot are home based businesses)
http://www.mylittletribe.com/ccp5/me...pinkbikini.jpg
http://www.sosdiapers.com/happycustomers.html

There’s so much more, but that’s about all that I have room for. Thanks for reading!

ETA: oops oops oops is my favorite Recipe for “Sugar Honey Iced Tea” accidently put my url in the post - sorry ladies! (realized what I did as I was pulling diapes out of the dryer - wouldn't ya know!)
#10 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 08:20 PM

I sent in a letter too. I just want to see if one little message board has the power to influence an international hit show. Any wahms and/or diapering mamas in the Chicago area should e-mail indicating a willingness and availability to share their knowledge on the show. I seem to recall that the producers like using local guests because they're easier to pull together at the last minute. I would so love to see this topic covered, but I'm even more excited to see if we're that powerful together. Just think of all the possibilities. I'm even e-mailing like minded friends who don't do MDC.
#11 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 08:25 PM

This is soooo cool, I am proud of all of you who wrote to Oprah. I think I will too if I get a chance tonight.
#12 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 09:39 PM

#13 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 11:11 PM

wouldn't it be a gas if she actually did it! and had some of us on too!!!!!!!!!!!

what would our kids wear??
#14 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my! What would the babes wear???? It would have to be thought out very carefully!! Only the absolute cutest things you have!

Are there any wahm in Chicago? Any members there?
#15 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 11:24 PM

I am only a few hours away! I would LOVE LOVE to do Oprah! LOL I e-mailed her too and I hope she at least does the show! ~
#16 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 11:27 PM

I'm not a WAHM, but I do live in the suburbs of Chicago! I can have my DS be a model.

Off to write a letter....

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#17 of 45 Old 08-29-2003, 11:27 PM

You know she just might put a show on.... there are at least 20 other ladies on the Baby Center board who are doing the same thing!! Not only to Oprah but someone is composing a letter to send to government ppl on supporting cd etc. It would be cool if Oprah did it as it is a widely watched show.

here is the link to the other thread going on over at baby center... everyone should get together to make this full forced cd-ing issue! warning its a long one!!
http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/baby.../thread/338733

Just though I'd add my .02 here

Sarah
#18 of 45 Old 08-30-2003, 12:31 AM

I live in Chicago, but I don't know if I want my, um, addiction. . .exposed.
Quote:
I hate it that everyone thinks they are all pins and rubber pants 30 yrs later!
Edited to add, but we have to be careful not to knock this system, either . . .it's cheap and effective! ('K, but I'd pick nylon/wool over rubber and a Snappi over pins, but that's just me!)

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#19 of 45 Old 08-30-2003, 01:51 AM

No No No! Don't write Oprah! If she does a show on cloth diapers, can you immagine how hard it will be to get an SOS? This could completly upset the entire cloth diapering economy!!!

Okay, just kidding. I think it's a great idea! I'm going to write a letter too!
#20 of 45 Old 08-30-2003, 07:43 AM

What an awesome idea for an Oprah show!

I'm not a big Oprah fan, but if she were to have a show on cloth dipes, I'd be there!
#21 of 45 Old 08-30-2003, 01:15 PM

I wrote a letter too! I hope she does the show!!!!!!!
#22 of 45 Old 08-30-2003, 09:25 PM

Several times a couple of years ago MANY MANY of us sent letters to Oprah....about Cding, and WAHMS.....who knows, maybe she'll finally do one. Hopefully, as usual she will do her homework and have ethical WAHMs represent the WAHM community
#23 of 45 Old 08-31-2003, 12:06 AM

I sent a letter too! And I plugged my business. :LOL I bet being on Oprah would really bring in the orders. HAHAHA
#24 of 45 Old 08-31-2003, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I wrote, too!

Kristi

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#25 of 45 Old 08-31-2003, 12:14 PM

Several other moms on a message board that I visit, the Mothering.com Diapering board, decided that we would write to you. Apparently, you recently did a show on what a throw away culture we are. Well, I feel that there is a significant, and largely unrecognized group of women who are taking one of our most obvious throw-aways, disposable diapers, and making the conscious choice to not add our waste to the mix. We choose to cloth diaper! Not only is it environmentally friendly, but there are numerous health reasons that cloth diapers and wipes are the better choice.

Gone are the days where the only option was a cotton pre-fold and a pair of rubber pants. Sure they still exist, but there are so many different choices available now. From the softest felted wool covers to a polyurethane lined All-in-One that is as simple to use as a disposable.

There are still large companies producing diapers, but also there are hundreds of work-at-home-moms who have created unique, functional, and artistically beautiful products. They do it as a way to support their families, while still being able to remain at home, but also they do it to provide us, the cloth diapering consumer with choices.

And speaking of consumers, you wouldn't believe it if I told you, but there exists a rare and much feared animal called the diaper hyena. This is a cloth diapering mama who will go to any lengths to get the "in" diaper of the moment. This is the woman who will spend over a hundred dollars at auction for *one* wool cover. This is the mama who will stay glued to her computer every minute of the day when that favorite online diaper store is scheduled to "stock". This woman lives for the thrill, and walks away happy only when she has won her prize. Who ever knew that anyone could get that excited about a diaper? It's a phenomenon that you wouldn't believe unless you had seen it.

I just think that this would make an interesting and unique idea for a show. You would be giving some work-at-home moms the recognition that is greatly deserved. It would also provide much needed information for moms willing to cloth diaper, but without the knowledge of where to begin. Just think of the impact that millions of less diapers in our landfills could have on this world. If anyone can help bring such a change around, it's Oprah.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Ostrum
(a cloth diaper consumer)

It's kind of lame, I know, but I am in Chicago, and I would love to contribute to a cloth diaper show. However, I would have to ask for a rush order on my FMBG covers..... And then, of course, I would have to order some more Toot Sweet diapers. At least I would have a good excuse to shop!
#26 of 45 Old 08-31-2003, 01:12 PM

Wow Jen, that is an excellent letter! If that doesn't provoke them to do a show, nothing will!!

I am off to write my letter.
#27 of 45 Old 08-31-2003, 01:42 PM

Here is my letter...
Hi,
I have heard through the grapevine(well on a message board, mothering.com)that a story was recently done on our throwaway society.
There are many of us out there that choose to live our lives in ways to produce less garbage. While companies like J&J, Pampers, and Huggies are busy making products that feel "feel just like cloth", we are chosing to use products that *are* cloth!
There are thousands of moms in this throwaway society chosing to use cloth diapers, wipes, and other products for their babies and themselves. There are many benefits to their choice above and beyond the environmental ones. It is healthier for baby, it supports work at home moms, and small businesses, and hey, they are cute too!!
I think this would make a great show. Most people don't know that cloth is an option anymore, and the majority definately don't know the amazing choices available for cloth diapers today. There are wonderfully absorbant fitteds diapers(with elastic, and snaps or velcro), beautiful soft wool covers, all in ones(just like a disposable, only you wash it), and these can all be made from your choice of fabrics from hemp to organic cotton.
Please help America to become healthy consumers, your influence alone could save our landfills from millions of disposable products.
Thank you,
Debi French

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#28 of 45 Old 08-31-2003, 02:36 PM

Those are great letters!

I hope she does a show. I don't watch TV anymore, but know Huggies and Pampers used to be big advertisers during daytime TV-- I wonder if this will have an impact on her decision? I don't know if these advertise on her show- I just know that in college I watched All My Children and there were a lot of disposable diaper commercials.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#29 of 45 Old 08-31-2003, 03:01 PM

I couldn't help myself. I sent one, too. I ended it by mentioning that one child in disposable diapers from birth to potty training supposedly creates 2 tons of waste! Then I said, "If even just a few people try it as a result of the show, wouldn't it be worth it?"
#30 of 45 Old 08-31-2003, 03:02 PM

Has anyone sent Oprah a picture of a cute diap? I don't want her to be bombarded by new e-mails (sounds like you ladies have done a great job of getting the word out!) but I think if the staffers at the show SAW what you are talking about, it may help influence their decision to do the show. I know Oprah is a stickler for cutesy, cool, new, unique, functional products- and awesome cloth diapers are definitely ALL THAT... I bet we'll here about this show very soon!!!
Edited to say: DUH! I just reread some posts and saw you left a link... Sorry, I am a blonde and all...

Leah coolshine.gif adoptionheart-1.gif homebirth.jpg

Hubby guitar.gif, ds (11) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, adopted dd (10) notes2.gif, dd (6) dust.gif, dd (1) femalesling.GIF & 3 foster dd's wheelchair.gif upsidedown.gif diaper.gif  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page