New idea for pocket diaper insert... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-29-2003, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, now I know this is going to make the mamas who only use all natural/organic stuff :Puke and but I just have to share...

The background is that I have two sons, 3yo and 4mo and both are HEAVY wetters. 3yo is only wearing HH trainers at night and he was peeing through them if I stuffed them with two joeys... he could get by with two joeys and a prefold, but OMG, he looked like elephant butt boy and the pants didn't fit so well, let alone the fact that he could hardly walk LOL... the 4mo was wearing HH's at night with three joey's and he looked hysterical with his legs up int he air from so much "butt packaging"... so...

I was at the 99 cent store the other day and saw one of those weird towel thingies that they sell as an alternative to chamois cloth for drying your car... so, I thought, well.... I could try that... so I bought one.

I cut "strips" that were about 5" wide off of the width end. Then folded them over and stuffed two of them into the HH trainer for my ds. Trim, trim., TRIM!!!! And they HELD ALL NIGHT!!! He usually sleeps from about 8 to about 6 but last night he slept from 730 - 730 and those inserts were SOAKED, but nothing leaked... NADA........

I think I'm going to buy more. I was able to cut six inserts from ONE 99 cent towel thing... that is too good of a bargain!!! And I figure, since they aren't touching his genitals, I'm not too worried... I'm just hapy that he's COMFY for once!!!

I'm going to try them on my 4mo in his HH and I'm also going to try encasing them in some flannel (make like a flannel "envelope") so that I can use them inside prefolds or WIO's or QD AIO's for more absorption.

Just thought I'd share... please don't hate me for using such a horrible product... it WORKS

Lo
#2 of 30 Old 08-29-2003, 09:49 PM

Ya know Lo, if it works, then more power to you. No one here is going to condemn you for wanting your baby to be comfy and dry

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
#3 of 30 Old 08-29-2003, 09:54 PM

Hey, they're reusable, so !

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

#4 of 30 Old 08-29-2003, 09:56 PM

I think that sounds way cool. What exactly are they made of? Are they the ones that feel like a very thin sponge? Or are they those microfibre things? I'm trying to picture what you are using...anyways, I think it sounds like a pretty neat idea. My DD has major bubble butt at night. It isn't a problem for us, but your tip could come in handy!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#5 of 30 Old 08-29-2003, 10:23 PM

Sounds like the Wal-Mart microfiber towels (that are just like the FuzziBunz microfiber inserts).

But that's a great find for 99 cents!!
#6 of 30 Old 08-29-2003, 10:26 PM

Someone else was talking about these. She got a bunch at Costco.
I want to know how clean they get and if they get stinky like hemp, in time. If they clean well in the washer, they sound great to me!
#7 of 30 Old 08-29-2003, 10:28 PM

That's cool! They do sound like the microfiber towels from Walmart. I just fold those in half. SUPER absorbant!!
#8 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 02:19 PM

i'm thinking she's talking about those almost rubber-like feeling cloths that you use to dry your car with, not microfiber towels. i never would have thought of using them but with our smelly hemp, anything sounds pretty good.

btw, i couldn't take those microfiber towels from wal-mart. they made my skin crawl just touching them. yuck!
#9 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

yep, they are those weird "rubbery" things you use to dry off your car. i have no clue what they are made of, there wasn't a fiber content on the package, but i know they aren't microfiber

they work like a dream and washed up beautifully... no stink and no stains yay!!

can't beat it for 99 cents!!

Lo
#10 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 04:57 PM

Are you talking about those blue things they sell at the fair also? That would be a great idea, I'm curious to hear how they hold up over time.
#11 of 30 Old 08-30-2003, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, Linda, it's just like those things they sell at the fair, only these are orange. I got them at the 99 cent store on Baltimore (by the El Torito, Burlington Coat factory, etc.)

I'm curious to see how they hold up over time, but since they are costing me a whopping 20 cents for each insert even if they only last a month I'm still ahead of the game LOL!!

I'll keep youposted on how they hold up to my "industrial" use LOL!!

Lo
#12 of 30 Old 03-31-2004, 03:16 PM

I saw something last night at Target that piqued my curiosity, so I did a search for "chamois" and found this thread!

It was some sort of cloth next to the chamois in the auto dept., "ultra absorbant" - I wonder if it's just like a chamois (but not leather)? The small size was $4-something, and I'm tempted to pick one up just to see/feel it (they were in plastic)!

Does anyone know what these are? At the risk of sounding dumb, could it possibly be harmful to a diapered-bum? We use the microfiber towels fine, they work great IMO. I'm just thinking WOW, something like this would be WAY trim in a pocket!
#13 of 30 Old 03-31-2004, 03:27 PM

i would love to hear an update on how they worked too. I know exactly what she is talking about, my dh buys it at the autozone store.
#14 of 30 Old 03-31-2004, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

i'm still using them!

i find they aren't as absorbent as hemp over time, but they mske an excellent doubler. i did contact the mfr and they told me they are made of viscose. you are supposed to let them air dry, but they get stiffas cardboard, so i dry them in the dryer and just know they won't be as effective as if i let them air dry... for 99 cents and this trim it's a steal!

Lo
#15 of 30 Old 03-31-2004, 03:40 PM

Thats a great idea, those things work great for drying our van, and thats a heck of a lot of water. Glad they are still working, thats so cheap... if we start having problems at night Im definetly remembering this!
#16 of 30 Old 03-31-2004, 03:41 PM

I believe it's 100% rayon. Competitive swimmers and divers use these to dry off and then ring them out, so that they're able to absorb more. They absorb up to 10x it's weight in any liquid. These are supposed to be wonderful for lots of things. I foundthis website that explains some of it's uses.
#17 of 30 Old 03-31-2004, 04:04 PM

You can get these microfiber towels at Costco, a package of 12 for $8.99. They are an abnoxious bright yellow and they bleed when you first wash them, so wash them by themselves 2-3 times before you use them. They have them at Walmart too. They are super absorbant and great to stuff in pocket dipes with or without a JB. I'm doing laundry and stuffing with these right now!

#18 of 30 Old 03-31-2004, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Just to clarify, the Walmart Microfiber towels are a totally different product from the one I started this thread about.

Lo
#19 of 30 Old 03-31-2004, 04:35 PM

I'm sorry Lo! I reread the thread (more carefully this time) after I was done being distracted by laundry. Now I know what you're talking about. That sounds kinda cool. What a deal for 99 cents.

Sorry I misunderstood.
#20 of 30 Old 04-01-2004, 02:22 AM

http://www.teamzoom.net/reviews/aquatowel.htm

Not a great picture, but you can get an idea of what it looks like. $4.99 at Target. Now to see if it works! I'll LYK!
#21 of 30 Old 04-01-2004, 02:50 AM

LOL!
Awhile back i mentioned to my hubby, could i use those chamois things in diapers and he LAUGHED at me, told me i was absolutely crazy!
Cant wait to tell him about this thread!
#22 of 30 Old 04-01-2004, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by momofthecloth
http://www.teamzoom.net/reviews/aquatowel.htm

Not a great picture, but you can get an idea of what it looks like. $4.99 at Target. Now to see if it works! I'll LYK!
Please let the rest of us know what you think!!
#23 of 30 Old 04-01-2004, 03:12 AM

Here is what I have http://www.usjesco.com/magicloth.asp

It is called the magicloth, and the ones I use now are as soft as the fleece inside the pocket dipes. VERY absorbant. Made in Germany. They are 100% rayon and I would think safe, because the FB inserts are a poly/rayon mix.

I got 2 2packs and a mop for like $25, they are machine washable, but do NOT dry them in the dryer. They dry pretty quick on the line or laying flat. I like them.

Here is a pic of mine... http://www.angelfire.com/film/filmart/100_0887.JPG
#24 of 30 Old 04-01-2004, 09:11 AM

WTG Lo! Time to run to my local Dollar store!
#25 of 30 Old 04-01-2004, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Joanne...

Sorry if I sounded like I was scolding you! LOLOL!! Totally didn't mean it like that!

Where are you in So Cal??? I'm in San Diego

Lo
#26 of 30 Old 04-01-2004, 05:04 PM

We have a pack of these--I use them in my kitchen.

So what's the verdict---more or the same absorbency as hemp? I don't use pockets anymore, and do try to go organic, but if I have major nighttime problems, I'll remember this....
#27 of 30 Old 04-01-2004, 10:59 PM

Hi Lo,

No, you didn't sound bothered, but I felt kind of silly for not paying enough attention to the thread! Thanks though

I'm in the OC in Orange. I love SD! I graduated from high school in Escondido (eons ago) What part of SD are you in?

Hope you enjoy those new inserts, I may have to try them.
#28 of 30 Old 04-01-2004, 11:18 PM

I'm trying the magicloth right now in DS's HH.
#29 of 30 Old 04-02-2004, 11:53 AM

So, lemme get this straight. You use these AS the insert, right? Not in addition to.
#30 of 30 Old 04-02-2004, 01:21 PM

I wrapped it in a CD burp cloth, LOL, it worked pretty good. The burpcloth was dry and the magicloth was wet, LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page