Tell me about Charlie's Soap - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have been using Charlie's for a month now, with no problems.

Today, DS1 was saying he had an "owie" in his diaper and when DH took it off, he was COVERED in a bright pink, blistering rash. The blisters are tiny - lots of raised bumps.

I know it was a reaction to the diapers because the rash was only in areas the diaper came in contact with his skin - where his paper liner was, there was no rash.

We ONLY use Charlie's. Nothing else.
We stripped our machine twice before doing any laundry at all.
We rinse our diapers on cold, then HOT wash with one scoop of Charlie's. Extra cold rise at the end.

The ONLY thing I can come up with is that sis returned some baby clothes to me that I had loaned her - they reeked of her detergent and fabric softener, so I rewashed them twice in Charlie's. Some time after that, I did the diapers. I don't know if that's the source of the problem or not, but I'm not exactly willing to risk my kids' butts and try the stuff again.

Would you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 37 Old 02-11-2008, 05:51 PM

I'll admit right now that I did not read all the previous posts. But I did want to comment on a couple things after skimming the posts.

First, my ds and I have extremely sensitive skin. I get hives from nearly all detergents ever since I was an infant. That said, Charlies is the only thing that I do not get rashes from. From what I understand, Charlies is just about pure castile soap (no dies, perfumes, additives, etc.), so I doubt it would cause a rash. Just be sure not to use too much soap...I use a half a scoop of the powder for a full load in my high-efficiency washer. We use Charlies on all our clothes and it works great!

Second, if you want to disinfect your laundry, try using grapefruit seed extract. A few drops per load will kill all bacteria, fungi, etc. But be careful, gf seed extract can irritate the skin, especially if you use too much.
#33 of 37 Old 02-11-2008, 06:19 PM

So, an update - after I posted, someone from Charlie's contact me via PM and asked to talk. I explained my wash routine and they recommended I do another wash with Charlie's and OxiClean (or a similar disinfecting solution), then a wash with just Charlie's and going forward, use Charlie's and OxiClean (and not to hesitate to use a bit more than a scoop of Charlie's). I did this and we are back to using cloth. We haven't had any serious redness, so perhaps the issue was I didn't ever get the dipes clean enough. I will say that after the initial wash with Charlie's and OxiClean, my dipes were very clean - I thought there were some stains that wouldn't come out and they did. I don't think I ever got my dipes clean and disinfected enough.

I'm going to keep the routine up and see how we do. Will post if we see any reactions.

Shop at Weedle Weedle for cloth diapers, nursing pillows, swaddle blankets and more!

Free Shipping on orders over $75!  Customer Rewards!  

#34 of 37 Old 02-11-2008, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliesmama View Post
So, an update - after I posted, someone from Charlie's contact me via PM and asked to talk. I explained my wash routine and they recommended I do another wash with Charlie's and OxiClean (or a similar disinfecting solution), then a wash with just Charlie's and going forward, use Charlie's and OxiClean (and not to hesitate to use a bit more than a scoop of Charlie's). I did this and we are back to using cloth. We haven't had any serious redness, so perhaps the issue was I didn't ever get the dipes clean enough. I will say that after the initial wash with Charlie's and OxiClean, my dipes were very clean - I thought there were some stains that wouldn't come out and they did. I don't think I ever got my dipes clean and disinfected enough.

I'm going to keep the routine up and see how we do. Will post if we see any reactions.
Yay!

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#35 of 37 Old 02-11-2008, 07:34 PM

so nice to trouble shoot!!!!
please post your experience in the charlies and diapering thread

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#36 of 37 Old 02-12-2008, 11:39 AM

I started with Charlies at the tail end of our diaper days with Nathan and never had an issue. I have been using it for our laundry ever since. I have one who cant uses cheer one who cant use All and one who cant use wisk. I got tired of playing lets see how breaks out in a rash and stuck with Charlies Ive been very happy

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#37 of 37 Old 04-05-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancta View Post
We have been using Charlie's for a month now, with no problems.

Today, DS1 was saying he had an "owie" in his diaper and when DH took it off, he was COVERED in a bright pink, blistering rash. The blisters are tiny - lots of raised bumps.

I know it was a reaction to the diapers because the rash was only in areas the diaper came in contact with his skin - where his paper liner was, there was no rash.

We ONLY use Charlie's. Nothing else.
We stripped our machine twice before doing any laundry at all.
We rinse our diapers on cold, then HOT wash with one scoop of Charlie's. Extra cold rise at the end.

The ONLY thing I can come up with is that sis returned some baby clothes to me that I had loaned her - they reeked of her detergent and fabric softener, so I rewashed them twice in Charlie's. Some time after that, I did the diapers. I don't know if that's the source of the problem or not, but I'm not exactly willing to risk my kids' butts and try the stuff again.

Would you?
I wanted to update my post for anyone who's interested. We're back to Charlie's again and LOVING it again.

The rash turned out not being at all from the detergent itself, but a bacteria rash because the Charlie's was going to work on our hard water and not enough detergent was left to work on the crud. So the remedy was one capful of Calgon water softener, the scoop of Charlie's, and I add in a TBSP of bleach just for safe measure. Since switching to that routine, there is absolutely no rash at all and the diapers are wonderfully clean (and soft).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page