Can not drinking enough water cause smelly urine? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-05-2003, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd will be 1 on Wednesday. She barely eats any solids. She nurses all day and normally once at night. Lately her urine smells like amonia. Nighttime diapers especially but some durring the day as well. I don't think I have buildup and I know my diapers are geting clean. I have a mixture of Liz's Cloth, ME OS, and CPFs. So I don't have anything really thick.

I don't want to use bleach and I am not sure it would help anyway. I just think her urine smells stronger. I know she doesn't have an infection or anthing like that.

My mom suggested that maybe she needs to be drinking more water. She won't drink from a sippy cup unless I remove the valve. I don't normally give it to her but probably every other day. Should I be giving her more water even though she nurses so much? Do you think the water could help with my diaper stinkies?

TIA
#2 of 6 Old 09-05-2003, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, as long as you're SURE you don't have build up, then you could give you little one water to help with smellies. My dd is 10 mos and has been drinking water from a sippy cup since 3 months old. Other than that, she is exclusively breastfed. Sometimes she drinks the water really well, other times she pours it out. I don't force her to drink. It has proved very valuable when she has a cold. Water is nature's expectorant (as her ped says).

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
#3 of 6 Old 09-05-2003, 03:07 AM

Here's a short exerpt from a Canadian study:
"Once your older baby is beginning to drink from a cup, water is usually a better choice than juice. It's the best drink for satisfying thirst, and doesn't have all the sugar that fruit juices do. But until your baby's diet includes a variety of foods, she will get all the water she needs from breastmilk or formula"

http://www.todaysparent.com/baby/foo...p?content=1240

That leads me to believe that since your dd is still breastfeeding on demand, she is getting enough water. Breastmilk is 88% water................You need to be sure that water is not replacing the bm.

Terri, sewing mama to 4 beautiful girls and the boy, Finn. We novaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifh20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gifsewmachine.gif since 1996!
#4 of 6 Old 09-05-2003, 03:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I agree with Terri. But, keep in mind that water holds no nutritional value and will not satisfy a hungry baby. zthere are two sides to every coin. Moderation is the key.

Married to my high school sweetheart. We have four awesome kids.
#5 of 6 Old 09-05-2003, 04:32 AM

My babies go through this occasionally but then it stops. Don't know what causes it but I would prefer they have breastmilk over water.
#6 of 6 Old 09-05-2003, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies. That is exactly what I thought. That she needs the breastmilk, especially since she doesn't eat much solid food. I didn't think the water was necessary either. That is why I haven't been giving it to her. Just thought I would get your take on mom's advice.

I just put vinegar in my rinse and no bubbles. I think I am going to do a few hot washes without detergent today and see if that helps.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page