Would you buy used cloth diapers? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Would you diaper your baby in used cloth diapers?
Yes 265 80.06%
No 66 19.94%
Voters: 331. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 03-12-2008, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
I'd be curious to know how many "no" people would turn to "yes" people if underwear were $15+ a pair.
Me! I'd still be picky and would only accept them if they were the right sort of undies though.
#32 of 55 Old 03-12-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucactus View Post
yes to diapers, no to underwear. adults and their diseases and infections are way grosser than baby poop lol!
:

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#33 of 55 Old 03-12-2008, 07:27 PM

Right now, no.

I have squeamish issues and am a major germ-phobe. My hands are falling apart from all of the washing that I do.

It's a major reason that I've had trouble becoming more green in the first place - my addiction to paper towels. But I'm working on that issue and am using a dishcloth and towel much more often now.

I want to cloth diaper but it's got to be new or I just can't do it.
#34 of 55 Old 03-12-2008, 07:47 PM

Absolutely. Heck of a lot cheaper, and as long as they don't smell, no problem with me.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#35 of 55 Old 03-13-2008, 03:34 AM

"I'd be curious to know how many "no" people would turn to "yes" people if underwear were $15+ a pair."

I would go commando. Dipes are different because they are for pooping/peeing and I am toilet trained.
#36 of 55 Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 AM

it's not even a matter of if underwear were $15 a pair - i don't go through a dozen or more of them in a day! so even if they were $15 a pair, if i needed to be frugal i could certainly wash a couple times a week and manage to only buy like 3 pairs. three diapers isn't going to last me the morning with a newborn, especially since we EC with diaper back-up and change after every pee.

if i went through over a dozen pairs of underwear each day and they cost $15/ea and i outgrew them in a few months, you bet i'd buy them used!
#37 of 55 Old 03-13-2008, 12:02 PM

Surprising nobody has mentioned the environmental benefits of re-using cloth!
:

I think it's a fantastic idea, providing they've been well looked after.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#38 of 55 Old 03-13-2008, 12:38 PM

Yes, we use used diapers! About half or ours were given to us by another mom who had no more need for them.
#39 of 55 Old 03-13-2008, 12:54 PM

I have underwear that were $15+ and I would never buy used! And some of my diapers cost twice that and some. lol

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
#40 of 55 Old 03-13-2008, 04:23 PM

yes I would. I am selling a lot on diaperswappers right now as a matter of fact(or will be as soon as I figure the pic thing out). another thing to think about....we obsess over our dipes: everyone I have talked to in my 4 years of diapering! that being said.......they are probably more well cared for than any other item in the house! my dipes.....not a stain on them! as far as bacteria and stuff.....nahhhh....not worried.
#41 of 55 Old 03-13-2008, 05:56 PM

I have bought used diapers but have not been happy with them. Not b/c they were used, the actual style of diaper just didn't work out. Glad I didn't pay full price to find out. I think at this point the only thing I would buy used is FB or BG. Or maybe ME. ME is so cheap second hand! And no to the used underwear. My dd used her cousins sz 2 undies for awhile and it didn't bother me. But I don;t know if I'll even pass her undies to her sister. Probably not since they seem to be wearing out already.

Leslie, mama to Paige 8, Zara 3 and Audrey, Sophia & Nina June 7/11 @32.6
angel1.gifOct/01angel1.gif July/10angel1.gif Sept/10

#42 of 55 Old 03-13-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
If you want to include non-TAO members you might want to post the other poll in Mindful Home Management rather than TAO.

TAO= "Talk Amoungst Ourselves" and is only open to members with at least 50 posts and 60 days of membership.

I had some cloth diapers and covers gifted to me when I first switched DS from disposables to cloth. I was very grateful for the diapers and used them.

Also, ahem -- some people may not be welcome there for 30 days. Not mentioning any names or anything. :
#43 of 55 Old 03-13-2008, 07:11 PM

Havent read an answer but for me yes to the diapers no for myself.. Simpily the um secreations were talking from a baby toddler is pee/poo and dirt food all that can be washed well and sanitized and just feel well normal.. There is other stuff exchanged in adults and sanitized or not is just not the same and for me an ick factor. Also I buy and pass on cloth still in good grat or at least decent use my undies don't get tossed till they are threadbare and torn to pieces

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#44 of 55 Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliesara63 View Post
I have bought used diapers but have not been happy with them. Not b/c they were used, the actual style of diaper just didn't work out. Glad I didn't pay full price to find out. I think at this point the only thing I would buy used is FB or BG. Or maybe ME. ME is so cheap second hand! And no to the used underwear. My dd used her cousins sz 2 undies for awhile and it didn't bother me. But I don;t know if I'll even pass her undies to her sister. Probably not since they seem to be wearing out already.
Please tell me where I can find ME AIO's cheap second hand, please, please!
#45 of 55 Old 03-14-2008, 03:08 AM

I'd probably only buy used cloth if I knew the person. Otherwise I'd use some disposables and some cloth until I built up a big enough stash.

I answered "yes" though because I may consider buying used cloth diapers from a stranger, if money was tight or something.

Lu - A ten year plan is forming, here's hoping everything lines up
#46 of 55 Old 03-18-2008, 12:14 PM

All the cloth diapers I've bought have been used! But I would not buy used adult underwear. I know why people sell cloth diapers used, as their kids will obviously outgrow the sized ones, etc. But people selling (or giving away) used adult underwear? Let's just say I don't trust their motives near so much.
#47 of 55 Old 03-18-2008, 02:53 PM

I voted no becasue I have attempted to buy used cd and wasted money on them becasue I am too grossed out by them or I have gotten gross stuff in the mail recently that is supposed to be a EUC but its not even in GUC so I won't even use them. Plus it cost to much with shipping! I bought used covers becasue I wasn't as grossed out but I will never again buy anything used I have decided!!!!! I have used freinds cds before but I know them and it seems to make it a little better even though I wouldn't use their underwear I hope that made sense I am NAKing

Jennifer, SAHM to my little man 5 1/2 and my VBAC sweetie pie girls 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 6mos. 

#48 of 55 Old 03-19-2008, 12:29 PM

I will give it a try. I am not sure! Depends upon what the condition of the diaper is. I'd have no problem buying them from a trusted source though.
#49 of 55 Old 03-19-2008, 12:53 PM

most of my diapers were boiught used

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#50 of 55 Old 03-19-2008, 02:01 PM

I can wash diapers on hot and dry them on high heat. Heck, I can boil prefolds and cotton fitteds. Lots of adult (women's) underwear won't hold up to that kind of abuse.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#51 of 55 Old 03-19-2008, 03:12 PM

I've bought several diapers on DiaperSwappers. I only buy ones in EUC with no stains, and I wash them on hot before using. One time, the inserts that came with my used diapers were stained and wouldn't wash out, so I just tossed them. I knew they were technically disinfected, but the staining from some other kid grossed me out.

ETA - I use pockets, which clean very easily and I can easily replace inserts if they're yucky. Not sure that I'd buy used AIO since I'd worry about getting the inside clean.
#52 of 55 Old 03-20-2008, 12:00 AM

NO to used underwear, YES to used diapers.

$15. a pair? Ehhh.... I'd be real darn careful of how mine underpants are treated and I'd still be saying NO to used.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#53 of 55 Old 03-20-2008, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue butterfly View Post
all of my diapers but one was bought used. i can't afford to buy brand new cds yet it is very important to me to CD so used is the way i go!
:

I do have new prefolds, though. They seem to be harder to find used. I don't care about stains but broken elastic or snaps are past my ability to fix if the dipe is priced high. I did get some good snappi-type dipes with a few holes for $5. That was awesome. They are super soakers!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#54 of 55 Old 03-20-2008, 03:07 PM

I prefer new cloth, but do have some hand-me-down diapers. I just bleach the heck out of them when I get them. After all, hospitals reuse linens and such after they have been soaked in blood, fecal matter, mucous, urine, etc. of people who are infected with various pathogenic bacteria and viruses. If properly laundered, they're fine. Some hospitals even use cloth diapers. And diaper services reuse.

I buy new undies because they're cheap and I definitely get my use out of them, but used undies would actually be fine after a hot wash with bleach and a hot drier cycle. Its a personal preference to buy new, not a safety issue.

Mama to two sweet boys and a baby girl.  
#55 of 55 Old 03-27-2008, 10:02 PM

i voted yes. i'm not rich! however, i love motherease/sandy's now and they're tough to find used, so i've been buying them all new.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page